Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

American Breakfast

Started by Chedney Honks, July 30, 2021, 12:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Cuellar on July 30, 2021, 03:15:08 PM
Would 100% choose 'American' breakfast over 'English' every time if offered.

I stayed in motels and ate breakfast at diners/hotels/fast food places for 3 months whilst on a forces detachment in the US and I tried almost every breakfast variation out of sheer boredom.

I concluded the following:

American sausages are generally shit, they don't even have an encasement/skin.
Fried streaky bacon is hard to chew and gets boring as fuck when you realise there are no alternatives available.
Spongy pancakes with maple syrup are OK but only as a one off.
Shit yellow "cheese" should not be put on breakfasts, ever.
A waffle the size of a dinner plate, smothered in spray cream and sliced banana is the worst breakfast ever. I think I developed diabetes for the hours following my attempt to eat even half of it.

I like biscuits and gravy but only if done well, which it quite often isn't.
I also like scrapple.

I think my main take on American breakfasts is that it's a bad idea to consume 1000 calories for the first (or any other meal tbh) of the day. It doesn't sit well.

idunnosomename

Mushy peas with your blood pudding guvnor?

Milo

When I was at University I'd often go for hungover breakfasts at a local cafe. They offered an American Breakfast that was just a full English, but with chips.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Milo on August 02, 2021, 02:55:42 PM
When I was at University I'd often go for hungover breakfasts at a local cafe. They offered an American Breakfast that was just a full English, but with chips.

Even more strange given Americans don't really go for chips (sorry - FRIES) with breakfast.  Closest you'll get is "home fries" or wedges, but even then they're not always an option on a breakfast menu.

Famous Mortimer

The unlimited refills of coffee was my favourite thing about getting used to American breakfasts (been veggie for yonks so I've never experience American bacon or "sausages").

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 02, 2021, 02:51:06 PM

Do they even eat black pudding? I always got the idea that they see it as something akin to vampirism. In fact, any offal based stuff is a no no. Haggis, kidney, liver. Most Americans wouldn't even eat a faggot.
Actually, they do have chitlins, which is pig intestines, but I think that's a Southern thing from the slave plantations.

Milo

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 02, 2021, 03:02:55 PM
Even more strange given Americans don't really go for chips (sorry - FRIES) with breakfast.  Closest you'll get is "home fries" or wedges, but even then they're not always an option on a breakfast menu.

I don't suppose potato has really made serious inroads to the breakfast scene. The odd bit of fried leftover Sunday roast potatoes is about it.

In the cafe they were sometimes fries but they varied, presumably based on what was cheapest in the cash and carry. There was also an Indian Breakfast that was a full English but with a bit of tinned chicken curry. The mind boggles.

king_tubby

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 02, 2021, 03:09:08 PM
Do they even eat black pudding? I always got the idea that they see it as something akin to vampirism. In fact, any offal based stuff is a no no. Haggis, kidney, liver. Most Americans wouldn't even eat a faggot.
Actually, they do have chitlins, which is pig intestines, but I think that's a Southern thing from the slave plantations.

Cajuns eat black pudding.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 02, 2021, 03:09:08 PM

You can get both black pudding and haggis, but neither are common, you'd have to go to certain states to get them, and American haggis is missing lungs of course, which for many is what separates haggis from every other offal based foodstuff.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Milo on August 02, 2021, 03:12:49 PM
I don't suppose potato has really made serious inroads to the breakfast scene. The odd bit of fried leftover Sunday roast potatoes is about it.

In the cafe they were sometimes fries but they varied, presumably based on what was cheapest in the cash and carry. There was also an Indian Breakfast that was a full English but with a bit of tinned chicken curry. The mind boggles.

There's hash browns I suppose, but I see them as an unnecessary extravagance. There's already enough on the plate as it is.

Paul Calf

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 30, 2021, 07:39:13 PM
When you think about it - when you really think about it - mental sugar highs aside, the US must have about the best food culture on the planet, right? California food trucks to Texas barbecues to Cajun/Creole to New England clam bakes to name but a very small handful of the sorts of cuisines which originated in the country which I have wet dreams about getting to shove into my gob some day.

That's before you even mention the fusion foods like Tex Mex or the fact that just about every world cuisine is represented there to a high standard in one city or another. My mouth and I would love to eat the fuck out of the place.

Perhaps, but most American food is shit.

thenoise

The trouble is that Americans are so keen to export the very worst of their food to the rest of the world. There's heaps of American style restaurants/cafes/takeaways all over Europe but how much of it is fine dining? Or even, acceptable? It's cheap shit for cunts, and the number of Michelin starred restaurants there are in New York isn't going to change that. American food anywhere but America is dreadful.

king_tubby

Hang on, are you saying that the OK Diner chain of restaurants along Britain's A roads is FAKE AMERICAN????

Icehaven

When I went to Whitby I remember driving past a diner with a massive picture of Adam Richman outside (this was when he was still doing Man vs. Food. Or at least it was still popular in the U.K. anyway) somewhere that felt like the middle of nowhere. It made me wonder why there weren't more diner type places in Britain, but there probably are now and food's more expensive here too so it wouldn't work the same way.

Cuellar

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 02, 2021, 03:21:23 PM
Perhaps, but most American food is shit.

Most food anywhere is shit.

Chollis

wish I lived in America food looks way better than the UK

TrenterPercenter

Frankies and Bennies is an abomination; a curse to its diners and workers.

Having said that I had worst breakfast I've ever eaten at a Cafe Rogue in Chester.[nb]btw I'm aware that Cafe Rogue is apparently now terrible but I'd not eaten there for about a decade and originally it was kindof ok as in it wouldn't kill you[/nb]

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Chollis on July 30, 2021, 09:48:54 PM
anyone got any tips for sprucing up scrambled eggs? i love them and have been eating them a lot in lockdown but getting a bit bored of plain scramblers

Egg and parmesan is a perfect match (not the american powdered parmesan)

+1 on cobb's jarred Pataks.

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 02, 2021, 02:51:06 PM

If there's a fundamental problem with American culture it's their stubborn refusal to give peas a chance.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 02, 2021, 04:54:35 PM
Frankies and Bennies is an abomination; a curse to its diners and workers.

Having said that I had worst breakfast I've ever eaten at a Cafe Rogue in Chester.[nb]btw I'm aware that Cafe Rogue is apparently now terrible but I'd not eaten there for about a decade and originally it was kindof ok as in it wouldn't kill you[/nb]

Worst I've had is Subway. The egg and bacon are precooked and heated up once in the bread. Pure rubbery deso.

AllisonSays

In New York we went to a wee cornershop or whatever which made egg and cheese bagels with hot sauce for breakfast and they were spot on, although I probably couldn't have eaten them every day for more than week without fundamentally changing my body shape. The coffee was terrible though, I hate that dripping hot plate shit, although presumably (at least in New York) it's easy to find espressos and that if you actually look for them instead of going to a cornershop in East Harlem.

Ferris

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 03, 2021, 02:27:31 PM
Worst I've had is Subway. The egg and bacon are precooked and heated up once in the bread. Pure rubbery deso.

To be fair, you did walk into a subway and order a breakfast sandwich. You are not without your share of blame for what happened.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

American Breakfast, get away from me
American Breakfast, mama let me be

Do you like American Breakfast?
I like American Breakfast.
Don't you like American Breakfast, baby?

gilbertharding

Is this the thread to come to if I wanted to admit I quite like a McDonalds breakfast from time to time?

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 03, 2021, 03:03:33 PM
To be fair, you did walk into a subway and order a breakfast sandwich. You are not without your share of blame for what happened.

In my defence, I was moving house, so I was short for time, and I had a voucher. Otherwise I'd have told them to keep it the moment the bloke grabbed the egg with his tongs and it was hanging off the end like a fucked Boglin.

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 03, 2021, 04:06:38 PM
Is this the thread to come to if I wanted to admit I quite like a McDonalds breakfast from time to time?

Very partial to a McDonald's breakfast. Get the double bacon and egg McMuffin and add a sausage disc for 30p. Lovely old job. Make it a meal to get the hash brown and make sure you choose the bottle of refreshing orange juice to pretend you've somehow offset the harm done by the food.

TrenterPercenter

Cuellar

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 03, 2021, 04:06:38 PM

Used to love their 'pancakes' and 'sausage' breakfast, served in a polystyrene tray. Absolute cardboard food, covered in maple syrup and butter. Incredible.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think that's you outed as a despicable freak then. Get in the gutter! Stand in the gutter! You are in the gutter! Good!

Tony Tony Tony

I recall being served a breakfast in Orlando and digging through a mountain of whipped cream (the squirty stuff) then hitting the motherlode of pancakes.

Reckon I would still have been there if I didn't have to come home.

monkfromhavana

This one looks vaguely normal apart from that big lump of.. to be honest I have no clue what that lump of matter is. No idea what the segment of orange is for either, squeezing on the bread?