Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:27:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I bought a 3DS XL in 2021

Started by McQ, July 30, 2021, 11:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Despite loving my DS and my Wii, I missed out on the 3DS era. But I've played so much Switch during the pandemic that it's made me want to go back and revisit some of the games that I missed on older systems, so I found a fancy Zeldo 3DS XL on eBay (the golden one with the Triforce on the back) and treated myself. Anyone have any top recommendations for games that I shouldn't miss? So far I have:

Animal Crossing New Leaf (I wanted to meet this Brewster that everyone loves so much)
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice
KORG M01D
Pushmo/Pullblox

I might get hold of the N64 Zelda remakes, also, but any further recommendations would be gratefully received!

bgmnts

I have little experience with these despite owning a DS but Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Ghost Trick are fucking great games!

McQ

I love Ghost Trick! Apparently the physical version of this goes for a fortune now, glad I bought it when it was plentiful. I don't know Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, though, I'll check it out. Thanks!

I wonder if it has anything to do with Nicky Nicky Nine Doors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa9VlGUhQ3g

McQ

Also, I'm sad I probably won't get anyone showing up on StreetPass as I'm so late to the game. Anyone want to come and walk near to me (NOT TOO NEAR!!!!!!1) with their 3DS?

AzureSky

Same here, I bought one just to play Mario 3D Land. I have now 100% completed all of the 3D Mario games (bar the 64 version on the DS.. which I've also just bought, but I'm not getting on with it and never really feel like playing it). Also went back to the Wii to replay Galaxy as Luigi to get the final star there, having last played it in Dec 2007, it's still a brilliant game.

Is A Link Between Worlds worth getting?

peanutbutter

Check the version your on, if it can be softmodded do that asap. You'll then have access to most of the DS catalogue via TWiLight Menu (some games crash but like 95% run without issue) on the same machine without needing to get an R4 card.

Pretty sure there's still online support for 3DS? You can also play DS games online still but it's pretty convoluted now.

McQ

Quote from: Dineen on July 30, 2021, 01:31:57 PM
Same here, I bought one just to play Mario 3D Land. I have now 100% completed all of the 3D Mario games (bar the 64 version on the DS.. which I've also just bought, but I'm not getting on with it and never really feel like playing it). Also went back to the Wii to replay Galaxy as Luigi to get the final star there, having last played it in Dec 2007, it's still a brilliant game.

Not played it yet, but it got good reviews. It came as a download with the console!

I played Mario Galaxy 2 a few months ago, having played and loved the first, but then never got round to the second. I loved it so much. Maybe I'll have to go back and play the first one again as Luigi for that final star, I've still got my save game from ten years ago!

McQ

Quote from: peanutbutter on July 30, 2021, 01:37:28 PM
Check the version your on, if it can be softmodded do that asap. You'll then have access to most of the DS catalogue via TWiLight Menu (some games crash but like 95% run without issue) on the same machine without needing to get an R4 card.

Pretty sure there's still online support for 3DS? You can also play DS games online still but it's pretty convoluted now.

Ah, thanks for the tip. Yeah, the eShop works, but you can't use a credit card now, so I just top up my funds on the Switch and share it between the two systems. A bit fiddly, but nothing too difficult.

Consignia

Quote from: Dineen on July 30, 2021, 01:31:57 PM

Yes! It's an absolutely fantastic game. Absolutely filled to the brim with creativity, even it does share a bit too much with Link to the Past.

Jerzy Bondov

You may well have already played it on the Switch but I'm going to once again mention Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

madhair60

Wario Ware Gold and Rhythm Heaven Megamix mate

Ultimate NES Remix is good if you don't have the two Wii U games.

I have a love-hate relationship with Metroid: Samus Returns. When it's good, which is the majority of the game, it's amazing, but the first few hours are joyless bullet sponge shite, as is the final boss.

Pink Gregory

Look for Severed - it's a neat dungeon crawling game that uses the stylus a lot; by the same people who made Guacamelee

peanutbutter

Pocket Card Jockey by Game Freak isn't a fully fleshed out game but the core dynamic is crazy fun to play. Feel like there's room to run with it an make an insanely addictive game if they could figure out how to improve the breeding and a few other things to give it a bit more depth beyond that.

It's not amazing or anything, but Attack of the Friday Monsters is a pretty charming little game and, as far as I'm aware, the only English language game made by the guy that makes the Boku no Natsuyasumi series.

Those Sega Classics 3D collections are pretty great examples of the gimmicky tech to show off to other people too. I imagine Outrun 3D is  quite cheap?

Pink Gregory

oh!

Fire Emblem Awakening.  Very very good SRPG, worth a try at least.

lazyhour

First of all I'd like to say that you, my friend, are a solid gold legend.

Then, I'd add: Luigi's Mansion 2.

McQ

Quote from: lazyhour on July 31, 2021, 08:48:10 AM
First of all I'd like to say that you, my friend, are a solid gold legend.

Then, I'd add: Luigi's Mansion 2.

Thank you for conferring solid gold legend status upon me. I am but a mirror, reflecting your greatness back at you. And thanks to everyone for the great recommendations. I finished Super Mario 3D Land last night. Well, the main game, at least. Now I seem to have a whole second game to play, remixing the original levels. What a treat! I love it when Mario does that. This game is fantastic. It's got real Galaxy vibes, and I love the Mario 3 elements like the Raccoon/Tanooki suit (always my favourite power-up) and the battleship levels. Incroyable. Can't believe its ten years old. Nintendo games tend to age very well, don't they?

AzureSky

Definitely keep going to unlock Special-8 Crown level (and then do it with Mario and Luigi).

McQ

I will, for sure!

I've got two more special worlds to go (as Mario, I think I have to do them all again as Luigi, though, before I get the crown level). Got all the Star Coins so far. Although, disappointingly, I've now learned that I'm not going to be able to get the stars on my save game to go shiny because there were a few levels where I died more than five times. Am I going to create a second save file to try and obtain those shiny stars? I sincerely hope not. But I do wish I'd known this before I started. Shigeru should have warned me. Also, I'm pretty sure there were a few flagpoles that I didn't reach the very top of, so I'll have to try and identify which ones those were and go back and do them again. You crazy for this one, Mario.

Anyway, I'll forge ahead until I get to this elusive Crown level. Can't wait to see Matt Smith, Claire Foy, and John Lithgow in a Mario game!

AzureSky

Sod the shiny stars on the save file, absolutely no point creating a new save just for that.

Doing the levels as both Mario and Luigi and getting the flag isn't as bad as it sounds, you can whip through them pretty quickly. There is a little yellow flag icon for the ones you have already done. Just get a Tanooki suit for the trickier flags... although I think using a suit for last level is slightly against the spirit of the game!

GoblinAhFuckScary

AzureSky

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 02, 2021, 07:21:06 PM
majora is still king

I went and bought this for the N64 earlier this year also. Then had to buy an expansion pack, which I didn't know it needed, and then and old CRT portable TV. Cost me about £130, all told.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Dineen on August 02, 2021, 07:28:03 PM
I went and bought this for the N64 earlier this year also. Then had to buy an expansion pack, which I didn't know it needed, and then and old CRT portable TV. Cost me about £130, all told.

worth every penny. unsure where my original copy is so i had a run-through of it for about the tenth time early this year via emulation. worked pretty flawlessly except for the bombers notebook not being readable, but true fans don't need no bombers notebook to find their way

AzureSky

Great game, but the screen quality wasn't brilliant on the TV and very dark in places. Did the whole bloody lot though, all heart pieces, extras etc. Wondered about getting the 3DS version also, if just for visuals, but don't think I can do it again.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Dineen on August 02, 2021, 08:00:19 PM
Great game, but the screen quality wasn't brilliant on the TV and very dark in places. Did the whole bloody lot though, all heart pieces, extras etc. Wondered about getting the 3DS version also, if just for visuals, but don't think I can do it again.

save it till next year. i haven't regularly played videogames for close to a decade now but i still do an anual run of majora. i just love inhabiting that world so much

RHX

If you've played Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, play Virtue's Last Reward and follow it up with Zero Time Dilemma. Amazing story.