Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shit. Craig Murray jailed for 'media contempt'.

Started by Paul Calf, July 30, 2021, 04:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2021/07/going-dark/

QuoteToday is the most heartbreaking day. My husband whose health has been found to not be suitable for prison must hand himself in for detention within hours following the UK Supreme Court's decision not to hear his appeal.

We were extremely hopeful that the Supreme Court would hear his case and had no doubt that this particular case should have been heard given how important and relevant it is in the context of Freedom of Speech in the UK. Instead, the Supreme Court declined to hear it.

Yet again my heart is deeply saddened to find that the UK, once a country which placed great importance on Human Rights issues, has failed to listen to my husband's case. Additionally, the Scottish Court outright dismissed Craig's poor health, having been made aware through the mandatory Social Work report and doctor's reports that his wellbeing would be at risk if forced to go to jail.

At first I tried to come to terms of him being jailed in the hope he would be granted dignified conditions in jail but I am saddened and shocked to learn he could be placed among criminals, with no ability to bring books or enable him to write, with no entertainment allowed. He is being treated like a criminal. This is not a just punishment, this is a deliberate attempt to break the spirit of anyone brave enough to make use of free speech.

I mean, how many fucking warnings do we need?

Not sure LolFox or Hatie are anywhere to be seen at the moment, although they're surely due to put in a protest about this outrageous persecution of free speech.

The Ombudsman

I've not followed this case.

Did he break the law? Is this a technicality or is it a banged to rights case?

Alberon

Admittedly according to the BBC

QuoteMurray was given the eight-month sentence for breaching a strict court order which had been passed during the former first minister's trial on sexual assault charges in March 2020.

Judge Lady Dorrian passed the order to protect the identities of the women who claimed to have been abused by the ex-SNP leader, who was acquitted of all 13 sexual assault charges.

However, the retired diplomat breached the order and published pieces of information on his blog which, if pieced together like a jigsaw, could lead readers to establish the identities of the women.

IF true, then fuck him.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Alberon on July 30, 2021, 04:28:51 PM

IF true, then fuck him.

I know he has a lot of supporters but yeah, if he broke the law, however righteous his intentions, he broke the law. How many other people get off because of health grounds? Not saying it's not a valid cause, genuinely don't know how often this happens.

Rizla

He didn't break the law, he broke a court order. So yeah, nothing to see here, off to jail with the journalist, and FUCK HIM!!!!!!!

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Rizla on July 30, 2021, 04:45:00 PM
He didn't break the law, he broke a court order. So yeah, nothing to see here, off to jail with the journalist, and FUCK HIM!!!!!!!

I don't understand. Surely breaking a court order is illegal. What's the point of having them if you can't enforce them?

Rizla

Quote from: The Ombudsman on July 30, 2021, 05:11:51 PM
I don't understand. Surely breaking a court order is illegal. What's the point of having them if you can't enforce them?
Totally agree. It's illegal, what he did, therefore let the cunt rot in jail. A suspended sentence or a fine would send out entirely the wrong message here.

robhug

we need a poster who is independent and without prejudice to confirm if he's broken the law or not

Rizla

EDIT fuck it, can't be arsed.

Let it simply be accepted that imprisoning 62 year old journalists (even those with with serious health concerns and young families) is simply the sort of thing that all modern, progressive countries do, every day. Whae's like us?

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Rizla on July 30, 2021, 05:31:31 PM
EDIT fuck it, can't be arsed.

Let it simply be accepted that imprisoning 62 year old journalists (even those with with serious health concerns and young families) is simply the sort of thing that all modern, progressive countries do, every day. Whae's like us?

I understand it's a very unpleasant situation, and regrettable. But I can't see why someone specifically doing something they were told not to shouldn't be taken seriously.

jamiefairlie

Many other journalists did the same and worse. He seems to have been deliberately targeted for political reasons.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Alberon on July 30, 2021, 04:28:51 PM

QuoteHowever, the retired diplomat breached the order and published pieces of information on his blog which, if pieced together like a jigsaw, could lead readers to establish the identities of the women.

IF true, then fuck him.

It's not true. You can't piece a blog together like a jigsaw, that's not how blogs work.

BlodwynPig

Madness. Sad to see so many quick to shout 'fuck him'.

There is a sickness in society and Craig Murray is not a symptom.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 30, 2021, 08:26:06 PM
Madness. Sad to see so many quick to shout 'fuck him'.

There is a sickness in society and Craig Murray is not a symptom.

There's other agendas at play.

dissolute ocelot

He's a misogynist who's been pushing hateful conspiracy theories for years and tried to interfere in a trial for serious sexual offences. Unless you can explain why breaking the law to defend Alex Salmond was so important to attempt to ruin women's lives by identifying them. Nothing to do with journalism. And yes others should probably be on trial too.

BlodwynPig

Hundhoon

Norfolk boy from Sheringham calling for an armed rebellion in Scotland

Remember his tweets on Sergei Skripal,  lol defending the Russian hardcore assassins as being gay lovers hiding their sexuality visiting Salisbury.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Hundhoon on July 31, 2021, 12:24:19 AM
Norfolk boy from Sheringham calling for an armed rebellion in Scotland

Remember his tweets on Sergei Skripal,  lol defending the Russian hardcore assassins as being gay lovers hiding their sexuality visiting Salisbury.

Hmmm...

The Ombudsman

I don't think it matters that he was acquitted.

I don't much like what I know of the current legal system. It certainly needs review and improvement. That said, if you aren't prosecuting people for going against the courts, it surely would be a free for all?

chveik

putting women that were (allegedly) abused in danger is wrong. going against a court injonction is context-based.

putting a sick man in prison is wrong too. (sadly we also shouldn't forget that we've had examples of real cunts that tried to get out of jail thanks to dodgy health reasons.)

it's all well and good to say 'there are other agendas at play' but if you don't tell us what are they we won't go far.

back to the drawing board Paul.

Funcrusher

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Funcrusher on July 31, 2021, 09:57:28 PM
An excellent article, as always, by Jonathan Cook, on the significance of this case for independent journalism.

https://thegrayzone.com/2021/07/31/craig-murrays-jailing-national-security-state-independent-journalism/

Yeah that's good. Clearly outlines the hidden agendas I was talking about. It's not a popular view on this forum though.

Rizla

Quote from: Funcrusher on July 31, 2021, 09:57:28 PM
An excellent article, as always, by Jonathan Cook, on the significance of this case for independent journalism.

https://thegrayzone.com/2021/07/31/craig-murrays-jailing-national-security-state-independent-journalism/
The NUJ's part in all this is outrageous. What a rotted-out, rinky-dink state of affairs, makes you sick.

ZoyzaSorris

Imagine looking at this whole situation and saying 'law is fine, nothing to see here, if you are innocent then nothing to fear'. Very odd and a bit worrying.

Paul Calf

Quote from: chveik on July 31, 2021, 08:07:58 PM
putting women that were (allegedly) abused in danger is wrong. going against a court injonction is context-based.

putting a sick man in prison is wrong too. (sadly we also shouldn't forget that we've had examples of real cunts that tried to get out of jail thanks to dodgy health reasons.)

it's all well and good to say 'there are other agendas at play' but if you don't tell us what are they we won't go far.

back to the drawing board Paul.

I haven't said any of that, but don't let that stop you, you damp fucking fart.

chveik

it's your op, you could have at least made some research.

Jumblegraws

From that Cook article:
QuoteMurray is also the first person to be jailed in Britain for contempt of court in half a century
This might be a nitpick in the scheme of things, but off the top of my head I can think of Tommy Robinson as an example of some who got a prison sentence for contempt of court in recent years. I'm pretty sure there's been other fairly high profile examples in my (thirty-three year) lifetime.

Blumf

Jumblegraws

Maybe, but why is Robinson any less of a citizen journalist than Murray? Cook would be contradicting one of the salient points of that article if he was making that distinction.