Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Skull - New Predator Film

Started by Malcy, July 28, 2021, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Replies From View

Surely setting this on Skull Island means a 'Predator vs Kong' offshoot is inevitable?  Looking forward to it!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on August 02, 2021, 02:27:11 PM
Surely setting this on Skull Island means a 'Predator vs Kong' offshoot is inevitable?  Looking forward to it!

COUGH

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 29, 2021, 01:08:30 PM
Kramer vs Kramer vs Godzilla vs Kong vs Alien vs Predator

"Whoever wins...there will be a lot of appeals and structural collateral damage"

idunnosomename

Michael Ball and Alfie Boe versus the Predator

dissolute ocelot

Alien vs Predator inside Godzilla when he eats them.

Inside a Space Whale inside a really big turkey.

Blumf

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 02, 2021, 02:43:33 PM
COUGH

ah but your post didn't cleverly establish a connection with Skull Island so it wasn't as good.  it needed a sprinkling of the old 'replies from view' magic!!

mothman

Bumping this, because I went looking for the The Predator thread after finally watching the whole of that film tonight.

I mention that because, first off, @Blumf should probably be looking to sue somebody:

Quote from: Blumf on September 01, 2018, 12:58:53 AMIf Hollywood loves prequels so much, then do Predator * Apocalypto:- A Mayan (or Aztec, whatever!) tribe get hunted. Old vagina face leaves his projectile weapons behind, not sporting. Lots of running, stabbing, and punching.

As for Skulls... it's now called Prey - to tie it into the franchise, something which they seem to have been trying to obfuscate. And in a ringing vote of confidence it's being released in the summer - on Hulu. Probably Disney+/Star here. I'm sure that's totally to do with COVID and nothing at all about how surely nobody could ever want to go see a film starring a GIRL who's not even white... 🙄

And it may get even worse:

QuoteDespite being conceived as having an R-rating... the film could potentially be cut to pass for a PG-13 rating.

Catalogue Trousers

Sounds complete thrillsville and not at all a let-down

bgmnts

Alien vs Predator was PG-13 so that is the standard here. If it falls below even that piece of dull shit, there is no hope left for cinema.

Mister Six

Predator is one of those franchises like Ghostbusters, The Matrix or RoboCop that only ever had one great film that everyone keeps trying (and failing) to recapture the magic of when they should just leave it alone.

Except this one didn't even have one great film.

evilcommiedictator

AvP and AvP2 on PC are great fun too

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on February 13, 2022, 09:02:21 AMYes it did, Predator 2

I was going to say that, but I only have hazy memories of seeing it on ITV or something as a teenager, so I didn't want to commit to saying that it was great.

Crenners

Predator is a very entertaining, bombastic, iconic, stupid film.

I would take 1000 the original Predator over the last 1000 MCU films under any circumstances because I'm not a cunt (in that specific respect).

beanheadmcginty

I'd happily watch a prequel that was just Jesse Ventura and Bill Duke's characters on a mission, minigunnning the fuck out of everything, dry shaving and spitting tobacco all over the place.

13 schoolyards

The first Predator film works because it starts off as a solid but average action movie then just when you're thinking "yeah, not sure I need to bother with the rest of this" it turns into a solid but average stalk-n-slash film with Arnold going nuts in the final ten minutes.

It's bizarre that nobody ever picked up that what (should) make the Predator movies work is just mashing up genres. Predator 2 came the closest (which is why it's also great) with the "it's an urban gang war movie oh crap a Predator" approach, but everything since then has just treated the Predators as monsters we give a shit about rather than just something that should turn up halfway through a Jane Austin adaptation or the next Ant-Man movie or whatever.

Obviously the best Predator sequel is Takashi Miike's Audition

Mister Six

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on February 14, 2022, 06:04:30 AMjust something that should turn up halfway through a Jane Austin adaptation

Okay, you've sold me on Pride & Predators.

bgmnts

The lack of respect for Predator and Predator makes me genuinely upset.

Mister Six

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a Predator in possession of an arsenal, must be in want of a pile of skulls."

Mister Six

The Predators come to Earth to hunt, right? I reckon they should do a sequel where the heroes go to the Predator planet and it's just full of Predators rolling their eyes at a small number of gun-toting, insecure prick Predators who pay money to fly out to hunt squishy little humans then put the photos up on Predator Facebook.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Mister Six on February 14, 2022, 05:03:27 PMThe Predators come to Earth to hunt, right? I reckon they should do a sequel where the heroes go to the Predator planet and it's just full of Predators rolling their eyes at a small number of gun-toting, insecure prick Predators who pay money to fly out to hunt squishy little humans then put the photos up on Predator Facebook.

This is kinda sorta part of the premise of the last Predator movie - there's a bunch of subplot crap about rival factions and an anti-hunting group of Predators and honestly it did not make the film better

greenman

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on February 14, 2022, 06:04:30 AMThe first Predator film works because it starts off as a solid but average action movie then just when you're thinking "yeah, not sure I need to bother with the rest of this" it turns into a solid but average stalk-n-slash film with Arnold going nuts in the final ten minutes.

It's bizarre that nobody ever picked up that what (should) make the Predator movies work is just mashing up genres. Predator 2 came the closest (which is why it's also great) with the "it's an urban gang war movie oh crap a Predator" approach, but everything since then has just treated the Predators as monsters we give a shit about rather than just something that should turn up halfway through a Jane Austin adaptation or the next Ant-Man movie or whatever.

Obviously the best Predator sequel is Takashi Miike's Audition

Mr Bingly being decapitated by the razor frisby would be must watch cinema.

Really though its the same problem you have with most of the franchises from that era that have carried on, they've all become obcessed with the lore of their concept rather than the formulas that made the original films sucessful. I spose because they realise that appeal to nerdy interest of that lore is very low hanging fruit.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: greenman on February 15, 2022, 05:47:09 AMReally though its the same problem you have with most of the franchises from that era that have carried on, they've all become obcessed with the lore of their concept rather than the formulas that made the original films sucessful. I spose because they realise that appeal to nerdy interest of that lore is very low hanging fruit.
Yes! There are so many examples of this.

phantom_power

Yeah that was a good point made by Red Letter Media in their Ghostbusters review, that the films that follow fetishize the gadgets and things far more than the original films did. They were borne out of the situation rather than created specifically to be "cool".

greenman

Theres arguably even less of an excuse for it with the Predator films though, you could use the concept of the original as much as you wanted to really just shifting the setting as happened in the second film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Trailer:

Looks alright to me. The characters seem like a nice change from wisecracking tough guys. It's a bit distracting that they're all speaking modern English, but I guess something like this wasn't going to be made with all the dialogue subtitled.