Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

American Breakfast

Started by Chedney Honks, July 30, 2021, 12:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Gratified for the level of tomatoscepticism on display here. Some places I've been will actually some sort of HERB on them! Can you imagine? Green has no place in the cooked breakfast!

I've only ever seen tinned plum tomatoes on offer in canteens (school, army or work). There's some sort of fundamental universal truth to be gleaned from that.

Stayed in two or three Park Plazas in London for work, and the breakfast buffets are notable for their range (they even have grapefruit juice, a must-have for the mothman-friendly breakfast spread). But the sausages are these weird little things, the bacon is frequently streaky and dry and tough, and the scrambled egg (I'm a scrambled egg man, though will take fried if they're done right) is that reconstituted stuff that, as Gurke and Hare notes, manages to be watery and dry at the same time.

I like pancakes & bacon with maple syrup. I came to it late in life (well, thirty) - it was what MrsMoth made me for breakfast the first full weekend we ever spent together.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on August 05, 2021, 08:30:55 PM
Gratified for the level of tomatoscepticism on display here. Some places I've been will actually some sort of HERB on them! Can you imagine? Green has no place in the cooked breakfast!

Probably just bought a pallet of the wrong tin, I've done that (not at pallet level obvs) before when in a rush.

mothman

No, not the tinned toms - these were the grilled half fresh ones, clearly garnished. I mean, I wasn't going to eat the fucking thing anyway, but that's not the point! Whatever next? A side salad with breakfast? Or Lincolnshire sausages?

Ferris

Who puts tinned toms on their breakfast? That's a one way ticket to the loony bin.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on August 05, 2021, 08:38:07 PM
No, not the tinned toms - these were the grilled half fresh ones, clearly garnished. I mean, I wasn't going to eat the fucking thing anyway, but that's not the point! Whatever next? A side salad with breakfast? Or Lincolnshire sausages?

I've had posh fry ups with herby sausages and fancy bacon and it's always a bit of a letdown.

Would prefer a fountain one with sausages made of lips, arseholes and rusk.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 05, 2021, 08:41:30 PM
Who puts tinned toms on their breakfast? That's a one way ticket to the loony bin.

Nobody in their right mind does it in their own home but it seems to be a thing in some places.

shiftwork2

A sensibly-grilled tomato should have pride of place on your breakfast plate.

There are some absolute knuckle-draggers on this forum.

mothman

I don't claim to understand it, but it's a thing. Thankfully a quite limited one. Sometimes I think Brits just don't think things through. I know people for whom the idea that leftover roast potatoes, sliced then fried, are THE perfect breakfast potato accompaniment (I find hash browns too variable in quality & consistency to ever be a reliable staple) to be this mind blowing revelation.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 05, 2021, 08:46:27 PM

It has pride of place just OFF my breakfast plate. Sometimes off the table completely.

seepage

favourite breakfast option is sausage in a croissant, loads of extra butter and black pepper.

Can't be doing with runny bean juice. Get down to breakfast at the last possible moment, order the last omelette off the most pissed off girl at the 'show cooking' station then add congealed beans. 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mothman on August 05, 2021, 08:46:42 PM
I know people for whom the idea that leftover roast potatoes, sliced then fried, are THE perfect breakfast potato accompaniment (I find hash browns too variable in quality & consistency to ever be a reliable staple) to be this mind blowing revelation.

When we were in the scouts we once got served a fry up with leftover fried smash instead of hash browns and that was the bollocks tbh.

So much so that on occasion I've bought the Aunt Bessies frozen mash pucks to add to a breakfast.

seepage

Just +1-clubbed a grilled tomato straight into the bin for 30 xp.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 05, 2021, 08:45:08 PM
Nobody in their right mind does it in their own home but it seems to be a thing in some places.

If anyone tried that with me I'd flip the table over, immediately leave the establishment, and submit a one star Yelp review of puce rage.

Jasha

Fried, looking all innocent but hiding red hot grease within that burns your tongue and sears your throat all the way down

Quote from: mothman on August 05, 2021, 08:46:42 PM
It has pride of place just OFF my breakfast plate. Sometimes off the table completely.

Breakfast barter economy

"You want my black pudding Ray?, not gonna eat that tomato?"

Shit Good Nose

Tell you what though - one of the very few pleasures I get from Facebook these days is the daily Rate My Plate updates (the pictures for which run the full gamut from failure on a plate [some of them no doubt intentional] right up to REALLY impressive restaurant quality stuff [no doubt some of the people posting are professional chefs, or at least have pro kitchen experience]), and the number of "full English" that come with chips is quite eyebrow raising.  Even worse is that most of them don't have black pudding either.

shiftwork2

The hot piquant sweetness of a grilled tomato balances the saltiness, and the greasiness, of the rest of the dish.

Come at me

Ferris

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 05, 2021, 08:56:47 PM
The hot piquant sweetness of a grilled tomato balances the saltiness, and the greasiness, of the rest of the dish.

Come at me

A ludicrously offensive opinion - you'll be defending Savile next.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 05, 2021, 08:55:05 PM
Tell you what though - one of the very few pleasures I get from Facebook these days is the daily Rate My Plate updates (the pictures for which run the full gamut from failure on a plate [some of them no doubt intentional] right up to REALLY impressive restaurant quality stuff [no doubt some of the people posting are professional chefs, or at least have pro kitchen experience]), and the number of "full English" that come with chips is quite eyebrow raising.  Even worse is that most of them don't have black pudding either.

Might've changed now because I stopped going to them long ago but spoons used to have a weird thing where if you missed the proper breakfast cut-off then you had to get the 'all day' breakfast that came with chips and was missing some items. In scotland you could still add haggis as an extra though.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 05, 2021, 09:01:05 PM
Might've changed now because I stopped going to them long ago but spoons used to have a weird thing where if you missed the proper breakfast cut-off then you had to get the 'all day' breakfast that came with chips and was missing some items. In scotland you could still add haggis as an extra though.

They still did it just pre-Covid, although it shows up the silliness of apparently not being able to do the normal breakfast (maybe not eggs benedict etc.) all day. Is it that much hassle to still have the capacity to do hash browns and toast at the same time as chips? I know they have to use the same cooking areas for different menu items but caaammm aaaaahn.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on August 05, 2021, 09:06:57 PM
They still did it just pre-Covid, although it shows up the silliness of apparently not being able to do the normal breakfast (maybe not eggs benedict etc.) all day. Is it that much hassle to still have the capacity to do hash browns and toast at the same time as chips? I know they have to use the same cooking areas for different menu items but caaammm aaaaahn.

At least there's perhaps some logic behind that.

Cafes that stop doing breakfasts but seem to sell each item in their baguettes though, what's that all about?

mothman

The one time I had a Spoons breakfast was at Gatwick before a business trip. And I liked it. It was a perfectly decent breakfast. I can see how it'd be an experience that'd not be the same again, were I to actually ever seek to repeat it (but won't, due to Brexit cunt).

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 05, 2021, 09:08:40 PM

Cafes that stop doing breakfasts but seem to sell each item in their baguettes though, what's that all about?

Exactly. If it wasn't prohibitively expensive I'd say "Can I have a sausage baguette with no baguette, a bacon baguette with no baguette, egg chips and beans with no chips, tea and toast with no tea, and all on the same plate please." just to MAKE THE POINT.

Cuntbeaks

My breakfast high water mark had to be when working in the previously mentioned butchers/meat processors.

Every morning they would cook up a veritable mountain of, free, artery blocking comestibles.

Square sausage (regular, steak and the rare onion variety)

Links (beef and pork)

Potato scones

Black pudding

Fried eggs (10p supplement)

Trays of fresher than fresh Crispy Rolls (butter optional)

You would just go up and take whatever you could cope with without falling into a food coma.

Also notable for having a selection of scud mags in the toilet.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on August 05, 2021, 10:57:20 PM
Also notable for having a selection of scud mags in the toilet.

Ha when I worked in a bookies all the shops were fairly normal except for one that was a bit out the way and busy enough that they got left alone and was ran by 3 blokes, the cupboards were like the ones in Fletch's cell with page 3 clippings inside the doors and someone had screwed one of the racks meant for holding Racing Posts on the bog wall and filled it with shitty lads mags. Grim.

I also found a half-botlle of vodka behind the microwave in another shop, and it's expressly illegal to have booze in a bookies i think.

Although to be fair if we're counting BAC I usually had some in me.

My dad has been doing this for as long as I can remember. Pours a bit of extra juice from the can in as well which fucks with any nice crispy bits that the bacon and sausage might have had. Absolute madness.

Replies From View

idunnosomename

Breakfast time. I'll have anyone's grilled tomato who doesnt want it

monkfromhavana

ME and my ilk, kith and kin. You're all mad. I bet you all put your beans in a ramekin as well.

king_tubby

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on August 06, 2021, 06:45:49 AM
My dad has been doing this for as long as I can remember. Pours a bit of extra juice from the can in as well which fucks with any nice crispy bits that the bacon and sausage might have had. Absolute madness.

Bacon with tinned tomato on toast is immense. Plenty of black pepper. Old man's dinner.

Agreed, just the one and with a slightly soft taste

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Soft taste, aromatic shape, blackened flavour.

Anyone who objects to such a fruit on a breakfast plate is deserving of the intolerance they display to others: they should be put to death. I shall say no more about it.