Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

what have you seen that isn't very good that's supposed to be good

Started by madhair60, July 28, 2021, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

not like films and that, like some sort of thing that's supposed to be amazing like a building or some sort of view and you've seen it and honestly it was ok at best.

Magnum Valentino

Fry

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That statue in Copenhagen's quite disappointing.

( not very big)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There's a boat  trip you can go on in Kampot, Cambodia which culminates in seeing a load of fireflies  flying around the trees on a small island somewhere Fucking fireflies.You look at the fucking fireflies, then the boat turns back. When I went on this trip, there were people taking photos of , and filming, the fucking fireflies. I steadfastly did neither, quite rightly so, too. How many times are you going to look back with fond memories at pictures of fucking fireflies?
Fireflies, indeed. Cuh. I'll tell you what, it's got my back up just remembering those fucking fireflies.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: madhair60 on July 28, 2021, 10:17:37 AM
not like films and that, like some sort of thing that's supposed to be amazing like a building or some sort of view and you've seen it and honestly it was ok at best.

Feels pretty harsh, but after the hype train I'm gonna say your mum mate

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 28, 2021, 10:29:18 AM
There's a boat  trip you can go on in Kampot, Cambodia which culminates in seeing a load of fireflies  flying around the trees on a small island somewhere Fucking fireflies.You look at the fucking fireflies, then the boat turns back. When I went on this trip, there were people taking photos of , and filming, the fucking fireflies. I steadfastly did neither, quite rightly so, too. How many times are you going to look back with fond memories at pictures of fucking fireflies?
Fireflies, indeed. Cuh. I'll tell you what, it's got my back up just remembering those fucking fireflies.

What were you expecting from this boat ride?

Buelligan

Lake Windemere. Would have probably liked it more if it weren't heaving with tourists and tat. Took us ages to get parked but couldn't get out of there fast enough and back into the mountains. Easily the most overhyped part of the Lake District.

Also, F1 cars on demo runs. Just a load of noise. If you see 'em in a race running flat out, fair fucks, but on those shitty demo tyres with the driver lifting and coasting? No thanks. Literally the worst thing you'll see on track all day.

JamesTC

Butchers Blind

Ham Bap

Spanish Steps in Rome. They have their own Wikipedia page. Theyve been in films, they have songs about them.

Its just a load of steps. Steps.
I have steps near my home.

Chollis

flew over the Grand Canyon when I was 11 and thought it was a bit shit, didn't look anything like the movies, just a big crack in the ground going for miles and miles. slept for most of it

reckon i'd appreciate it a lot more now tbf. probably better viewed from the ground too

EOLAN

Quote from: Dr Trouser on July 28, 2021, 10:24:46 AM
the mona lisa is shit

Yep. Actually the Louvre overall. The Orsay gallery felt far superior, maybe cos they seemed to enforce a stricter no cameras policy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteLake Windemere

Seems to be inevitably over-subscribed because it's the easiest to reach from the South and the biggest lake in a district known for lakes and close by there's a sizeable town with amenities in Bowness. You can sort of understand the logic.

It is considerably less dramatic than than most. I remember asking myself first time 'where are the hills?' but the boat ride is pleasant and Ambleside on the far end is very nice,  things get steadily more dramatic from there.

Went up around Buttermere in December, stunning and people should venture out that end more.

Jerzy Bondov

Ponte Vecchio in Florence. Fucking shite. Absolutely rammed.

SpiderChrist

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ok, some stuff then:

Lisbon Cathedral. There are some ace cathedrals. Cathedral of light in Palma? Fantastic in all conditions, the interior has an avantgarde chapel made from a man that's punched contours into drying clay. Love it. Ripon Cathedral, dazzling and in such an otherwise unremarkable market town. Lisbon cathedral? Gloomy, squat sandstone affair that somehow even from its hilltop location manages to not stand out. Not even atmospheric gloom.

Ljubljana Castle. Hodgepodge of crap that has been rendered even worse by a particularly brutal new development intended as a museum. Yes, castles evolve over time and seeing the historical layers can be elucidating. This one felt more like vandalism to the point of almost obliterating it.

Museum of Communism, Prague. Seems like 'the right thing to do' on a first visit, learn a bit about the Soviet era in Czechoslovakia, guiltily enjoy the iconography while learning about queues for food. Not worth it mate. Fusty old rooms that haven't had a penny more than necessary spent on them for decades and poorly thought out presentation that manages to somehow be quite slight and yet tedious, which given the subject matter is almost impressive. Mainly it has been outdated by so many more recent better efforts. Famously positioned next to a Mcdonalds which is at least something.

Dex Sawash

EPCOT at.Disney in Orlando[nb]except for Coca Cola had a fizzy drinks of the world thing with 100s of fountain drink dispensers where you could get all the drank you wanted[/nb]

Icehaven

As other posts have mentioned, any beauty spots or the like that are crawling with people. Those pictures that turn up every now and then of massive queues of people going up Everest or waiting for a turn to take a selfie on a particular spot put me off going anywhere even vaguely nice as I'll be contributing to the problem as well as having a shit time.

Edit: Not that I can honestly say I was planning on climbing Everest any time soon. It's too mainstream now.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2021, 11:07:27 AM
Museum of Communism, Prague. Seems like 'the right thing to do' on a first visit, learn a bit about the Soviet era in Czechoslovakia, guiltily enjoy the iconography while learning about queues for food. Not worth it mate. Fusty old rooms that haven't had a penny more than necessary spent on them for decades and poorly thought out presentation that manages to somehow be quite slight and yet tedious, which given the subject matter is almost impressive. Mainly it has been outdated by so many more recent better efforts. Famously positioned next to a Mcdonalds which is at least something.

isn't that funded by some batshit anticom American

The Crumb

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 28, 2021, 10:22:38 AM
That statue in Copenhagen's quite disappointing.( not very big)

Likewise the pissing statues in Brussels. And most other things there to be honest.

Munich's Christmas markets. Just the same 4 stalls copy and pasted for an enternity. The famous beer halls were also a massive let down.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Horrible crowding can often be negated by visiting these at certain times of day. Charles Bridge is very quiet before about 8am, Ponte Vecchio dead without a soul on it late at night. Add in off-season and these places get quieter still.

In general, historic cities get people on the same 2 or 3 squares and thoroughfares but can be almost deserted on side streets parallel where you can often still get a nice view and a refuge from crowds. If it's July in Dubrovnik or mid December in Prague yes maybe not the right time to go if you hate crowds but March for example, it really isn't too bad. If you look at a lot of Youtubers doing Dos and Don't videos this gets repeated.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 28, 2021, 10:58:53 AM

Looked at it from another bridge slightly further down the river, that was nice.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 28, 2021, 10:58:53 AM

The actual bridge isn't shite though is it? It's unique and extremely interesting (though as mentioned above, to see why that is is partly helped by looking at the exterior from elsewhere).

If the way you measure things is by how many people are on it perhaps don't visit the epicentre of a major European attraction in order to avoid disappointment (or as mentioned above, visit at times of day when there aren't people on it. I had an apartment 10 minutes walk up from there in July 2017, you could saunter down in the mornings and it was perfectly normal in terms of foot traffic)