Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

4 x Weddings + 1 x Funeral

Started by Pancake, July 29, 2021, 04:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Despite my strong bias against anything Richard Curtis has had any sort of involvement with, whenever I see it I have to begrudgingly acknowledge that, yep, it's great. Fracking direction from Newell. Amazing cast as well - Hugh Grant before his stock-in-trade became doing parodies of Hugh Grant.

sevendaughters

Unwittingly created a monster - several, in fact - but an excellent film.

chveik

BlodwynPig

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" I can give you Oscar Wilde's fax number, you American cunt."
" No you can't, buddy. How big a butterball do you think I am? I happen to know that faggot playwright has been dead for at least 30 years."

" I know I fucked you on the first night I met you and everything, but I'm going to marry this rich, old cunt, quite clearly for his money, you ok with that, floppy fringe?"
" Er....well....I would have to say...yes....I do suppose..."
" Just say "yes", without that fucking bumbling, you prick. By the way, your deaf brother was clearly referring to my tits just then, how fucking stupid do you think I am? Say, should I invite your smug fucking friends to my wedding, even though I hardly know the cunts?"
" Well, I would have to say....In the words of  The Sweet...."
" STOP. FUCKING .BUMBLING. IT'S. FUCKING. NAUSEATING. YOU. FUCKING. CREEP."
" Alright, alright. Invite us lot then."

" Do you accept Emma Thompson's sister to be your awful wedded wife?"
" * sighs heavily* Really? ' awful' instead of ' lawful? In the year fucking 1994?"

" By the way, Marmalade Atkins, what the Fuck are you doing living with me in the middle of fucking London, with no job or anything? How the fuck do we know each other?"
" I don't fucking know. What the fuck's * your* job, anyway? Come to think of it, what the Fuck is the job of *any* of your fucking friends? How do these self- satisfied twats support themselves?"
" Well, actually...erm...I would have to say...."
" I WOULD HAVE TO SAY SHOVE THAT BUMBLING SCHTICK RIGHT UP YOUR RECTAL PASSAGE, FRINGEBOY."
" Alright, alright. Fair enough."

" Is it raining? I hadn't noticed."
" It's clearly pissing down, you vacuous American, gold- digging, rich old cunt fucking and fleecing proto- Anna Nicole Smith bint. Do you want to go halvers on a bastard with me, or not?"
" Sure. You've cut out that bumbling shit, anyways."

It's a wonderful, wonderful film, darlings.

St_Eddie

It's only brilliant if you're the sort of person who eats kettle crisps out of a wicker bowl.

Pancake

sevendaughters

who isn't decanting premium crisps?

Replies From View

dissolute ocelot

It's no Man Up, but it has its moments. And I like the sad bit: as others have said it's by far the least obnoxious Richard Curtis, and the only one that actually manages real emotion.

Is it easier to laugh at American rom-coms because the glaring implausibilities are sometimes less obvious? Or less insulting?

Dusty Substance

Not sure I'd rate it as high as "bloody brilliant" but it's definitely one of the better romantic comedies of the last 30 years.

It's easy to dismiss a film like FWAAF due to the writer's later work, the caricature that Hugh Grant became for the following decade and the whole upper-middle class/lower-upper class lovey vibe (my former M.P Amber Rudd was a credited "aristocracy co-ordinator") , but it was a lightning-in-the-bottle kind of chemistry between script, acting and directing that British comedy films tried to recapture for decades after.

It still remains quite rare for a comedy film, especially a British comedy film, to get Oscar nominations yet FW got nominated for Best Screenplay AND Best Picture.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 30, 2021, 01:49:36 AM
It's only brilliant if you're the sort of person who eats kettle crisps out of a wicker bowl.

If only Bitter Moon had been picked up on by UK culture in the same way I'm sure society today would be very different.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" The Tall Guy" is the best Richard Curtis film.

McChesney Duntz

touchingcloth

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 30, 2021, 05:55:54 PM

It's about time someone said it.

Keebleman

"Rotten luck."  "Yes, isn't it?"  Love that bit.  Most British comedy moment ever.

Replies From View

"Oh blast them"  "what-what?"  "Blazes to the entire bunch of them"  "what ho and bothering dandy"

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 30, 2021, 05:55:54 PM
For Elephant! The Musical.
Take a good look,
Prepare for the worst,
The ugliest man
In the universe

Replies From View

Best ever moment in a Richard Curtis film was when all the characters ate victoria sponge on a routemaster bus

and saying "ooohhh jolly jolly whatting what what what old chap old what old chap"

and there were bobbies on every street corner do you remember

remember Richard Curtis films

Butchers Blind

Wasn't this just Peter's Friends but with almost jokes?

sevendaughters

don't think it needs to have jokes, it's a series of observations about English behaviour around rituals with some central characters to give semblance of narrative

bgmnts

I had no idea it was a tv show.

famethrowa

Quote from: kalowski on August 02, 2021, 09:34:20 AM
For Elephant! The Musical.
Take a good look,
Prepare for the worst,
The ugliest man
In the universe

Fog, lads, fog
A real pea-souper

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 02, 2021, 11:40:24 AM
it's a series of observations about English behaviour around rituals with some central characters to give semblance of narrative
I've often thought (probably incorrectly) that it's an 'England' that the rest of the world thinks is a true vision of what we are, but represents about .5% of the place.

'Four Weddings and a Funeral' set where I grew up, for instance, would just be a series of similar events involving heavy drinking and at least one brawl by the end of the night. I'm not sure whether that would as tedious as the original or not.

touchingcloth

The title of the film is actually Four Weddings in a Funeral.

Ignatius_S

My dad was friends with Kenneth Griffith and not long after the film came out, they were at - very appropriately - a funeral together.

One of the other mourners came over and said (to Griffith, not my dad): "Excuse me, I just want to say how good you were in Four Weddings and how wonderful it is that your remembered all those lines!"

Griffith's response was: "Wonderful? Wonderful that I remembered my lines? What do you think I am? Fucking senile or something?"

thundarrshirt

I like the part where the plumber does the poem about stopcocks

touchingcloth

Quote from: thundarrshirt on August 04, 2021, 03:42:38 PM
I like the part where the plumber does the poem about stopcocks

And juicy bones, phwoar.