Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Incessant hypochondria

Started by kalowski, July 28, 2021, 09:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Cheers for all the PMs. I'll be absolutely fine but thanks.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 29, 2021, 11:30:39 AM
On the flipside, not a joke but I put off going to the doctor about 'a new freckle' for about a year and after an 18 month further delay due to Covid, I finally had skin cancer removed a couple of weeks ago. It nearly left me blind in one eye. 😂😂😂

I told you not to use all that knock-off Chinese UV lighting in your gaming pub!

Chedney Honks

Worth it. They saved the eye 😂😂😂

chveik

Chedney Honks

Cheers mate, it's put a lot in perspective. Totally changed my outlook on life.

Cloud

Sounds a bad one if it nearly took the eye out!  Glad to hear it's saved. Thought of losing sight is terrifying.
If it was melanoma even though it's the worst type it's meant to have a very good survival rate these days compared to what's generally documented, even if it's one of the higher stages.  Boss had it and from what I overheard, was told he was terminal, but is clear now.  Hope it's either gone, or gone soon x

Chedney Honks

Thanks for that. It's non-melanoma but been shitting myself for about two years. The position was the worry in the end. Now it's done, I just feel relieved I'm not cyclops.

C_Larence

I'm a massive hypochondriac so recently, after coming into some money, I fulfilled a lifelong ambition and paid for a private full body MOT. It started off with a hearing test, which I passed with flying colours. I then proceeded to do badly on all the more important tests that followed, such as blood pressure and ECG (which the nurse printed three sheets of because she thought the first two must have been errors). She didn't laugh when I said "At least my hearing's ok" after she told me I had calcium in my urine. Anyway, after all these tests I was sent upstairs to meet a doctor who took one look at the results and ordered me to get a chest x ray and abdominal ultrasound, although not before he had a feel of my balls the dirty bugger.

This is a direct quote from the ultrasound technician after he'd finished scanning my insides:

QuoteYou are amazing! You are the healthiest person I have ever seen. You have zero fat

My chest x ray also came back totally normal. In the end the only thing they could find substantially wrong with me was high blood pressure, a lack of vitamin D and high cholesterol (which the doctor called "paradoxical" because i'm underweight). Since then I've bought a blood pressure monitor and whenever I've tested it it's been completely normal, and I've started taking vitamin D supplements. Never found out why my ECG was so abnormal, I keep forgetting to call the clinic and ask.

buttgammon

Best wishes, Chedney. I don't want to pry but is it actually in the eye? My sister-in-law had ocular melanoma a few years ago. Thankfully, it got caught quickly during an eye test and they managed to save her eye.

Chedney Honks

It wasn't, thank fuck, but glad to hear your sister-in-law got it sorted early enough, as well. And cheers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: C_Larence on July 30, 2021, 06:07:29 AM
I'm a massive hypochondriac so recently, after coming into some money, I fulfilled a lifelong ambition and paid for a private full body MOT. It started off with a hearing test, which I passed with flying colours. I then proceeded to do badly on all the more important tests that followed, such as blood pressure and ECG (which the nurse printed three sheets of because she thought the first two must have been errors). She didn't laugh when I said "At least my hearing's ok" after she told me I had calcium in my urine. Anyway, after all these tests I was sent upstairs to meet a doctor who took one look at the results and ordered me to get a chest x ray and abdominal ultrasound, although not before he had a feel of my balls the dirty bugger.

This is a direct quote from the ultrasound technician after he'd finished scanning my insides:

My chest x ray also came back totally normal. In the end the only thing they could find substantially wrong with me was high blood pressure, a lack of vitamin D and high cholesterol (which the doctor called "paradoxical" because i'm underweight). Since then I've bought a blood pressure monitor and whenever I've tested it it's been completely normal, and I've started taking vitamin D supplements. Never found out why my ECG was so abnormal, I keep forgetting to call the clinic and ask.

QuoteWhite coat hypertension (WHT), more commonly known as white coat syndrome, is a form of labile hypertension[1] in which people exhibit a blood pressure level above the normal range, in a clinical setting, although they do not exhibit it in other settings.[2] It is believed that the phenomenon is due to anxiety experienced during a clinic visit.[3]

Probably that, given the circumstances.

Hat FM

Quote from: C_Larence on July 30, 2021, 06:07:29 AM

how much did this cost? sounds like a fun day out.

Cloud

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 30, 2021, 05:15:20 AM
Thanks for that. It's non-melanoma but been shitting myself for about two years. The position was the worry in the end. Now it's done, I just feel relieved I'm not cyclops.

Ah right, yeah from my understanding the other types rarely kill but can easily disfigure or cause problems like that so it'd still be a terrifying experience.  Sounds like your dreams of being a pirate are over :)

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 30, 2021, 05:15:20 AM

An eye patch would be strong look in an apocalyptic water world though.

Chedney Honks

Firing my cannons at little French dinghies. I'd really like that. Sipping on an NFTB. Heaven.

C_Larence

Quote from: Hat FM on July 30, 2021, 01:11:52 PM
how much did this cost? sounds like a fun day out.

With the ultrasound added on it came to around £1200, without it would have been just under £900. There were tiers though, the cheapest one was £595 and the most expensive was £2300 if one opted for a full body MRI.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 30, 2021, 10:37:29 AM
Probably that, given the circumstances.

Highly likely. I also hadn't slept or eaten since the day before.

petercussing

Oh blimey, glad you and your peeper are okay Chedney Crabs, that sounds hella shitbags, though if you'd have been cyclops then, as previously pointed out, i am ususally great friends with monsters, we just hit it off, so there wouldn't have been a huge change. This is reassuring to you.

I done a whoops by ignore crushing guts pain on and off for about three months not realising i had an appendicitis which kept closing back up with cysty things. Finally went to the docs and they couldn't work out what it was cos it had swelled right up and was taking up a large portion of my lower guts and was pushing on my bladder trying to attach itself to it and plus kept making all my guts sick so the symptoms were all fucky. Anyway i was lucky to not die and it was all shredded to pieces when they finally took it out and i got lots of the morphine. I was most perturbed by being whelled in to the op room and the docs who were operating on me seemed about 12 and that they shaved my pubes into what was kind of like a hitler 'tache.

Cloud

Just got the results for my skin mole biopsy finally (almost 10 weeks later).  Not dead soon (unless something else comes up). Benign compound mole with no sign of worrisome change.  Glad that one is behind me!

kalowski

Last year I was diagnosed with a seborrheic keratosis, which I was worrier was cancer. My doctor was very good at allaying my fears
Of course, I ended up reading this
QuoteThey also confirmed that seborrheic keratosis is one of the lesions for which melanoma is commonly misdiagnosed. This error occurred in 7.7% to 31.0% of cases, depending on the study
and have spent a year assuming he's wrong and I'm definitely dying.

kalowski

This week I've diagnosed myself with
Testicular cancer
Lung cancer
Heart attack (this is still ongoing)
Pancreatitis

If I suddenly stop posting you'll know what's happened.

jobotic

Pfft. I've been having a heart attack, prostate cancer AND covid this week.

A heady brew.

canadagoose

I think I'm a bit like this, but sometimes I'm right. I had to go to out-of-hours once with severe abdominal pain and the nurse just seemed to huff and puff and thought I was wasting time. I actually had appendicitis and my appendix ended up bursting. That was fun.

I'm not sure if I'm being too much of one lately. I was on the phone to the doctor for something related to my constant nausea and frequent vomiting (which has calmed down today), and although that was sorted out (I think), I mentioned that I thought I might have a hypermobility condition as well as fibromyalgia, because the symptoms seem to match up - but he almost seemed offended that I'd asked, and that it wouldn't make any difference. God only knows - my brain works in funny ways a lot of the time.

canadagoose

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 29, 2021, 06:37:36 PM
Cheers for all the PMs. I'll be absolutely fine but thanks.
How the hell did I miss your story? Sorry to hear about your cancer ordeal, sounds scary. I'm glad you're OK now though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuotePancreatitis

Look, just put him on ignore

robhug

a top tip if you discover any sort of minor ailment is to google the fuck out of it and take as read the worst thing you find

Quote from: canadagoose on August 19, 2021, 11:46:08 AM
I think I'm a bit like this, but sometimes I'm right. I had to go to out-of-hours once with severe abdominal pain and the nurse just seemed to huff and puff and thought I was wasting time. I actually had appendicitis and my appendix ended up bursting. That was fun.

Love a dismissive triage nurse. Went to the eye hospital a little while ago after waking up with pain in my eye and the triage nurse was convinced I'd gotten something in it, in spite of me telling her constantly that I hadn't. She was all smug about it too. Kept trying to ask trick questions to get me to admit I'd had something in it.

Got seen by the nurses and consultant and it turns out that I get abnormally dry eyes and that the pain was caused by my eyelids scraping on the eyeball when I wake up, causing a bit of corneal erosion in the process. Prescribed me some ointment and drops. Felt like going back in the triage room and going "look at this, you dismissive bastard" but I didn't want to end up on an NHS poster.