Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:44:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Skull - New Predator Film

Started by Malcy, July 28, 2021, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 28, 2021, 07:49:47 PM
We've already had Predators teaming up with humans in AVP.

Which made me think earlier. If counting the AVP's is this Predator 7? Next one will be Predator Vs Rocky at this stage.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Malcy on July 28, 2021, 08:01:23 PM
Which made me think earlier. If counting the AVP's is this Predator 7? Next one will be Predator Vs Rocky at this stage.

I don't think anyone really counts the AVP films.  They just happen to exist.  Like The Predator now does. 

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 28, 2021, 08:04:25 PM
I don't think anyone really counts the AVP films.  They just happen to exist.

Sadly, this is true.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think anyone really counts the AVP films.  They just happen to exist.  Like The Predator now does.

Literally just the 'melting pot brent hands' of two bits of IP which have been squeezed to the point of being creatively bankrupt.

mothman

Yes, hence why a good team-up is yet to happen. It's a cliche I admit but an infant Predator - capable, but inexperienced, impatient, incautious - could work.

So far the films - the good ones anyway - have had some sort of hook, some USP, that defines them. The original established the premise - alien hunts soldiers (in a jungle, though I'm not proposing it repeat the formula in other environments). P2 has an alien hunting gangs in an urban environment (but mixed things up by having soldiers hunting HIM). Predators has several hunting assorted humans - but this time they've been taken to an alien world.

Did The P have any definable hook or USP? I'm not sure. AVP's hook was right there in the title. And I've never seen AVP2 so don't know about that.

So this new film could offer such a hook or USP - a prequel, featuring a Predator meeting its match in someone who uses bushcraft and suchlike to combat it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on July 28, 2021, 08:26:45 PM
So this new film could offer such a hook or USP - a prequel, featuring a Predator meeting its match in someone who uses bushcraft and suchlike to combat it.

This is why I think there's an outlier chance that the new movie could work.  A Predator movie about a Native American teenage girl using her brains to outsmart an alien hunter has potential.  I just don't really trust modern Hollywood, much less Disney, to execute that concept with so much as an ounce of subtlety or nuance.  I'm expecting a sledge hammer of condescending gender politics to the head, but I live in hope.

badaids

Quote from: Malcy on July 28, 2021, 07:56:46 PM
Nah it's a big fuck off Terminator skull like the last boss in Robocop Vs Terminator. The cliff-hanger of the film is Robocop turning up at the end along with Ripley to help tackle whatever threat left dangling by the film for an inevitable sequel thus merging the 4 franchises for some new big universe thing that the studios are so fond of these days.

This sounds like totally rad. I hope there's a bit where a Robocop shoots an Agent Smith in the mouth and says 'Eat this, creep!'.

Shit Good Nose

Did The P have any definable hook or USP? I'm not sure.

In no way am I defending it here (and, actually, I think both are to the film's detriment) but - cute kid and Marvel style/Shane Black sassy humour.  Yes, 2 had some out and out humour and a lot of satire, but it never invaded the main meat or nastiness of the film at large.  In The Predator it completely ruins it even further from the already ropey starting point.

AVP2 had the A-V hybrid, and also a notorious scene which most people agree put a nail in the franchise (I actually think it's a perfectly logical conclusion to the body horror nightmare established right back in Alien.   AVP2 is still a terrible film though, and you can barely work out what's going on because it's so fucking dark.  Literally.)

Malcy

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 28, 2021, 08:39:05 PM
In no way am I defending it here (and, actually, I think both are to the film's detriment) but - cute kid and Marvel style/Shane Black sassy humour.  Yes, 2 had some out and out humour and a lot of satire, but it never invaded the main meat or nastiness of the film at large.  In The Predator it completely ruins it even further from the already ropey starting point.

AVP2 had the A-V hybrid, and also a notorious scene which most people agree put a nail in the franchise (I actually think it's a perfectly logical conclusion to the body horror nightmare established right back in Alien.   AVP2 is still a terrible film though, and you can barely work out what's going on because it's so fucking dark.  Literally.)

Been ages since I've seen it. What scene?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Malcy on July 28, 2021, 09:18:33 PM
Been ages since I've seen it. What scene?

I'll just say maternity ward.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

So this new film could offer such a hook or USP ... a Predator meeting its match in someone who uses bushcraft and suchlike to combat it.
Isn't that basically the ending of the first one?

badaids

Hopefully this will be the film where they set out the lore for predators anuses once and for all.  I've got twenty quid that their anuses are like their mouths will all flaps and that but not with teeth. Oh yeah and they haven't got two of them like some of you dog pizzles think.

mothman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 28, 2021, 09:40:23 PM
Isn't that basically the ending of the first one?

Yes and no? As I say the film's hook is alien hunting special forces. And yes Annie does ultimately gain a chance of winning by using bushcraft. But it's in quite a basic way - builds a couple of traps, makes a bow & arrow. It's Bear Grylls vs Predator. This new film, it'd be more of that, but more authentic. Ray Mears vs Predator.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on July 28, 2021, 11:08:56 PM
Yes and no? As I say the film's hook is alien hunting special forces. And yes Annie does ultimately gain a chance of winning by using bushcraft. But it's in quite a basic way - builds a couple of traps, makes a bow & arrow. It's Bear Grylls vs Predator. This new film, it'd be more of that, but more authentic. Ray Mears vs Predator.

Surely if it's going to be authentic it'll be Bruce Parry vs Predator.

PlanktonSideburns

Bruce would just sweet talk him into hanging out

Love that man

bgmnts

MacGyver vs Predator.
Bear Grylls vs Predator.
Inspector Gadget vs Predator.

Sebastian Cobb

I guess we've missed our chance for Columbo vs Predator, more's the pity.

Goldentony

a scene in which predator goes the shop?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Goldentony on July 29, 2021, 01:29:31 AM
a scene in which predator goes the shop?

and has to go back because he left his wallet and queue up to reclaim it from customer services.

Goldentony

when he goes to the milk he thinks nobody hiding in here hey just milk

Dex Sawash

dissolute ocelot

There's been a billion films about people fighting alien invaders in different times and places from Cowboys & Aliens to The Thing from Another World to The Faculty. So why not set one 10 years before Cowboys & Aliens?

Maybe the problem with the Predator franchise is that it's less interesting having an alien hunting people for sport than other scenarios: colonialism, homelessness, revenge, misunderstanding, intergalactic war, to stop humans being evil, or just a strange, implacable, motiveless killing force. And Predators (which isn't on Earth) was just shit Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle.

Brundle-Fly

Abbott & Costello Meet The Predator.

Spiteface

Shit Good Nose

Kramer vs Kramer vs Godzilla vs Kong vs Alien vs Predator

"Whoever wins...there will be a lot of appeals and structural collateral damage"

Brundle-Fly

All The Predator's Men.
Political biographical drama film about the 1987 Dutchgate scandal which brought down the Grand Yautja.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2021, 06:17:16 PM
All The Predator's Men.
Political biographical drama film about the 1987 Dutchgate scandal which brought down the Grand Yautja.

Featuring deep background informant Big Mandibles.

mothman

Steve Backshall The Predator's Men.

Replies From View

How about a Predator film where bits of his armour keep accidentally triggering contact payment devices, and these subtract from his resources.  There could be a scene halfway down a high street where he can't breathe anymore because he's used up half of his oxygen tank accidentally paying for the meals of people sitting outside.

PlanktonSideburns