Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joey Jordison RIP

Started by The Mollusk, July 27, 2021, 11:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/joey-jordison-death-slipknot-cause-age-b1891778.html

Horrible news, fucking gutted.

His playing on the self-titled proper debut Slipknot album is blistering, phenomenal, and the glue that holds all of the other chaotic elements in place. I never was a fan of their previous Mr. Bungle-aping album or any of the stuff from "Iowa" onwards but honestly for that one album alone he is noteworthy as a pivotal musician in the nu-metal breakout around the turn of the millennium.

I had no idea he'd suffered a neurological disease and lost the use of his legs some years back either. To go through that, and then to lose a band mate and then yourself die at age 46, that's fucking tragic.

Magnum Valentino

Joey was a nice lad and really took the high road after Slipknot did the dirty on him. Wee bit of an idol of mine growing up, I've a picture of me and him somewhere although both of us are behind masks and could be anyone.

Kankurette

I'm absolutely gutted. I liked Slipknot as a teen and a big part of it was Joey's drumming - he was my favourite and they were never the same after he left. I'm working right now and have banged Spit It Out on for old times' sake.

RIP.

Steven88

RIP. The most talented member of Slipknot, I remember him filling in for Lars when I saw Metallica at Download.

BeardFaceMan

Fuck, that's sad news, his drumming was immense. Didn't he write a lot of the guitar riffs for Slipknot too?

Icehaven

Old Thrashbarg

Ah shit, he was so good. And seemed to be a thoroughly decent person as well.

The Mollusk

Gonna be flooding my ears with that first Murderdolls Slipknot album on the tube this morning.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 28, 2021, 12:32:49 AM
Fuck, that's sad news, his drumming was immense. Didn't he write a lot of the guitar riffs for Slipknot too?

Yeah the majority of the first four (five, counting the one they don't count) albums were written by he and Paul Gray. His playing on Vol 3 is brilliant but his playing on their 1999 debut is SO brilliant I am incapable about being objective about it. I cannot approach that album critically, it's the first metal album that I really absorbed into my soul in that way you do when you're young and getting into something your friends don't listen to. I have tried and tried and know it too well to think about it, I just know it like a family member.

Joey Jordison is responsible for many, many hours of enjoyment for me. Not sad in the way I'd be if a colleague or friend died but this is the closest I've ever come. Shite shite shite shite.

willbo

I was randomly blasting the Iowa album 2 days ago despite not having played them for years. Then I hear this! That was heavy stuff.

AsparagusTrevor

Holy shit, this is truly terrible news. Whatever anyone thinks of Slipknot (I love them, they were a huge part in shaping my musical tastes) it can't be denied he was an amazing drummer and by all accounts a nice bloke.

RIP Joey

lankyguy95

Incredibly talented and hard-working guy. Not just someone who turned up to lay down his drum tracks. Gutted I never saw him play live.

Kankurette

I have seen Slipknot, but can't remember when. I know it was when he was in the band though.

Why did they sack him?

Magnum Valentino

I don't think his prognosis was good for recovery after he lost the use of his legs.

Then he recovered full use of his legs and they hired a new lad anyway. No one side has been totally forthcoming about it but I recall Joey waited years and years before saying anything at all.

Kankurette

Yeah, I only found out yesterday about his neurological condition. Poor fella.

thugler

Quote from: Kankurette on July 28, 2021, 09:06:04 AM
I have seen Slipknot, but can't remember when. I know it was when he was in the band though.

Why did they sack him?

Some sort of vague allusions to him being on drugs, but he claims it was all due to the condition and nothing to do with drugs.

Anyhow he was grand. I've not really listened to them for years and always found them very silly, but I remember thinking Vol. 3 was a good record and a bit of a guilty pleasure when it came out, particularly the drumming. A mate had a free ticket to see them play the astoria not long after it's release. Was a really fun show.

iamcoop

Terribly sad news.

I must have watched this 38 seconds thousands of times

https://youtu.be/z4-EAK0VEV4

I always assumed he had drug issues which is why he was sacked. I remember they released some sort of vague statement alluding to the fact that after Paul died they'd decided to "take a different path" which Joey didn't fit into.

To sit in with Metallica and completely nail their set at barely an hours notice after playing his own show with Slipknot is a phenomenal achievement.

Saw Slipknot a few times, and also was in the crowd for the infamous Metallica set of Download 2004 when Lars was Ill and Joey played on some songs. A great drummer.

As an aside, I remember something similar happened at Download for Korn when they had to have guest vocalists, a few of which got massively overawed by being on the main stage.

Kankurette

I was exercising to Slipknot earlier as a tribute. I've got a few of their songs on my gym playlist. I used to do boxercise classes where the instructor was a metalhead and IIRC Duality and Before I Forget were on his playlist.
Quote from: confettiinmyhair on July 28, 2021, 03:18:53 PM
Saw Slipknot a few times, and also was in the crowd for the infamous Metallica set of Download 2004 when Lars was Ill and Joey played on some songs. A great drummer.

As an aside, I remember something similar happened at Download for Korn when they had to have guest vocalists, a few of which got massively overawed by being on the main stage.
I was there when Korn did karaoke and it was a lot of fun. Off the top of my head they had Benji Webbe, Matt Heafy and whatsit out of Avenged Sevenfold.

Quote from: Kankurette on July 28, 2021, 03:25:30 PM
I was exercising to Slipknot earlier as a tribute. I've got a few of their songs on my gym playlist. I used to do boxercise classes where the instructor was a metalhead and IIRC Duality and Before I Forget were on his playlist.I was there when Korn did karaoke and it was a lot of fun. Off the top of my head they had Benji Webbe, Matt Heafy and whatsit out of Avenged Sevenfold.

Ah yes, it was quite a short set. Download is quite amazing as when you check the line-ups it still contains bands from the early noughties. There is something comforting about that.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Genuinely gutted. I'm similar to others in that the S/T was and still is a pivotal album in my musical genesis. Didn't care for much of the other stuff he did or much Slipknot stuff after Iowa (although last album was alright).