Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marble Arch shit heap

Started by WhoMe, July 27, 2021, 06:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoMe

Looks alright?

Ah

Good summary on the inevitable half-arsed shitness of this here:

https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1419787260107558918

Don't worry, there are fast track tickets available.

Sebastian Cobb

Just looks like some metal fencing on a hill

Norton Canes

Ironically looks like a level from Marble Madness

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 27, 2021, 06:44:33 PM
Ironically looks like a level from Marble Madness

The Lemmings statue in Dundee is way cheaper and better.

Mr Banlon

The Tyburn Execution Mound for when we 'Bring back 'angin !'

flotemysost

Even my houseplants are in finer fettle than those poor sods, and they're in a pretty advanced state of neglect. Surprised they haven't built a floating infinity pool suspended between it and the arch.

C_Larence

They got rid[nb]moved further up the road towards hyde park[/nb] of my favourite statue for this!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Still_Water_sculpture%2C_Marble_Arch%2C_London.jpg

imitationleather

Just makes me wish we'd go to see what the Garden Bridge would have actually ended up looking like.

Dr Rock

Psybro

I was impressed by the High Line in New York 11 years ago, I never knew how many cursed half-arsed versions of it we'd be getting.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Psybro on July 27, 2021, 08:13:26 PM
I was impressed by the High Line in New York 11 years ago, I never knew how many cursed half-arsed versions of it we'd be getting.
We had the Parkland Walk in London before the High Line anyway. Should put more money into that, rather than funding new 'this'll be shit I reckon' projects.

gilbertharding

It's never not funny how much Architecture Twitter HATE Heatherwick.

I know this isn't him (is it?). I hate him too.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

They're charging people to go up some poxy steps?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 27, 2021, 09:48:19 PM
They're charging people to go up some poxy steps?

In London.

I think they must have forgotten that there are no Americans (or Russians, or Chinese I guess) in town and won't be for quite a while.

idunnosomename

marble arch is one of the worst places in the fucking world

Buelligan

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 27, 2021, 06:51:14 PM
The Tyburn Execution Mound for when we 'Bring back 'angin !'

It's coming home!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Okay I get there being a charge to go into the mound itself since it's supposed to be a swanky "exhibition space" and presumably if they didn't charge people at the bottom of the steps they'd fuck off back down the steps rather than pay to go out through the mound past the price-gouging souvenir and coffee shops (coming September 2022) but for fuck's sake

Mr Banlon

Quote from: imitationleather on July 27, 2021, 08:03:16 PM
Just makes me wish we'd go to see what the Garden Bridge would have actually ended up looking like.
I reckon it would have ended up as more of a house-arse bridge.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 27, 2021, 08:49:47 PM
We had the Parkland Walk in London before the High Line anyway. Should put more money into that, rather than funding new 'this'll be shit I reckon' projects.

The campaign to convert the Northern City Line starts now.

Jittlebags

Boris has probably got a secret wanking chamber underneath.

metaltax

I've clearly become far more green-fingered than I ever thought because the thing that fucks me off the most about this is installing a load of trees into a temporary structure, as if it's fine to just rag them around now and then do it again at some indeterminate point in the future (although the way it's going that's probably going to be the beginning of September). They're maturing trees for fuck's sake, not something you bash out on a production line in 20 minutes.

Spoon of Ploff

Glebe

Dr Rock

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 27, 2021, 10:32:42 PM
marble arch is one of the worst places in the fucking world

Yeah it's really depressing that end of Oxford Street. It could do with something nice to look at, the arch itself doesn't go far. Honestly that pile of shit improves it.

Glebe

imitationleather

It does really capture the artificial, windswept and desolate atmosphere of the Olympic park without having to go all the way to east London, though.

idunnosomename

it needs the big twisty dick thing though. and a canal. actually the canal is quite nice. and they've got that garden flyover at Mile End.

as much as I hate Oxford Street, have done some successful shops for clothes there from time to time

peanutbutter

It's not really Marble Arch that's the issue though, is it? Once you're at Marble Arch you're right beside Hyde Park and sure it's okay enough. It's the 5-10 minute stretch of misery that is that end of Oxford Street that's the problem.

I quite like the Olympic Park tbh, mostly cos big chunks of wind up empty a lot of the time and it's got a vibe that it's just barely being maintained. Actively a fan of the big red twisty piece of shit at this stage too.