Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:15:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

When did you last face a challenging situation and how did you overcome it?

Started by pancreas, July 31, 2021, 12:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

I recently found myself challenged because my butane lighter stopped igniting, and so I overcame the situation by unscrewing it, realising I didn't understand any of the entrails, and couldn't put it back together anyway, and so I just threw the whole lot away.

What about you

bgmnts

madhair60

I was having a wank at work and after about six minutes my heart was no longer in it and it was getting a bit stifling but I thought about the "sunk cost" and managed to think of an incredibly sexy thing and achieve completion.

greencalx

Pijlstaart

I'm against overcoming challenges, it's just not something I do. Nothing like resting in the shade of a nice obstacle, I can't even open my eyelids, they just flop open when I'm turned upside-down and shaken by rough customers in search of loose change. I feel there's a monastic aspect to it and in time it will reflect well on me.

Twit 2

Kept taking too long to find my lighter in my pockets. Bought two (on advice of a certain friend) to increase the success rate of finding one in my pocket. Result!

Trying to light a joint on a windy clifftop. Used my coat as a shield. Result!

Butchers Blind

I remember once spending ages trying to open a new jar of jam and the lid just wouldn't budge, so in the end I thought, fuck it and threw the whole thing in the bin.

Buelligan

Presented with a plate of a dozen oysters at a large New Years meal.  Slipped the first four into the second four and then piled them in threes with the empty one on top.  Could've wept (and vomited).

I am a longstanding vegetarian and they know this. 

They also gave me a special vegetarian pumpkin soup with lamb shanks in once.  Someone's actual leg bones sticking out of my dinner.  I don't eat with them any more, we just chat, so it was a complete win.

Icehaven

Yesterday in Sainsbury's I waited so long at a self-service checkout for a staff member to come over and confirm my age to buy booze I gave up and went to the trolley ones further up as there's always staff there. Then it turned out the barcode on the cake I was buying could only be scanned once, and as I'd already scanned it at the other checkout they had to take the cake box back to the deli counter and get a new barcode. I have never heard of that being a thing at all and seems totally impractical, so I started to suspect they were actually swapping the cake for a dead rat or something as I was huffing and puffing a bit by this point. I overcame it as the cake wasn't for me anyway, and by going home and drinking the booze.

Buelligan

I imagine they have to put safeguards like the onetime-scan-cake-label into operation to prevent people going home, peeling them off, scanning them, printing up more labels to stick on more valuable cakes and avoid paying the difference.  I'm only glad no one has thought of doing it with items other than cake.

peanutbutter

Screw got stripped and wouldn't come out of a solid walnut table. Didn't have anything to deal with stripped screws so I ordered some on ebay; then instead of leaving it I went insane under the table trying to remove it with the nail remover part of a hammer. Took about 2 hours and nearly had the whole (quite heavy) table collapse onto my ribs a few times, but the screw came out.

2 days later my stripped screw extractor bits arrived. There was absolutely no reason I couldn't have just waited.

Buelligan

Heheh.  I fucking do this and all.  Don't ask me why but was determined to repair a 1950s tiny little Japanese doll.  I placed it gently on the shelf by my desk, having appraised its damage and needs.  Decided firmly to leave it alone until I had the time, tools and materials I knew the job required.  Got home from a long hard shift and ripped into it at 2am.  Then felt like a bad dog, carefully placed all the bits in a lovely box and went to bed, guilty and beaten.  One day I will open that box and deal with my karma.

Kankurette

I've been working to a lot of very tight deadlines recently with mahoosive translation jobs - I've got 38 pages of French doctors' reports to translate for Thursday - and I've dealt with it by just powering my way through them, listening to Spotify (hence the Broadcast thread in Oscillations, they're very calming when I'm stressed, as is Ennio Morricone) and taking walks in between to make sure I get screen breaks. There have been tears and the odd meltdown, but at least I got it done.

holyzombiejesus

My 4 year old son was being an irritating cunt so I shouted at him and got my wife to take him out.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Had left windows down so sitting to leeward where it stayed dry.

Buelligan

Should've packed a rain hat.  Even your mum could tell you that.

Dex Sawash

Paul Calf

Kankurette

Gary brought a dead mouse into the house. After screaming and calling him all sorts of unpleasant names, I whacked the mouse over the head a few times to make sure the little cunt was dead, swept it up into a dustpan while my hands were shaking like mad, dumped its corpse in the bin and finished off a bottle of Southern Comfort.

I love cats but having a mouse/rat phobia fucking sucks when your cat is a mouser. Although at least it was dead, he tried to bring a live one in this morning and no way was I letting him in with a fucking live mouse in his gob.

Sebastian Cobb

My Quad 303 blew a fuse and I don't have a spare so am currently in limbo of 'maybe it's just the fuse' or 'maybe it's proper fucked'.

Have ripped the Cambridge amp out of my office in the meantime.

madhair60

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 07, 2021, 02:09:47 PM
My Quad 303 blew a fuse and I don't have a spare so am currently in limbo of 'maybe it's just the fuse' or 'maybe it's proper fucked'.

Maybelline consider rewrite

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 07, 2021, 02:09:47 PM

Have ripped the Cambridge amp out of my office in the meantime.
Got new fuse, it blew pretty much instantly :(

Buelligan

:(

Wanted to call someone a cunt.  Chose not to[nb]on that occasion[/nb].  Just went off and had a nice bit of toast.