Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:13:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

World is still fucked

Started by bgmnts, July 26, 2021, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 05, 2021, 02:39:36 PM
Wales' new climate minister is Richard D. James' sister https://www.nme.com/news/music/wales-new-climate-change-minister-is-aphex-twins-sister-3011575

She gave us legal advice about 12 years ago when we opted out of the central government procurement service for a group energy contract.  Didn't realise she was related (not that I'm a fan of or have any political interest in Aphex Twin) until this post. 

Twit 2

Anyone deciding to have kids from now on in is out of their mind. I shit myself about my daughter (born 2010) and I see my mates having kids now, even ones who follow climate news and I just can't understand it. Insane optimism.

katzenjammer

Ditto. Mine were 2004 and 2007. Climate crisis was predicted for showing effects in about 2100 back then. If the news was like it is now I'd have had the snip instead

Petey Pate

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 05, 2021, 06:27:31 PM
Anyone deciding to have kids from now on in is out of their mind. I shit myself about my daughter (born 2010) and I see my mates having kids now, even ones who follow climate news and I just can't understand it. Insane optimism.

Completely agree, I even know people involved with XR who have recently given birth. I'd be amazed if I even survive to old age at this rate, let alone any hypothetical children of mine.

chveik

i can't help to feel the same way (my niece was born this year) but tbf we already knew all about it ten years ago. i suppose scientists' reports didn't get as much as coverage as they do now

Sebastian Cobb

Perhaps it's overly cynical but maybe they're putting their desire to be a parent over anything else? So selfishness maybe.

Even casting aside things like climate collapse, or any of the myriad of other problems facing us thanks to late-stage capitalism, at a basic level, I fundamentally dislike series of chores modern life entails just to survive and really resent having them bequeathed upon me with no real say in the matter. I wouldn't want to do the same to someone else.

Chedney Honks

I guess parents think they'll be dead anyway so the kids can go fuck themselves 🤣🤣🤣

katzenjammer

Although assuming you wanted children,  if you could pick a time in history to have them, when would you?

Any time before 1900 there's like a 50% chance of them not making it through childhood. 20th century you've got World War I, Great Depression, Spanish flu, World War II, Cold War/threat of nuclear and AIDS. Is now really any worse?

phes

Time for more kids, not fewer. Facepalm as you watch your only child obliterated by a lahar and realise your cupboards are empty 

Shit Good Nose

Can't even have a child without going to climate prison now.  #thiscountr

Kankurette

I've always been childfree and climate changes makes me even more glad I am.

bgmnts

Being an antinatalist, everytime I see my little cousins I make sure to boot them really hard up the arse and spit on them every time I see them.

imitationleather

But what if my unborn children love floods?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: imitationleather on August 05, 2021, 09:52:26 PM
But what if my unborn children love floods?

OR....or....what if they come up with an immediate easy, fast and dirt cheap resolution to the global climate crisis?  Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh........

Sherringford Hovis

I'm actually quite pleased that everyone's going to die around the same time that I am. I've heard that death might otherwise be quite lonely.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 05, 2021, 07:57:02 PM
Perhaps it's overly cynical but maybe they're putting their desire to be a parent over anything else? So selfishness maybe.

It's absolutely this. Everyone expects everyone else to make the sacrifices to save the planet.

And in some ways I can't blame them. There's been so much burden put on the young to prop up the unsustainable living standards of the old, that I can't really blame them for wanting something to enjoy, whether that be holidays, a family or some nice clothes.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 05, 2021, 09:20:48 PM
Can't even have a child without going to climate prison now.  #thiscountr

I guess I'm "childfree by choice" but the whole childfree/antinatalist movement is something I just can't relate to and which isn't me. The way I see it, I don't want kids and don't want to be judged, so I won't judge those who do want kids. Have kids, don't have kids- whatever.

phes

It's an emotive subject and apparently people will be mushroom cloud sized bellends about it

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: phes on August 06, 2021, 07:00:00 PM
mushroom cloud sized bellends

I have said several times about going to see a doc about it, but the CaB hive mind completely ignores me.  I mean it's even starting to affect the wimmins of CaB now.

Too late for apologies, but I retain the right to be smug.

Blue Jam

...so "mushroom cloud-sized bellends" is the opposite of phimosis, yes?

bakabaka

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on August 05, 2021, 10:26:45 PM
I've heard that death might otherwise be quite lonely.
Not at all. People you haven't heard from in decades suddenly reappear when you're at death's door to see you off and make sure you don't back out of it at the last minute. I was a huge disappointment to many of my old friends when I decided to go the long way round.

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 06, 2021, 08:05:05 PM
...so "mushroom cloud-sized bellends" is the opposite of phimosis, yes?

No, the opposite of phimosis is a foreskin so loose that the entire head and shaft fall out the end like a sausage squeezed out of its casing.

I booked a holiday in Malisia earlier in the week, but subseqently found out the beech has pretty much been washed away.   Also in recent years the Sea is now full of Jellyfish, so you cant really swim thier anymore.  The place used to be lovely by all accounts.  Feel sad for the locals.

Kankurette

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 06, 2021, 05:59:45 PM
I guess I'm "childfree by choice" but the whole childfree/antinatalist movement is something I just can't relate to and which isn't me. The way I see it, I don't want kids and don't want to be judged, so I won't judge those who do want kids. Have kids, don't have kids- whatever.
Same, and I don't want to live in a society where reproductive rights are controlled by the government.

chveik

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on August 07, 2021, 02:18:22 PM
I booked a holiday in Malisia earlier in the week, but subseqently found out the beech has pretty much been washed away.   Also in recent years the Sea is now full of Jellyfish, so you cant really swim thier anymore.  The place used to be lovely by all accounts.  Feel sad for the locals.

i really wonder why that is

steve98

Seems like the future's bright for jellyfish

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on August 05, 2021, 10:26:45 PM
I'm actually quite pleased that everyone's going to die around the same time that I am.

The worst thing about death is that traditionally life tends to carry on when someone dies. In a couple of decades that problem will be removed so in that way it's good news.