Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Jar Jar Binks of TV land. (and film, R.I.P. Deeper In Movies etc)

Started by Brundle-Fly, July 30, 2021, 07:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

I don't mean dislikeable celebs/ personalities or effective screen villains but those characters (usually recurring) that viewers/filmgoers have seemingly found irksome because of their persona or the performance.

ie: Sheriff J.W. Pepper in the James Bond movies, Adric in Doctor Who, Mr. Cheeseman in Dad's Army, Daphne's brother in Frasier, the wives in OFAH... the Great Gazoo in The Flintstones...

Anymore?

Famous Mortimer

I always remember hating Sookie's best mate from "True Blood", but getting annoyed about a long-dead show that isn't really talked about any more seems a bit silly.

chveik

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 30, 2021, 07:52:05 PM
I always remember hating Sookie's best mate from "True Blood", but getting annoyed about a long-dead show that isn't really talked about any more seems a bit silly.

heard they were considering making a reboot of True Blood. weird cunts

Thomas

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 30, 2021, 08:36:14 PM
James Hurley, of course.

I hated James until S03E02, when Shelley declared 'James has always been cool', at which point I wept with love.

Natnar

Brian Pern's girlfriend

Lucy Montgomery doesn't do subtle does she?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 30, 2021, 07:52:05 PM

I liked her in the first season but absolutely despised her towards the end, I remember being
Spoiler alert
overjoyed when after she was shot in the head it looked like they were killing her off, and was really fucked off when they turned her in to a vampire to save her life.
[close]

Adric's been mentioned but I didn't mind him when watching the show as a kid, and Clara was a far, far worse companion and one who ruined Capaldi's first two years far too many times.

Also, I'm pretty sure someone posted this before, but there's a really interesting article about the creation of Scrappy Doo, and why he turned out the way he did: https://www.newsfromme.com/articles-such/scrappy-days/

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Natnar on July 31, 2021, 08:49:36 AM
Brian Pern's girlfriend

Lucy Montgomery doesn't do subtle does she?

I think it works quite well with Brian being so introverted and mysterious, plus she is supposed to be a super-annoying Yoko type character of course.

monkfromhavana

Gary Webster taking over from Dennis Waterman on 'Minder'. It just never sat right, even though the episodes were still watchable. It was perhaps a more subtle tonal shift than some changes, but his character meant that it was that little less believable than Terry. Terry was an ex-con, young-ish and with no prospects, whereas Ray was young, sharp dresser etc. Why would he put up with Arthur's shenanigans?

Also the theme tune changed from being an all-time classic theme to an absolute monstrosity.

JamesTC

jobotic

Never seen the TV series but if Cassidy is half as tedious in Preacher on TV as he is in the comic then him.

Spiteface

Gulftastic

Quote from: Spiteface on July 31, 2021, 11:39:06 PM
Kennedy in the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Never got the Kennedy hate. Willow got to shag a fit lass for a while, and vice versa. Good luck to them.

I'd have put with Violet, but perhaps redhead on redhead HLA might have been too much.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Gurke and Hare

Noodle Lizard

Ewan McGregor's wife in The Long Way Down.

Rude, overbearing and didn't know how to ride a motorcycle.

mothman

Yes, good on him for ditching her and their kids and shacking up with someone half his age.

pigamus

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 03, 2021, 08:48:58 PM
Will Bailey in The West Wing.

Mandy in The West Wing.

People hated Mandy? I thought they just got rid of her because Donna made her pointless?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: NurseNugent on August 03, 2021, 10:37:46 PM
Private Cheeseman in Dad's Army.

Nah.

A marmite character but a lot of fans like the character. Also, Perry said Cheeseman was intended to shake-up the series, which it certainly did.

Personally, after he left, the vacuum left by Beck's death was very apparent, particularly as they tried to fill it by Clive Dunn mugging more and more.

Catalogue Trousers

Rose Tyler and Donna Noble.

Pretty much all of the main cast of Buffy The Vampire Slayer except Giles, Willow and Xander.

Cartoon Head.

Daenerys Targaryen.

I realise that all of these characters have sizeable fan bases, but to me at least each and every one of them is a Jar Jar of TV.

beanheadmcginty