Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:48:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Marble Arch shit heap

Started by WhoMe, July 27, 2021, 06:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

From the website

"You will not miss the 25-metre-high mound when you arrive"

Did Westminster Council pay the £2m for the mound? I don't think they'll get a lot of money back in ticket sales.

Janie Jones

£2M seems ridiculously cheap to me, for central London. You'd struggle to get a two storey extension to a 2-bed end terrace house for much less than £100K so for this huge shit heap to be merely 20 times more seems an order of magnitude out.

steveh

It is mostly rented scaffolding, which I assume doesn't cost that much. Still not a great deal of money for adding anything interesting to it though.

dissolute ocelot

There were reports recently about banning people from Primrose Hill (maybe in evenings). Surely the two are related, except Primrose Hill is free and nice.

Paul Calf

Hang on, is that now considered the grotty end of Oxford Street? It used to be Tottenham Court Road end.

H-O-W-L

Just some blue light beouncing off a strut!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 29, 2021, 09:11:01 AM
Hang on, is that now considered the grotty end of Oxford Street? It used to be Tottenham Court Road end.

It's all grotty, but I can't imagine any reason to go to the Marble Arch end, the other end is near places I might want to go like the Phoenix, the 100 Club, other venues whereas the far end just has all the same shops as the other end while not being near anything any good (okay, Hyde Park but I can get there without touching Oxford Street) and further from the transport hubs. Less grotty than pointless.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The title o this thread can, of course, been sung along to a song from the soundtrack of the album  of the trailer of the film " Grease" ( Dir. Robert Stigwood, 1978)- BUT WHICH ONE?

This has now been closed, they're not sure when it's going to re-open but have said "it's clear this is not ready".

Shit heap.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@FlyingQuercus
The Marble Arch Hill reminds me of Thorpe Arch trading estate, but with less.

https://twitter.com/FlyingQuercus/status/1420140367006113792

Personally I think they should rename it the Brexit Attraction. Expensive, disappointing and you can look really hard for ages but won't be able to see anything positive.

Fambo Number Mive

As someone said on Twitter, isn't the actual arch at Marble Arch more of a reason for people to visit the area than a tacky viewing platform? And you can look at the arch for free.

They should have made a massive pair of buttocks that people could climb up and called it Marble Arse. I'd pay up to £4 to do that.

Ferris

Mega-budget "winter wonderland deso" but it's summer and in London.

Glebe

Rodney's gonna have to paint a new one now.

Goldentony

is the marble arch anywhere near the angel islington or the croydon you slag

Glebe

Mr Banlon

Rabid right-wing cunt blames leftie/snowflake Khan for Marble Arch Mound even though it was built and paid for by the Tory Westminster City Council. Bunch of thick fucking racist wankers piling on in the comments : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4YisY6l70Y

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 30, 2021, 12:52:05 AM
Rabid right-wing cunt blames leftie/snowflake Khan for Marble Arch Mound even though it was built and paid for by the Tory Westminster City Council. Bunch of thick fucking racist wankers piling on in the comments : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4YisY6l70Y

I've replied to as many as I can be bothered to... but:

Quote from: RacistMouthBreather8943I do hope they got some structural engineers to check that the support pillars and retaining walls underneath this that hold up the underground car park roof and walls can take this additional weight.

*sigh* It's not *actually* a pile of earth, but I would have thought that was one of the first things they did, yes mate.

Fambo Number Mive

I like how he puts "THE VOI CE OF REA SON" after his name as if that's more likely to persuade people. Seems to be addicted to emojis.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 27, 2021, 09:44:48 PM
It's never not funny how much Architecture Twitter HATE Heatherwick.

I know this isn't him (is it?). I hate him too.

MVRDV

It looks like they wanted it to be covered in shrubs but the slopes are so steep you couldn't hold any soil so they've pretty much just draped turf over it. The stair doesn't exactly blend in. I think it looks a bit better seen from other angles when you don't see that blank white wall.

Consignia

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 30, 2021, 12:52:05 AM

Quote from: Jackie O
It seems Khan, Patel and Rishi just want to give our money away. I wonder why ???

👍 166

Where to start?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on July 30, 2021, 11:32:13 AM
MVRDV

It looks like they wanted it to be covered in shrubs but the slopes are so steep you couldn't hold any soil so they've pretty much just draped turf over it. The stair doesn't exactly blend in. I think it looks a bit better seen from other angles when you don't see that blank white wall.

Fucking hell - there's THOUSANDS of them: https://www.mvrdv.nl/about/team all churning out plausible renders of... what? Form over function whimsey. Not that there's anything wrong with whimsey, occasionally - I mean, this is literally a folly.

Fambo Number Mive

"Marble Arch Hill will redefine the connection between Oxford Street and Hyde Park"

Is anyone really going to bother visiting this who wasn't already walking past and is rich enough to waste money on climbing a mound to look out over a rubbish view? How many people are going to use this per day? Six?

Reminds me of Boris Johnson's cable car, which cost the public £24m despite Johnson saying the cost of the scheme would not be underwritten by taxpayers.

gilbertharding

Boris Johnson's cable car* is at least useful for those people who live in Kent, and want to get to the ExCel Centre once or twice a year, and park their car at the Millennium Dome.

*I'm trying to get 'Dangleway' to happen

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 30, 2021, 12:37:24 PM
Boris Johnson's cable car* is at least useful for those people who live in Kent, and want to get to the ExCel Centre once or twice a year, and park their car at the Millennium Dome.

Except it's slower and more expensive than the public transport connection from the dome to Excel that already existed before it was built. I quite like the cable car, it's a fun thing to do once a year if, like me, you live near it but it has zero utility as part of London's public transport system.

gilbertharding

Jubilee Line to Canning Town and then a bus? And (according to google) it's 5 minutes slower? Fair enough. I would automatically reject any journey plan which involved a London bus though (unless I was with someone who knew what they were doing). I'd be too worried I'd be stood on the wrong side of the road, and end up in Wanstead or something. How far is it to walk from Canning Town to the Excel?

Ah - just seen there's a DLR link too.

*breathes again*

Bernice

Yeah the Emirates Sky Line [nb]TM[/nb] is at least a bit of a laugh. Can combine it with a go on the DLR and a Thames Clipper for the Tube Map Funtime Trifecta. End the day in Greenwich chuckling at the Cutty Sark: "Hey boat, mate, where you going? Oh what's that, nowhere? Not on water and can't go nowhere? Lol".

gilbertharding

Quote from: Bernice on July 30, 2021, 01:49:25 PM
Yeah the Dangleway[nb]TM[/nb] is at least a bit of a laugh. Can combine it with a go on the DLR and a Thames Clipper for the Tube Map Funtime Trifecta. End the day in Greenwich chuckling at the Cutty Sark: "Hey boat, mate, where you going? Oh what's that, nowhere? Not on water and can't go nowhere? Lol".

Dusty Substance

Yeah, I quite like it. Reminds of those apocalyptic scenes in The Girl With All The Gifts where brutalist architecture is defeated by overgrowing plants.

gilbertharding

Idea for a cartoon: two cavemen standing near the newly completed Silbury Hill (perhaps with sign saying 'Silbury Hill' to make it clear). One is saying to the other "Bit shit, innit?" Reckon Private Eye might print that.

Pinball