Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:43:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what have you seen that isn't very good that's supposed to be good

Started by madhair60, July 28, 2021, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 28, 2021, 09:25:53 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm just stupid and uncool but I've never gone to a place and been sorry I went there

https://www.visitswindon.org.uk/

And before anyone says "Ooh, what about the Museum of Computing?" You'd think with Intel having a hub nearby and the impact that ones and zeroes have had on global life in the last 40+ years there'd be something more impressive than what appears to be a small local animal hospice charity shop with all the dusty jigsaws, ill-fitting blouses and Dan Brown books replaced with grotty Amigas and Spectrums.

seepage

I can see myself getting into a major row about a minute off the train.

Spoon of Ploff

thenoise

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 29, 2021, 02:34:42 PM
I can't imagine Machu Picchu being any good. Seen it on too many desktop backgrounds. And it's miles out in the middle of nowhere in Peru. Can anyone confirm it's shite? Not interested in hearing it's good.

I assume all the places I can't afford to go to, and have spent the last ten years persuading both myself and my privileged friends that I have no interest in going to, are shit. The only people who say differently are poshos and what the hell do they know? Exactly.

thenoise

Quote from: Jockice on July 28, 2021, 05:50:13 PM
Art galleries in general.

I love the atmosphere in art galleries. I love that they usually have very little art in them, are full of extremely attractive (or, at least, stylish) people.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on July 29, 2021, 02:51:31 PM

And before anyone says "Ooh, what about the Museum of Computing?" You'd think with Intel having a hub nearby and the impact that ones and zeroes have had on global life in the last 40+ years there'd be something more impressive than what appears to be a small local animal hospice charity shop with all the dusty jigsaws, ill-fitting blouses and Dan Brown books replaced with grotty Amigas and Spectrums.

That's 'cos the proper one is in Cambridge and called 'The Centre for Computing History'.

imitationleather

Quote from: willbo on July 29, 2021, 03:35:04 PM
milton keynes

No, no, no. Read the thread title.

Milton Keynes is supposed to not be good but is good.

TrenterPercenter

Giant's Causeway - just a load of stones, really
Taj Mahal - just a load of marble, really
Chicen Itza - just a load of steps, really
The Great Pyramids - just a load of 3-dimensional triangles, really
Petra - just a load of Nabatean architecture, really
Aurora Borealis - just a load of Alvfen waves striking the Earth's upper atmosphere, really
Horsehead Nebula - just a load of dust and ionised hydrogen gas localised into interstellar clouds and illuminated by the star Sigma Orionis, really

willbo

Quote from: imitationleather on July 29, 2021, 03:36:03 PM
No, no, no. Read the thread title.

Milton Keynes is supposed to not be good but is good.

are the good parts on the edge after the shopping centers?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 28, 2021, 09:25:53 PM
yeah I've seen the Mona Lisa and it's small and surrounded by a glass case which in turn is surrounded by a throng of people five humans deep, I'm still glad I saw it

I'm glad I went to the Louvre too, you should've gone down a couple of levels and seen the Code of Hammurabi and all the Egyptian/Babylonian/Mesopotamian stuff
I don't understand how people can diss the Louvre, one of the biggest and best art museums in the world. If the Mona Lisa is too small, there are the insanely massive Delacroix and Gericault and David paintings. If a room full of 6 metre high paintings doesn't impress you, well actually there are lots of other nice things.

The most touristy city I've ever been to is Liverpool.

Although perhaps the most disappointing was Berlin, most of which is terrible buildings flung up in the last 20 years. There are some nice corners, and Museum Island does what it says, but most of it is spectacularly ugly even compared to London. And they took down almost all the Wall and anything Communist and replaced it with some truly terrible tourist-trap museums. It's not terrible, but I did have very high expectations. Vienna is better.

Chicago Zoo is shit, central Manchester is shit, and so is Staten Island (I'm not sure if anyone actually says it's good, but everyone says "Oh you must get the Staten Island ferry"). The V&A in Dundee is tiny. And never trust anyone who tells you about a quaint English seaside resort you simply must visit. They're all shit.

Fambo Number Mive

I'm not sure if High Wycombe is meant to be "good", but it really is a dump isn't it? Sorry if any of you are fans of the place.

Neomod

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 29, 2021, 04:33:15 PM
"Oh you must get the Staten Island ferry"

They only say that as it's a free boat trip that goes within the vicinity of the Statue of Liberty. You basically get the next ferry back asap.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 29, 2021, 04:38:07 PM
I'm not sure if High Wycombe is meant to be "good", but it really is a dump isn't it? Sorry if any of you are fans of the place.

I like the place. There's a very good posh school for girls there.  Sally Phillips attended it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 29, 2021, 03:59:59 PM
Giant's Causeway - just a load of stones, really
Taj Mahal - just a load of marble, really
Chicen Itza - just a load of steps, really
The Great Pyramids - just a load of 3-dimensional triangles, really
Petra - just a load of Nabatean architecture, really
Aurora Borealis - just a load of Alvfen waves striking the Earth's upper atmosphere, really
Horsehead Nebula - just a load of dust and ionised hydrogen gas localised into interstellar clouds and illuminated by the star Sigma Orionis, really

Scroobius Pip considers rewrite.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on July 29, 2021, 02:51:31 PM

Went there a few years ago for a medical appointment. The art gallery was quite interesting, and the Prospect Hospice charity bookshop was worth a visit. The number of closed down shops was very bleak though, and that was pre-pandemic. No idea what it's like now.

Chedney Honks

Great Wall of China is actually rubbish, just remembered. Other than that, nothing. Earth is amazing, human creation pretty amazing.

Dex Sawash