Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Farewell Sky One

Started by steveh, July 28, 2021, 11:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: steveh on August 10, 2021, 08:11:33 AM
Secondary channels are largely added or removed according to how much ad inventory there is available. There's still a lot of people stuck in the linear TV habit even if we're past the peak in channel numbers and Sky are probably also counting on a post-pandemic boom.
Yeah, they recently added Sky Comedy (at least on Virgin) which seems to run through entire series of 30 Rock or Will and Grace one episode after another. I assume they expect most people to stream these things, but it's a good way of promoting what's on offer, as well as something to put on while doing the hoovering.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 09, 2021, 05:40:38 PM
It's interesting whether this is a prelude to them losing the Simpsons, as there's been little mention of where it will sit long term, and it was announced that Channel 4 have retained rights, but nothing about Sky. It's almost like if Sky One can't show the Simpsons, it ceases to exist.

Sky have said that The Simpsons will be shown on Sky Showcase instead - I think I've also read that it will be on Sky Comedy as well, but wouldn't swear to it.

When Disney and Sky announced the deal to integrate Disney+ into the latter last year, they also said that The Simpsons will continue to be show The Simpsons. There was no mention of how long that will continue, but it was pointed out that Sky has an established history of working with Disney and, before the buyout, Fox - so there are very likely strategic implications. When Disney+ started, some people assumed that Disney would automatically pull content from Sky - but that's been done very selectively, unlike Netflix, which is obviously a much more obvious competitor for Disney_.

The thing is with Sky One, all of its shows could be easily shown on another Sky channel and would be a natural fit with the other programming there.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 09, 2021, 10:36:27 PM
They're trying and mostly failing to make an additional best-of channel sound interesting. It's only 'linear-only' because all the content is sourced from other Sky channels that presumably have their content on vod anyway.

I thought the days of this sort of thing (and numerous +1 channels) had peaked with vod, although I suppose given sky's position running an automated channel with stuff that's already in playout won't cost them much if there's spare capacity on the satellite.

Sure - my comment was more about having difficulty to communicate the strategy in a concise way that people can easily understand. To be fair, the quote's context isn't clear and we don't know what was stripped away.

GoblinAhFuckScary

one of their logos had a horrendous circular font which made the title appear as 'Sky Onc'

graphic design is my passion

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: steveh on August 10, 2021, 08:11:33 AM
Secondary channels are largely added or removed according to how much ad inventory there is available. There's still a lot of people stuck in the linear TV habit even if we're past the peak in channel numbers and Sky are probably also counting on a post-pandemic boom.

Fair enough.

I don't know much about the linear side but was involved with a broadcaster getting onto the sky vod system. Which uses comcast-owned cablelabs system and is a complete ballache.

They also have the dynamic ad-insertion market sewn-up, at the time we did it, everyone but Channel4 used Sky as the broker as they didn't want to set up their own Freewheel integration, apparently it took Ch4 years to get that working. I think the company I was with set up their own ad delivery in the end too but I didn't really get involved with that.

Chriddof

Quote from: Malcy on July 28, 2021, 06:08:30 PM
I can still remember that little ident they used to have. Little tune followed by a really serious "This is SKY ONE".

Here it is on Youtube. That version of it came after they swallowed up BSB in late 1990.

Before 1990, it was known as Sky Channel, which was pan-European (as someone else already mentioned), and had actually been broadcasting under that name since around 1984, when Murdoch first bought it. This video has one of their their start-up sequences from the 1980s, which feels like a weird jumble of random stuff - the Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen, a couple snogging, The Eiffel Tower, VT operators grinning away, and a weirdly disturbing moment where a black woman on scratchy 16mm film freaks out at spotting a camera's on her. Feels dubious in a manner that gammons would spend hours defending. Oh, and Pat Sharp turns up. (Skip the first 30 seconds to avoid the bloke going on how bloody great his childhood was.)

Brundle-Fly

Made Hollyoaks seem like The West Wing.