Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what have you seen that surpassed your expectations

Started by pancreas, July 29, 2021, 03:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I usually have a better time and have more expectations surpassed at smaller art galleries. A David Bomberg exhibition at Pallant House in Chichester; Italian New Objectivity at the Estorick in London; Christchurch Picture Gallery in Oxford in general. I was disappointed by the German Expressionism collection in Leicester New Walk because the lighting made it difficult to see some of the pictures well.

Had my expectations surpassed at the Dublin Botanical Gardens because a) I was expecting to have to pay b) I wasn't expecting to find a place dedicated to where Wittgenstein used to sit c) the gardens were bigger than I thought they would be. By contrast, the Birmingham Botanical Garden was a disappointment: a) you have to pay b) no philosophers' seats commemorated c) not especially big and the novelty historic gardens are not very well kept. Still took out a membership though.

Gulftastic

The views on the Settle-Carlisle run. Genuinely breath-taking.

South Shields Town Hall. Far grander than it has any right to be

Kankurette

The Happy Mondays. Expected them to be fun, but shit. They were much better live than I expected, although it was all about Rowetta and Bez. Some bloke hit on me during Bob's Your Uncle, which is one of the least sexy songs about sex ever (apart from the one about Ryder having breasts).

mr. logic

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 31, 2021, 11:01:47 AM
The views on the Settle-Carlisle run. Genuinely breath-taking.

South Shields Town Hall. Far grander than it has any right to be

The bench there is a memorial to the two teenage kids from shields that were killed in the Manchester bombing. It's a pleasant little scene, but like Sunderland, the centre is a disgrace.

derek stitt

Only been to Sheffield a few times but, am very impressed by the exterior and interior of the central library building each time I visit.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on July 31, 2021, 11:11:05 AM
The Happy Mondays. Expected them to be fun, but shit. They were much better live than I expected, although it was all about Rowetta and Bez. Some bloke hit on me during Bob's Your Uncle, which is one of the least sexy songs about sex ever (apart from the one about Ryder having breasts).

Ha, I saw them live when they reformed and they were great. As were Black Grape when I saw them after they reformed.

Kankurette

Black Grape played with Space in London a while back and I'm annoyed with myself for not going.

Shit Good Nose

On that note, Level 42.  Always took them for MOR boredom with a couple of mild background toe-tappers, but a mate is a huge fan and strongarmed me into seeing them with him (by paying for my ticket) on the Retroglide tour.  They are an incredible live band and their albums don't really do them justice. (I paid my mate for my ticket in the end, but he only accepted half... mainly because he didn't have a car at the time and public transport wasn't an option and he revealed he was after a lift more than anything, but it was a win-win in the end)

peanutbutter

The Pogues at a festival around 2010, went purely because I imagined the crowd would be intense but it was like ten times more intense than I expected. Walking out of that tent was probably the the most dehydrated I've ever been.

All Surrogate

When it comes to places, Jerusalem was astonishing. As a tedious atheist, I was expecting an interesting historic place, sure, like Rome or Istanbul ... but it's such a weird place, it really affected me. The groups dancing and singing at the entrances in the old wall (bar/bat mitzvahs? weddings?), the horrible security process, the craziness at the Wailing Wall, leaving the darkness of an ancient christian church to hear the islamic adhan drifting in the air in the bright sunshine. It wasn't Jerusalem Syndrome (I'm still a tedious atheist), but it was definitely an experience out of the ordinary.

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 31, 2021, 02:31:57 AM
I've heard the Mona Lisa is tiny and very disappointing. Not seen it though. Guernica on the other hand is pretty spectacular.

That reminds me of encountering the triptych Three Studies for Figures at the Base of a Crucifixion by Francis Bacon in the Tate Modern. I hadn't been aware that it was on display there, so it was a big surprise to round a corner and see it. It was incredible to see it 'live'. Similarly, the Rosetta Stone, in the British Museum, moved me almost to tears; I wasn't expecting that at all.

Fr.Bigley

Lived in Hull for a bit, twice. Can confirm the new town is deso, full of the sort of people you know eat chips with every meal. Old Town alright. Surprised you didn't mention The Minerva though on the quayside, best pub there. Food banging too.

JaDanketies

Quote from: All Surrogate on July 31, 2021, 06:05:52 PM
When it comes to places, Jerusalem was astonishing. As a tedious atheist, I was expecting an interesting historic place, sure, like Rome or Istanbul ... but it's such a weird place, it really affected me. The groups dancing and singing at the entrances in the old wall (bar/bat mitzvahs? weddings?), the horrible security process, the craziness at the Wailing Wall, leaving the darkness of an ancient christian church to hear the islamic adhan drifting in the air in the bright sunshine. It wasn't Jerusalem Syndrome (I'm still a tedious atheist), but it was definitely an experience out of the ordinary.

I quite fancy going to Israel and toyed with the idea of going to Tel Aviv a few years back when a friend of a friend was there. Not sure I could ethically justify the visit though. In fact I'd go to Mecca if the Saudis were cooler too

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Kankurette on July 31, 2021, 12:59:26 PM
Black Grape played with Space in London a while back and I'm annoyed with myself for not going.

Tag/ Kankurette mentions The Spacies/ Tag

pancreas

^ He's talking about the slow roast leg of lamb he cooked tonight.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Psybro on July 31, 2021, 10:16:57 AM
I've lived in the nicer bits of Sheffield for almost 17 years now and love it to bits, I'm now in what feels more like a village next to green belt and the Peaks but with access to the city on my doorstep.

The thing is though is it's a perfect case study of the stratification of British society.  For example round the back of the Cathedral you have law firms and their coffee shops bumping shoulders with a big addiction centre, and to the west or east of there really does feel like two different cities.

I'm worried the city centre may be a dead loss now because millions of pounds of investment have only succeeded in making the rubbish bit better and the good bit rubbish.

Some of the South Yorkshire pit towns still feel surprisingly alive compared to their North Notts cousins.

Bomb Meadhowhall, would pay to watch it being absolutely levelled. Get any living things to safety first, of course.

Rizla

Had occasion to visit Linlithgow yesterday, forgot what an attractive little town it is, and only ten minutes on the train from Edinburgh. The Burgh hall has been tarted up nice since I was last there

touchingcloth

I've seen shit that'll shock your eyelids. The sun and the moon, and even Mars, the Milky Way and fucking shooting stars.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 01, 2021, 11:39:34 PM
I've seen shit that'll shock your eyelids. The sun and the moon, and even Mars, the Milky Way and fucking shooting stars.

Yeah, alright Branson.

steve98

Armando Iannucchi's Great Expectations. I don't know what I was expecting (certainly not much), but it surpassed those modest expectations in every way.
As one critic wrote "Great Expectations was great and surpassed my expectations."