Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:29:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what have you seen that isn't very good that's supposed to be good

Started by madhair60, July 28, 2021, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 28, 2021, 11:14:05 AM
isn't that funded by some batshit anticom American

Other than general overheads I am unsure what funding has gone in for quite a long time. Perhaps it will finally have been upgraded soon, hope so.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2021, 11:27:25 AM
The actual bridge isn't shite though is it? It's unique and extremely interesting (though as mentioned above, to see why that is is partly helped by looking at the exterior from elsewhere).
It is shite.

steve98

The Pollok On Film Exhibition, inside The Pollok Centre Community Hall, Glasgow. It's almost entirely about local girl made good Lulu. (And then later you discover she's not even from Pollok.) Avoid.

Admission: Free.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2021, 10:57:12 AM
Seems to be inevitably over-subscribed because it's the easiest to reach from the South and the biggest lake in a district known for lakes and close by there's a sizeable town with amenities in Bowness. You can sort of understand the logic.

It is considerably less dramatic than than most. I remember asking myself first time 'where are the hills?' but the boat ride is pleasant and Ambleside on the far end is very nice,  things get steadily more dramatic from there.

Went up around Buttermere in December, stunning and people should venture out that end more.

Derwent is arguably the prettiest but Buttermere is great.

Swam across Windermere it's a beast and several other of the lakes quite a few times in my younger days.

We used strap on a buoyancy aid and float down the river from Derwent to Bassenthwaite and then stomp back on the A68, couple of pints at Braithwaite.  Can't imagine being able to do that nowadays.

who cares

Tollund Man.

"Go see the Tolland Man," said the newspaper, "he's over 4,000 years old or something!" So I went and peered at him in his glass case, and he looked like not much more than a long, stringy poo. Very dark from all the tanning tannin, cruelly misshapen and disappointingly small. The accompanying blurb suggested that Tolland Man may have been pushed into the bog that preserved him simply because people didn't like him very much, possibly because of his weirdly-shaped head.

batwings

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

Fucking shite.

badaids

Quote from: batwings on July 28, 2021, 11:46:33 AM
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

Fucking shite.

I went to the Eagle Nebula. 20 space credits to get in, full of cunts from Arcturus, stank of methane. Wank.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: who cares on July 28, 2021, 11:45:18 AM
Tollund Man.

"Go see the Tolland Man," said the newspaper, "he's over 4,000 years old or something!" So I went and peered at him in his glass case, and he looked like not much more than a long, stringy poo. Very dark from all the tanning tannin, cruelly misshapen and disappointingly small. The accompanying blurb suggested that Tolland Man may have been pushed into the bog that preserved him simply because people didn't like him very much, possibly because of his weirdly-shaped head.

Erm I'm not sure what kind of bowl movements you have but if the Tolland Man is approximating your long excretions I think a trip to the doctor might be in order.

Also bit Legend Gary this "he weren't even a big fucker Daz! even you coulda battered im I reckon, probably a gay as well.  Dis is wots wrong wit this country he ain't "the Man" of Tolland he ain't NOFFIN!"

Quote from: EOLAN on July 28, 2021, 10:56:20 AM
Yep. Actually the Louvre overall. The Orsay gallery felt far superior, maybe cos they seemed to enforce a stricter no cameras policy.

Saw the Mona Lisa a couple of years ago (wouldn't have bothered myself but young Rector wanted to and it seemed harsh not to allow since we were actually walking right past the room).  The strange thing is that you queue up for quite a while, and then you see people get to the front and all they do is take a photo of it.  They wait ages to get close to a cultural icon (whatever your opinions on its merit, it's definitely one of those) and instead of looking at it, get their own extremely poor quality reproduction.  Or of course a selfie with themselves in front of the Mona Lisa because otherwise, nobody would believe you really saw it would they?

The musee d'Orsay is brilliant and the coffee was great, too.  I get my priorities right.....

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 28, 2021, 11:57:44 AM
Erm I'm not sure what kind of bowl movements you have but if the Tolland Man is approximating your long excretions I think a trip to the doctor might be in order.

Also bit Legend Gary this "he weren't even a big fucker Daz! even you coulda battered im I reckon, probably a gay as well.  Dis is wots wrong wit this country he ain't "the Man" of Tolland he ain't NOFFIN!"

Ages ago there was a fad, don't know if there still is, of people doing big colon cleanses then holding up the weird stuff that came out.  And there is a certain resemblance

pigamus

Quote from: Fry on July 28, 2021, 10:21:02 AM
A nice big pair of tits

Tits are like superheroes nowadays - massively overexposed, it's a shame

who cares

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 28, 2021, 11:57:44 AM

That looks nothing like what I saw, and is indeed rather impressive.

What the hell did I look at?!

Edit- I'd like to distance myself from the homophobia you've dug out from somewhere. There's none of it in my post.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: who cares on July 28, 2021, 12:09:26 PM
That looks nothing like what I saw, and is indeed rather impressive.

What the hell did I look at?!

Do you think you might have been tricked into viewing someones mucoid plaque?

who cares

Fuck knows. But it wasn't wearing a hat, I know that much.

Icehaven

I'm not sure how 'good' it's considered to be but the inside of Castle Howard was very disappointing considering it was supposed to be Brideshead. I mean I knew the interiors weren't used in the series but I'd have thought they were still worth a visit, but when I went (probably about 10 years ago) half of it was being refurbished so a lot of the rooms were covered and had scaffolding etc. Even the areas that were supposedly complete were a bit crap, shop dummies wearing 1920s clothes etc. Might be better now though.

The outside is still Brideshead though of course, and the fountain was still there. The summer house where Charles and Sebastian got pissed looked beautiful but you couldn't go in it, and you could only see the mausoleum from a distance. I'd have just wandered about outside for a bit and taken a few pics if I'd known the inside was so underwhelming.

JaDanketies

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 28, 2021, 10:20:28 AM
Paris

Agreed. Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Élysées. The Catacombs and the Moulin Rouge were the best bits, and even the Catacombs weren't as good as I expected. The city doesn't look any nicer than your average European city tbh.

What's better than expected is the Hay-on-Wye book festival, specifically the HowTheLightGetsIn weekend.

Gurke and Hare

Another Mona Lisa vote here. It sounds like Ironic Reviewism, but it's just so tiny and unimpressive. How did it even get it's reputation?

Quote from: The Crumb on July 28, 2021, 11:19:05 AM
Likewise the pissing statues in Brussels. And most other things there to be honest.

The Grand Place is fucking magnificent, to be fair.

The Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. Not actually bad, but there's just no need to go there if you've been to the British Museum.

The city of Montreal.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 28, 2021, 12:31:46 PM
Agreed. Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Élysées. The Catacombs and the Moulin Rouge were the best bits, and even the Catacombs weren't as good as I expected. The city doesn't look any nicer than your average European city tbh.

There is a thing called Paris Syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

in which people typically from Japan who have idealised ideas of the what they city is like have dissociative experiences on getting there and seeing it for what it is.

I do however think suggesting Paris doesn't look nicer than your average European city is a bit much; it one of the biggest cities in Europe so it's going to have its fair share of grime and can't be compared to some niche little city in Croatia that has a population of of 200k that looks all quaint.  It is still a very impressive city.

idunnosomename

Paris is a filthy horrible shithole. Thanks to Haussman it all looks the same: shit. Corb had the right idea

the science eel

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 28, 2021, 11:07:27 AM

Cathedral of light in Palma? Fantastic in all conditions, the interior has an avantgarde chapel made from a man that's punched contours into drying clay. Love it.

Parma all-round is a wonderful city, almost the equal of Bologna in my book, and much less visited. I always feel very happy walking around there, the Piazza Garibaldi and the street just off it that springs to life at night, and the Piazza della Pace. Lots of good eating too.

QuoteMuseum of Communism, Prague. Seems like 'the right thing to do' on a first visit, learn a bit about the Soviet era in Czechoslovakia, guiltily enjoy the iconography while learning about queues for food. Not worth it mate. Fusty old rooms that haven't had a penny more than necessary spent on them for decades and poorly thought out presentation that manages to somehow be quite slight and yet tedious, which given the subject matter is almost impressive. Mainly it has been outdated by so many more recent better efforts. Famously positioned next to a Mcdonalds which is at least something.

It's owned by a local businessman who also owns an Irish bar or two. It's just a half-arsed collection of artifacts, he doesn't give a fuck about curating the stuff. It's been the same for nearly 20 years, too, like you say.

Shaky

Sydney Opera House is extremely underwhelming. The 80's made it look massive.

Neomod

The Crumb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 28, 2021, 01:14:01 PM
There is a thing called Paris Syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

in which people typically from Japan who have idealised ideas of the what they city is like have dissociative experiences on getting there and seeing it for what it is.

As a European visting Japan I had very much the opposite experience and was overcome with surpise and delight from the first time I went into a corner shop there.

touchingcloth

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments were basically absolutely fine, like tears in rain. Three out of five.

Wet Blanket

Paris is a beautiful city with a great vibe if you sack off the famous bits, which are absolutely rammed with every type of scam artist ever featured in the grifter's handbook. 

JaDanketies

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 28, 2021, 01:14:01 PM
I do however think suggesting Paris doesn't look nicer than your average European city is a bit much

Well what city are you even going to actually visit? I might not know what Aberdeen looks like, but everywhere that you'd actually visit is just as nice as Paris, if not nicer. Prague, Amsterdam and Edinburgh (and tiny Split in Croatia, and Riga in Latvia) come to mind as being more pleasant. I'd even say Liverpool and Manchester have potentially as many nice buildings and streets; Manchester's really let down by the litter and homelessness. Even Berlin is about as good-looking as Paris.

Can't think of many places that I've visited that look the equivalent to or worse than Paris. Maybe Brussels, but I only spent a day there. London is perhaps worse.

Maybe we didn't go to the right places in Paris. But The Seine? Give me The Irwell any day.

Johnny Yesno