Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:34:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The posters you had on your bedroom wall as a child/teenager

Started by Replies From View, July 30, 2021, 09:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Stade Francais RU15 new prototype shirt 'rejected by masses, civil unrest, threatens a return to May 68, all down to an idiot'...oh no its an idiot, lets ignore them.'

So we do.

dr beat

Quote from: Buelligan on July 30, 2021, 11:34:35 PM

And a lot of motorcycles.
Quote from: dr beat on July 30, 2021, 11:52:43 PM
Stade Francais RU15 new prototype shirt 'rejected by masses, civil unrest, threatens a return to May 68, all down to an idiot'...oh no its an idiot, lets ignore them.'

So we do.

holyzombiejesus

Also had a long thin one of a phone box (?!). At one stage had a huge gatefold of Rise & Fall by Madness that had been displayed in a record shop. Think it was about 6ft by 3ft so it went up in the corner of my room and I could change it round so it showed the inner gatefold instead. Oh yeah, also had a cowboy-style 'Wanted' poster that I bought from Hamleys on a rare trip down to London. It was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen as, get this, it had my own name on it!!!!1! It said 'Wanted: Dead or Alive' and printed on in pen was 'preferably dead!' which I found hilarious, and then my name in western writing. I was so proud of that poster.

Brundle-Fly

Circa 1981? A lot of unpacking to do for teenagers from my generation?

Tony Tony Tony

Always wanted one of a tennis player scratching her arse but could never find one.

Anyone know if such an image was ever available?

famethrowa

How come you were all so cool and edgy with your hip funny posters? All I got was these two 80's shockers:

Jockice

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on July 31, 2021, 05:20:55 AM
Always wanted one of a tennis player scratching her arse but could never find one.

Anyone know if such an image was ever available?

I've got one of a tennis player scratching my arse if you want it.

Jockice

Unlike seemingly most people on here, I didn't have cartoon/comic characters on my walls. With the exception of a Zebedee from the Magic Roundabout which my sister got me when I was about ten (it was a stick-on thing, so ended up on the side of my wardrobe) and a little later a cutting from an early edition of 2000AD of two robots (from what I think was a Star Wars parody strip) doing a Grease dance pose.

Apart from that my wall coverings were made up of posters from Smash Hits (I can still remember exactly where the Kate Bush one was), freebie posters with singles/albums (The Dickies, Orange Juice and The Pogues were all up there at some point. My favourite was the one that came with the Dead Kennedys' debut album but that was for laying out on the bed and studying in depth rather than putting on the wall), and Celtic footballers. Kenny Dalglish is the very first I remember. When he went to Liverpool I was heartbroken.

What about covering your school books with pictures? At one point aged around 16 one of mine had an advert for Fourth Drawer Down by The Associates featuring them in a swimming pool and another had an advert for Alles Ist Gut by DAF. Two topless Teutonic men, And I wondered why people questioned my sexuality. Mind you, this is around the time I expressed surprise on finding out that Jim Kerr had  a girlfriend as I assumed he'd be too busy creating his art to deal with such trivialities.

Keebleman

I had several back pages of The Movie blu-tacked to the wall.  It was a multipart history of cinema and every week the last page would have a famous movie star on one side and a reproduction of a film poster on the other.  Some of the film posters I felt worthy of putting on the wall included Badlands, High Plains Drifter, Paper Moon and Flash Gordon.  Among the movie stars so honoured were Sean Connery, Boris Karloff, Jacqueline Bisset, Jeanette Macdonald and, in prime position right by my pillow cos I couldn't believe how gorgeous she was, Catherine Deneuve. 

Pink Gregory

Two really rubbish posters of Black Sabbath and System of a Down from HMV, got torn to pieces over time; also had a gaudily painted wardrobe that I hung this flag of Ozzy Osbourne hitch hiking to hell up on with blu tack.

Also had a print of Edward Hopper's Night Hawks, to really shit up the theming

Jockice

PS, I had a conversation a couple of days ago with a mate from schooldays in which he described going to friend's place and it was 'completely characterless' because it didn't have anything on the walls. We're in our mid 50s for God's sake. All I have on mine these days are a couple of prints (one in the living room, one in the bedroom) I bought off a local artist after doing an article on him, a couple of sort of abstract flowers bought for me by an aunt, a picture of my first cat done by a mate of mine and a couple of framed pics, on shelves, one a scene from my hometown and the other of my mum and her two sisters-in-law out on the town as young women.

There are other things on the shelves, decorative plates, soft toys, a big vase etc, all bought for me as presents, but quite frankly it wouldn't bother me if they weren't there. I'm more or less totally oblivious to my surroundings. People don't believe it, but it's true.

The Mollusk

Quote from: dr beat on July 30, 2021, 11:19:13 PM
Sorry - for clarification - what exactly are we meaning by 'posters you had on your bedroom wall?

Just checking, thanks.

When you get older you put them in frames.

Jockice

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 31, 2021, 07:32:43 AM
When you get older you put them in frames.

Yes. The mate mentioned in my last post managed to get his friend to add 'character' to his house by buying a framed Smiths poster. For a concert that apparently never happened. He hasn't been round my place for years though, and for that I'm quite grateful. His wife once made a comment about improvements I'd need to make so it would be 'liveable-in.' Er, I live in it. And although it could be a bit tidier and cleaner, it really doesn't bother me at all. As I've said many a time, the sort of place where there are only three items on display, all of which have to be in the same place all the time is my idea of total hell.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 31, 2021, 12:21:05 AM
Circa 1981? A lot of unpacking to do for teenagers from my generation?

I never had a Marilyn poster but I had a great t-shirt with a picture of her on which I lent to a sort-of girlfriend. And never saw it or her again. That was a harsh lesson to learn.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Used to have a Toyah Wilcox poster up, next to a picture of Mark E. Smith, cut out from the NME. A full  page photo of The Flying Lizards, taken from Smash Hits, too.
Also remember that when I was 9, I had a poster of Tony Curtis on me wall, taken from the centre pages of TVTimes. What were all that about?

billiabus cricketeer

As a little'un my friends Mum took us to a funfair and I hooked a duck with skill and expertise to acquire this beauty. When my Dad saw it on my wall that evening, he was horrified by the language and took it down with the promise that "you can have it back tomorrow".

I still remember with absolute clarity how the following day, he sat at the dining table with the poster spread out infront of him and used Mum's best carving knife to cut out the "You Bastards!" part of the poster. Strangely, he was having a hot bowl of soup at the same time and kept putting the knife down between cuts to enjoy another spoonful.

Dr Trouser

Couldn't afford posters so had to use ones in magazines that we borrowed from next door. At one point all I had on the wall was;

Charles and Diana engagement photo - from the Radio Times
Andy Ruffell doing a bunny hop - from BMX bi weekly
Chaka Khan - from Smash Hits

Difficult wanking years they were.

steve98

Diana was an Ok-ish fall back on for wanking when there was nothing else (The see-through dress against the sun was quite good). Koo Stark (Andy's girlfriend) was worth a tug too. I can't imagine anyone utilizing horse-face Anne's image though (But who knows.)

Small Man Big Horse

I went through various stages as a teenager, at one point putting a sod load of 2000AD covers on my wall, and when I was 14 a poster of Sam Fox appeared even though I didn't really fancy her but all my friends did and I wanted to fit in, and why, yes, I am embarrassed by such a thing.

By the time I was 19/20 this is what it looked like:

Neither of those people are in the picture are me I should stress, my 90's haircut was far worse.

BlodwynPig

JaDanketies

I went through a phase of having shit that I'd pilfered from public spaces on my wall. "This toilet is not in use" kinda signage. Or advertisements about shows I'd been to. Pride of place was a "cannabis is still illegal" poster.

This was far tackier than what I had as a young teenager, which was largely bootleg Simpsons and South Park posters, and whatever was in the middle pages of Kerrang!.

I only had one poster with titties on it, ever. It was from Front Magazine and one of the models later appeared on a Reddit AMA - Alex Sim Wise, perhaps? I asked her what she thought about adorning the walls of countless young men across the country, and if it was weird to be ogled in such a way, and she said she never really thought about it.

Can't find any pics

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 31, 2021, 10:32:13 AM
I went through various stages as a teenager, at one point putting a sod load of 2000AD covers on my wall, and when I was 14 a poster of Sam Fox appeared even though I didn't really fancy her but all my friends did and I wanted to fit in, and why, yes, I am embarrassed by such a thing.

By the time I was 19/20 this is what it looked like:

Neither of those people are in the picture are me I should stress, my 90's haircut was far worse.

Wot no Betty Blue?

idunnosomename

i have a big 5G microwave radiation hazard sticker I pulled off a transmitter tower last year on my wall now. it looks cool. will look even more when 2020 becomes retro

The Mollusk

The worst one that I had was a huge poster with the words DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS and in each of the letters there was a different bikini-clad model. I was a 16 year old greebo with greasy dyed black hair and a duster jacket. The only shag-based decision I was making back then was how far into the small hours of the morning I'd stay up trying to get some cyber sex action on Yahoo! Chat.

JaDanketies

Oh wow I managed to find some pictures of my old posters, plus a description of what is in each image (this is what cheap smartphone cameras were like 14 years ago)

Physics open day, room c36 - this way
Macbeth Rearisen - a promo poster for the zombie sequel to Macbeth (seen on-stage at the Edinburgh Fringe '06)
Cannabis is Still Illegal - you will be arrested if...
Get a ticket before you board the tram
Police line tape

Northern Rail - Staff are currently carrying out other services on this station, we apologise for any inconvenience
Quiet please!! Exams in progress
More police tape

Customer information - the lift and escalator are not functioning at this stop
Safety on Board a Boeing 757 - Thomas Cook - please don't remove from plane (it had to go)
Get a ticket before you board the tram (already mentioned)
Some gig tickets
Some coats

And finally, four seat markers from Transpennine Express trains

Correct as of November 2007, when I was 19 years old and at university. I also noted that there were zero posters that I had actually bought.

I think I thought it looked 'industrial'.

Kankurette

Mainly musicians I liked - I had a whole pin board covered in Space stuff. I wasn't allowed to put posters on my wall so I just stuck them on my wardrobe instead, along with gig ticket stubs. I also had some framed pictures, like a painting my auntie did when I was born.

Pink Gregory

A friend had the folded out sleevenote book of a Kylie Minogue album blu tacked to the ceiling