Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:50:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

American Breakfast

Started by Chedney Honks, July 30, 2021, 12:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

This morning, I had (for the first time) those fluffy American pancakes with bacon and sausage cooked inside the pancakes, with two fried eggs and like icing sugar on top with a little pail of maple syrup and some butter.

I finished about a third of it. Not saying it wasn't tasty in a very direct lizard brain hangover mulch kind of way but I could literally visualise my own funeral more vividly with each mouthful of syrupy sausage, buttered bacon and iced yolky batter.

Fuck are they doing having that for breakfast?

Any other muck they have?

imitationleather

I think those American pancakes look loads better than they taste. Whenever I've tried them I quickly remember I don't actually like the taste of maple syrup and whatnot. Especially when combined with what they call bacon.

king_tubby

Quite fancy some scrapple with a side of grits and some biscuits and gravy but you don't seem to be able to get it over here.

TrenterPercenter

Eating pudding for breakfast.  Mate.

The Mollusk

I had a breakfast burrito once in the States. Scrambled eggs, melted cheese, some sort of hot sauce, black beans, all kinds of shit. It was fucking amazing. Still even with a festival hangover I was only able to eat like half of it.

monkfromhavana

They just do not know what they are doing, do they?

Why can't they just have normal bacon?

Blumf

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 30, 2021, 01:35:42 PM
They just do not know what they are doing, do they?

Why can't they just have normal bacon?

The should be sent away to be taught how to be sensible, logical, responsible, practical.

TrenterPercenter

I've already said this in the other thread but the only improvement that can be made on yer standard ENGERLISH bacon butty is bacon in a naan which is on an equal footing in my world.

Butchers Blind

Fried breakfast guy would turn his nose up at this.

gilbertharding

Why aren't all Americans the size of actual houses? And how do any of them live beyond the age of 52?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 30, 2021, 01:53:33 PM
Why aren't all Americans the size of actual houses? And how do any of them live beyond the age of 52?

Most of them are, as do most of them have terrible teeth - it's just they aren't going to get many parts in any TV or Films

Neomod

American bacon is basically frazzles but I do love that country gravy they sometimes serve with breakfast.

TrenterPercenter

Yeah it's bad that Oscar Meyer stuff but you can get good streaky bacon in the UK.

The Crumb

At a NY breakfast diner a friend got chocolate cake french toast - a vhs tape sized slab of cake, egg dipped, fried and finished with whipped cream and icing sugar.

Cuellar

Would 100% choose 'American' breakfast over 'English' every time if offered.

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 30, 2021, 01:53:33 PM

Because most people don't have a big fuck off breakfast at a diner every day.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: king_tubby on July 30, 2021, 12:56:31 PM
Quite fancy some scrapple with a side of grits and some biscuits and gravy but you don't seem to be able to get it over here.

Grits, biscuit and shrimp in New Orleans was amazing and unusual for a breakfast veteran's palette.

kngen

I do miss a Set No. 4 from my local caff when I lived in East London, but - even then - I'd have to bring my own hot sauce for the eggs.

If you fuck off all the pancakes, and the sweet-and-savoury nonsense, American breakfasts can be amazing, esp. chicken-fried steak or omelets with whatever the fuck you want in them[nb]for example, my go-to: sausage, mushroom, artichoke and provolone. Try getting that in your local greasy soon, pal.[/nb] (diner style, cooked on a massive bloody hot plate and folded over multiple times so it's like an egg-based mille feuille). Also: proper huevos rancheros, not just scrambled eggs with just a bit of salsa from a jar dumped on top of it.

Most American supermarkets have an entire breakfast section in the freezer and cold aisles. I respect that immensely.

Cons: no back bacon; no proper sausages. Swings and roundabouts though.

madhair60

Chollis

honestly they both look good to me

checkoutgirl

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 30, 2021, 01:06:11 PM
Eating pudding for breakfast.  Mate.

What's wrong with that? Black pudding, white pudding, rashers, sausages, eggs, beans, mushrooms, tea and toast. Lovely.

king_tubby

Quote from: Chollis on July 30, 2021, 03:36:42 PM

honestly they both look good to me

Ooooh, tomatoes on the vine and parsley on the fried eggs? Is this the fucking Queen's fucking breakfast? Get it fucked off.

Chollis

that american bacon does look a bit sus

Can't be doing with American bacon. Take all the meat off and leave the fat? Get to fuck.

Jasha

Quote from: Chollis on July 30, 2021, 03:48:21 PM
that american bacon does look a bit sus

Looks more like midweek roast pork belly strips than bacon

Mr Banlon

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 30, 2021, 03:17:13 PM
Because most people don't have a big fuck off breakfast at a diner every day.

It's my extensive experience of American life (Watching a few TV shows) that the only meal Americans eat at home are Xmas, Thanksgiving and takeaways that come in about 27 separate boxes. Every other meal is eaten at a restaurant that looks like a school cafeteria, a diner or a food truck.

One guilty pleasure is Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives where all the food looks simultaneously wonderful and monstrously awful with about 500 random urbs thrown in to make the "flavour profile" taste good. The breakfasts all look absolutely atrocious. Who wants a fuck-off burrito for breakfast? Or a cake? or a chicken-fried steak (a waste of steak....if the steak was any good, which in most cases it probably isn't)

Ferris

I'll stick my oar in here and say American breakfasts are fucking boss and if you can't hack it then that's on you.