Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,472
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

World is still fucked

Started by bgmnts, July 26, 2021, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: katzenjammer on August 10, 2021, 09:04:16 PM
Good idea! But will speaking in a squeaky voice really help?

Did it help for the Coronation St one

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Uncle TechTip

It's gonna get so hot, milk bottles will melt.

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on July 27, 2021, 02:02:36 PM
Fuck yes.

(Unfortunately, they've started demolishing this now although some bits will still be too radioactive for demolition until the 2070s.)

"The Welsh government has chosen a leading UK civil nuclear executive to resurrect Trawsfynydd, the site of one of Britain's first atomic energy plants, using a new breed of small reactors, according to people briefed on the appointment.

The Cardiff administration has recruited Mike Tynan, a former head of UK operations at US nuclear engineering group Westinghouse, to a new publicly-owned development company charged with exploiting the "economic benefits" of small-scale reactors at Trawsfynydd in north Wales.

Developers of so-called small modular reactors including Rolls-Royce say they can be built in factories and assembled on site, thereby reducing the costs and complexities associated with large-scale nuclear energy plants such as the 3.2 gigawatt Hinkley Point C power station currently under construction in Somerset, which is running well over budget.

The small scale reactors have been identified by both Welsh ministers and the UK government as a potentially important technology to help meet Britain's 2050 net zero emissions target, as well as creating new engineering and manufacturing jobs."

https://www.ft.com/content/70c7d7d7-6658-4d6a-9370-64087bf314e7

Hmm.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: katzenjammer on August 10, 2021, 07:53:52 AM
What is this 'tech'? Is it proven? Does it scale? Where does the 35 billion tonnes of CO2 go?

Recycling bin

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on August 25, 2021, 06:43:34 PM
"The Welsh government has chosen a leading UK civil nuclear executive to resurrect Trawsfynydd, the site of one of Britain's first atomic energy plants, using a new breed of small reactors, according to people briefed on the appointment.

The Cardiff administration has recruited Mike Tynan, a former head of UK operations at US nuclear engineering group Westinghouse, to a new publicly-owned development company charged with exploiting the "economic benefits" of small-scale reactors at Trawsfynydd in north Wales.

Developers of so-called small modular reactors including Rolls-Royce say they can be built in factories and assembled on site, thereby reducing the costs and complexities associated with large-scale nuclear energy plants such as the 3.2 gigawatt Hinkley Point C power station currently under construction in Somerset, which is running well over budget.

The small scale reactors have been identified by both Welsh ministers and the UK government as a potentially important technology to help meet Britain's 2050 net zero emissions target, as well as creating new engineering and manufacturing jobs."

https://www.ft.com/content/70c7d7d7-6658-4d6a-9370-64087bf314e7

Hmm.

I'd heard about these Rolls Royce small-scale reactors and thought they sounded pretty intriguing. I'm not saying it's good exactly, but it's nice to hear about something and it looking like it might come to be something useful rather than whatever the physical-engineering version of 'vapourware' is.

Vinnie01

Quote from: katzenjammer on August 10, 2021, 09:04:16 PM
Good idea! But will speaking in a squeaky voice really help?

I had a boss who had squeaky, she was called Mrs Squeaky voice and the colleagues would put her voice on.
Yes the world is fucked big time and going to get worse big time, more people getting ill.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Vinnie01 on September 22, 2021, 04:37:18 AM
I had a boss who had squeaky, she was called Mrs Squeaky voice and the colleagues would put her voice on.
Yes the world is fucked big time and going to get worse big time, more people getting ill.

"I had a boss who had squeaky, she was called Mrs Squeaky voice "

That's one hell of a coincidence!

Vinnie01

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 22, 2021, 04:57:38 AM

Its bad enough dreaming of her, at least she wasn't squeaky then and she was a nicer person to her at work as she was quite rude a lot of time.

I made her in to witch on 1 of the python games based on Granny's Garden as I was making a mockery of it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 22, 2021, 04:57:38 AM

Nominative determinism imo.

Vinnie01

Her squeaky voice was caused by Acid reflux damaging the voice box.
She is not easy to hear either. She can be extremely rude to the staff.

The other staff likes to put her voice on and mocking how she tells them off.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 26, 2021, 10:33:39 PM
I'd heard about these Rolls Royce small-scale reactors and thought they sounded pretty intriguing. I'm not saying it's good exactly, but it's nice to hear about something and it looking like it might come to be something useful rather than whatever the physical-engineering version of 'vapourware' is.
The PWR3 reactor they are building for the new Dreadnought-class Trident nuclear submarines is based on the US S9G reactor designed by GE. The  PWR2 used in the previous Astute class submarines was based on a US Westinghouse design and had some critical safety vunerabilites. Developments of it were rejected by the government for powering the new submarines.

RR's reactor design experience basically comes down to modifying existing US designs, unfortunately. As well as that, other than the basic principles, the design of a reactor for a submarine isn't that applicable to civil power generation. Submarine reactors are treated as 'sealed units' - they are filled with highly enriched uranium fuel when they are commissioned and sealed. The fuel is expected to last 20-30 years and then the whole reactor is removed and replaced (in the event the vessel is only being refitted and not scrapped). In their SMR publicity material RR lean heavily on their submarine reactor experience on one hand, but then also say the operational requirements for an SMR are very different to that of a submarine reactor. Their SMR design is more like a scaled-down conventional PWR reactor, which will need periodic refuelling with normal enriched uranium, so thier previous submarine experience doesn't really apply.

Aside from the reactor, one of the more shameful aspects of any UK SMR programme is that we would need to import the steam turbines used for power generation, as the UK no longer has any manufacturing capability for them.