Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,320
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:21:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Purple Love Balloon, and Cud in general

Started by Rev+, July 30, 2021, 02:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0I7Pbdanf0

Shut up, that's a fucking banger, and the closest they had to a hit after their big one.  A ridiculously funky load of nonsense that butted heads with your Neds Atomic Dustbin and such.  Rampant ironic libido vs. moping around and wanking.

Cud were one of those bands who were always playing just down the road on any given night, like the Family Cat, but they never really slotted in with their contempories.  It was mainly the funkiness. 

Any fans?

Janie Jones

Yes I usually wade into any discussion on Britpop to say how Cud never got the recognition they deserved. Still touring - I last saw them a few years ago when the in-joke 'you fat bastard' chanting from the audience sounded very off, I hope that doesn't still happen. 'Only (a prawn in Whitby)' is one of my favourite songs ever.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Janie Jones on July 30, 2021, 09:04:30 AM
Yes I usually wade into any discussion on Britpop to say how Cud never got the recognition they deserved. Still touring - I last saw them a few years ago when the in-joke 'you fat bastard' chanting from the audience sounded very off, I hope that doesn't still happen. 'Only (a prawn in Whitby)' is one of my favourite songs ever.

I thought that was a Carter: The Unstoppable Sex Machine thing. The fans used to shout it at the band's  Bez, the late Jon Beast. 

Kankurette

What was Lion Pop? Because Cud apparently were that.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Kankurette on July 30, 2021, 06:38:03 PM
What was Lion Pop? Because Cud apparently were that.

The Wonder Stuff?  Contemporaneous lead singers with a mane. Tenuous.

Goldentony

first airing of Popadoodledandy I very seriously thought this band were Vic and Bob taking the piss with Vic doing vocals

jobotic

Cud were very good. Well, When In Rome, Kill Me was. Brilliant album. I also really like the single Rich & Strange.

Saw them a few years back with a Cud loving mate and had a great time.

Really don't put them in the same bracket as Neds Atomic Dutsbin, Wonder Stuff or Carter. All dreadful.

SweetPomPom

Only ever saw them supporting someone else, first couple of times back in the day and more recently as support for one of the USM annual reunions (when they actually let tiny Andrew Collins have a go on drums).
Good first time but they emptied the room the second time, in Leeds too. It was all a bit one-trick pony - PLB was their only banger wasn't it?

jobotic

I've Had it with Blondes is better. In fact everything on that album is.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Goldentony on July 30, 2021, 07:33:19 PM
first airing of Popadoodledandy I very seriously thought this band were Vic and Bob taking the piss with Vic doing vocals

I thought I was the only one! Honestly thought the lead singer was just Vic twatting about in a wig for a good few minutes.

But then I was also convinced that Tom Waits was just Ron Howard 'trying something' when I first saw him on the Tube, so I'm perhaps not the best when it comes to these things.

willbo

A DJ on Virgin radio a few years ago (probably 10 ish) was making fun of Cud for being obscure for some reason. They were giving away a cd of radio 1 sessions as a joke prize and the question was something like "is this first band called Cud Bud or Dud" and then had a discussion on how Radio 1 only plays crap noone has heard of

Rev+

Quote from: SweetPomPom on July 30, 2021, 08:56:07 PM
PLB was their only banger wasn't it?

Rich & Strange was their actual proper hit but it's a bit sanitised, if you know what I mean.  Like they'd been instructed to write a hit single.  They really were more of an album band, with PLB feeling like a bit of a fuckaround between major label albums with a label that didn't know what to do with them.  I mean, before too long they'd be back with 'Neurotica', and check the video out.  Take your glasses off and look edgy you cunt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpMlNz4Yg-8