Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:31:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

4k Streaming Stick Suggestions?

Started by Malcy, July 28, 2021, 03:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

My Dad is after one of these and it's his birthday next week so planning on getting one. I don't know where to start.

Preferably it would be one that is easy to load non-store apps to watch films, tv shows etc in 4k if available. My only experience with these things is my FireStick which I've barely used in ages as it is just so incredibly slow and most of the time has a really shit internet speed.

Any suggestions welcome, cheers.

canadagoose

How about "Chromecast with Google TV", the 4K-compatible version of the Chromecast? You cast things from your phone or tablet rather than through a menu system, but it works.

https://store.google.com/gb/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-GB

olliebean

Google TV has a menu system, doesn't it?

canadagoose

Noodle Lizard

Roku is my favourite. It seems to be the most neutral in terms of what you can load on there (with Apple TV being the most restrictive) and is consistently speedy and straightforward.

Malcy

Thanks for the replies.

Turns out he want's one of these IPTV subscription things that do all the live tv/films etc. Friends of his have them and pay £60 a year for some service. I can't see the point in that myself. If I want to watch something I just download it.

Sebastian Cobb

Firesticks via Kodi are the usual way to do that I think.

You mentioned slowdowns on your Fire Stick, have you tried a factory reset? Mine was running like complete shit and I reset it and it was miles better.

I had sideloaded apps and apparently if you leave sideload/debug open there are mining worms that can hog resources. It could just have been some other shit running in the background as well though.

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 30, 2021, 04:35:28 PM

You mentioned slowdowns on your Fire Stick, have you tried a factory reset? Mine was running like complete shit and I reset it and it was miles better.

I had sideloaded apps and apparently if you leave sideload/debug open there are mining worms that can hog resources. It could just have been some other shit running in the background as well though.

I'm trying to read up on it etc but my brain has just been too fried recently.

Yeah full reset is my next job. I only use it in the bedroom and my tv is on it's way out so not used it much. My sideload would probably still be open too. I'll make sure to keep it off cheers for that.

I found the apps that his friends are using and it's $20 rather than £60 but didn't quite understand any of it.

QuoteUse, by you or one client, in a single end product which end users are not charged for. The total price includes the item price and a buyer fee.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 30, 2021, 04:35:28 PM

I'd second Sebastian Cobb's suggestion. I have no idea about those weird subscription things, I presume someone installs Kodi onto a firestick plus the add-ons that get all the content (I've seen them before, but not used them in yonks). Do you know a local... um... bloke who can do it? That's how my Dad got it.

seepage

Firestick + Kodi + USB adaptor with power and USB On The Go to attach a USB stick for more storage, or a file manager app to replace files on the stick with files from a PC over Wi-Fi