Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:37:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Applying for a bloody job!

Started by Theremin, July 30, 2021, 10:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: flotemysost on August 03, 2021, 01:01:18 AM

Then I was told that actually HR would be sending them a link to a site which starts recording once they press "go" and the questions pop up on screen in timed intervals, no heads up, not even an interview panel to picture naked. Probably quite a standard process, possibly even pre-COVID, but it doesn't sound at all reassuring or arousing.

I had to do this last year, there was was about 15 questions fired one after another (no humans involved) and you had upto 60 seconds to prepare each question before you pressed "go", there was no option to rerecord.

I did a shot of vodka before I started and went into smiley/friendly/energetic youtube vlogger mode making sure that I looked directly into the camera lens when answering - I got through to the next round and they said they were especially impressed with my video.

Neomod

My team have been recruiting for a new post recently and as the hiring process is all being done remotely, part of the pre-interview whittling-down phase requires the applicants to record themselves answering two or three set questions into their webcam.

They've been doing this for years..

Cerys

I got a job today.  I hope your job turns out to be one that you get, Theremin.  Then we can both have jobs.

Jobs.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Cerys on August 07, 2021, 01:21:17 AM
I got a job today.
Congratulations. It's not cleaning the starling shit off Aberystwyth pier is it? (I resigned 2 months ago.)

Jasha

Quote from: Cerys on August 07, 2021, 01:21:17 AM
I got a job today. 

Congratulations, hope it wasn't from Billy Connolly.

Cerys

No actual excrement will be involved.  Unless something really weird happens.

bgmnts

Congrats to everyone getting jobs!

Glebe

chveik

Cerys

Malcy

Applied for a job last week and got it today luckily. Application process was quite good for a change. Phone interview followed by some online tests which I thought I did shite on, then a video interview this afternoon where I was told I'd passed with flying colours and could I start next week.

Shortest time between jobs in my life (often years rather than weeks). Lot of perks but it's basically sales which is a path I didn't want to go down again but after the complete fuck up that was my last job I'm looking forward to something new.

I really thought that was me on the dole again for fuck knows how long and with the lesser amount due to next months cuts.

Fambo Number Mive

Well done on the new job, all the best with it.

bgmnts

Congratulation Malcy!

I didn't know there were cuts next month, interesting time to be dolescum ha!

Malcy

Cheers, I can finally make my escape to a rural property with peace and quiet. Yeah the £20 p/w extra is being taken away again next month so almost a cut of 25%. It kept me and my cat warm last winter where I usually wouldn't have the money to have the heating on as much so it is going to have a big effect.

Pauline will be rubbing her hands with glee!

Malcy

My team have been recruiting for a new post recently and as the hiring process is all being done remotely, part of the pre-interview whittling-down phase requires the applicants to record themselves answering two or three set questions into their webcam. I thought that sounded fair enough - gives them time to prepare, maybe do a few takes in case of any stage fright or stumbling over words.

I was asked to do one of these last week and didn't bother. I just didn't like the thought of it. Would rather a one to one than recording something to send and it all sounds a bit forced.

Theremin

Jasha

Quote from: Malcy on August 16, 2021, 06:16:21 PM
Applied for a job last week and got it today

Fantastic news

Quote from: Malcy on August 16, 2021, 06:16:21 PM
Lot of perks but it's basically sales

No I don't need any double glazing thanks

Malcy

Quote from: Jasha on August 16, 2021, 07:41:39 PM
Fantastic news

No I don't need any double glazing thanks

I can give you a 10% CAB discount.

Malcy

Theremin

Going good, ta.

Waiting to hear from a few arts jobs, and just got a call from a frantic Vue recruiter looking for a venue manager.

Not sure I'll take it, but nice to be offered.

Anyone know what they're like as a company?

Cerys

One thing that sucks is when you get a job that pays at the end of the month, but you start it just that little bit too late, so that you end up having a month and a half with not much income because you've signed off your benefits.  Phooey.

All Surrogate

And you can't charge interest on the unpaid wage either.

Theremin

Finally got a bloody job, lads!

Artsy theatre stuff at a big nice institution in Amsterdam.

Big thanks to all for the advice and stories!

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Theremin on September 13, 2021, 07:25:13 PM

Ping-pong balls provided.

We've got that one out of the way. Congratulations!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Theremin on September 13, 2021, 07:25:13 PM

Big thanks to all for the advice and stories!

Top lad well done!

Twit 2

I'm applying for jobs at the mo, and wording the personal statement bit against the person spec is fucking soulless. I hate selling myself and I hate writing in the kind of application jargon that seems impossible to avoid, as the person spec is invariably riddled with it. I wish "Just give me the job, I can do it, trust me" was enough.

Glebe

Nice one, Theremin! And best of luck Twit 2!

Malcy

Great stuff Theremin! Hope it all goes well for you.

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 13, 2021, 08:02:15 PM
I'm applying for jobs at the mo, and wording the personal statement bit against the person spec is fucking soulless. I hate selling myself and I hate writing in the kind of application jargon that seems impossible to avoid, as the person spec is invariably riddled with it. I wish "Just give me the job, I can do it, trust me" was enough.

Yeah it's a load of bollocks. The CV should be enough to sell yourself and if they are in any doubt it doesn't take much to have a quick chat with you to know for sure. I fucking detest putting down all that jargon.