Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

(in)decent employers

Started by pancreas, July 31, 2021, 10:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Labour Party, the party of the workers, the political arm of the Trade Union movement: LIKE A SICK FUCKING JOKE.

Greggs: good? No zero hours, so proper pensions, holiday entitlement etc. seems like it has good gender equality.

Timpsons: very good. praising the govt for its covid response, but: 'Staff, always called "colleagues", get extra days off for birthdays, bereavements, and children's first day at school; the company owns holiday homes for their use, and in a paternalistic touch, it even rewards employees with £100 for giving up smoking or vaping.'

Any more

sevendaughters

in addition that Timpsons offer a particular route into work for recently-released prisoners.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 31, 2021, 11:00:09 AM
in addition that Timpsons offer a particular route into work for recently-released prisoners.

Sorry, sir this job will take a bit longer than anticipated. Just leave your keys with me and I'll get copies delivered back to your address, if you'd be so kind to supply that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Didn't Bumble recently enact unlimited paid leave for employees? Granted, I didn't even get past the headline let alone the small print, so could be bollocks.

kalowski

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 31, 2021, 11:00:09 AM
Yep, and although I can't remember the figures, offenders who work for Timpsons are much less likely to reoffend than other released prisoners.
And the shop workers are allowed to charge in a variable manner, so they can knock a bit off for a customer who is a bit down on their luck, or just short of cash.
I met Mr Timpson (father of a Tory MP, don't forget) and he was inspirational, I have to admit.

Kelvin

Place I work now is brilliant, most impressive employer I've had by a huge distance. Unions, flexitime, has regular open forums with the top brass, encouraged staff to work from home even before covid, has the best training program I've ever known, has supportive managers, and on and on. First time I've ever considered myself staying long term at an organisation. 

Kankurette

Marks and Spencers are utter cunts. My mum worked for them. She had real horror stories. I think they were one of the main reasons she became an alcoholic, and she wasn't the only one on the staff either. They didn't have a union but they had something called the Big Group which was the next best thing, and she was in that and did try to agitate for better working conditions, but I'm glad she quit because they are fucking evil. And unhygienic. People with colds and diarrhoea and all sorts handling food because they'll be penalised if they take time off.

Shit Good Nose

Ignoring the permanently ongoing problems with funding and the fact that pay will never be equal to the equivalent role in the private sector, the public sector in general must rate pretty highly - decent holiday and pension, several unions, since most of them have been using Hay scale or similar since the 70s/80s there's been no gender inequality with pay and no heavy bias to employing men only (as I say every time these two things come up on CaB, I've been working in the public sector nearly all of my working life and those two gender bias problems are completely alien to me - typically more women than men in senior roles in particular).

Much as it pains me to say it because I hate them, but aren't Apple reasonably good employers? (ignoring the probability of child slave labour in China of course...)

Uncle TechTip

Richer Sounds chief Julian Richer retired and just gave the company away to his employees. Even the entry-level workers came away with a grand or two worth of shares.

kalowski

Which reminds me that Games Workshop did so well during lockdown that they gave a bonus (I think a flat £5,000) to every employee.

pancreas

king_tubby

Quote from: kalowski on July 31, 2021, 06:10:59 PM
Which reminds me that Games Workshop did so well during lockdown that they gave a bonus (I think a flat £5,000) to every employee.

Hmm, a few days ago I read a thread on Twitter by an ex-GW rules writer about how bad the pay was, and how toxic the culture was, with various other ex-employees chipping in to confirm.

kalowski

Quote from: king_tubby on August 03, 2021, 03:30:40 PM
Hmm, a few days ago I read a thread on Twitter by an ex-GW rules writer about how bad the pay was, and how toxic the culture was, with various other ex-employees chipping in to confirm.
This is all I know:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-44413297
Although with a son into Warhammer I understand this:
https://newsthump.com/2021/07/28/games-workshop-5000-staff-bonus-turns-out-to-be-one-pot-of-paint-and-half-a-primaris-marine/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Surely any employment disputes there should be resolved via a table top Warhammer battle, with the loser exiting the employment of Games Workshop and actually having to die to reflect they and their fallen comrades were slain in battle.

They don't get the little painted things back either, they are all liquidated.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 31, 2021, 03:25:16 PMMuch as it pains me to say it because I hate them, but aren't Apple reasonably good employers? (ignoring the probability of child slave labour in China of course...)

Yeah, my mate worked at an Apple store when he was at uni and had nothing but good things to say about it. He'd still be there now if the wages were better. They're good for retail, but not as good as he could earn elsewhere with his degree. Plus it's such a good place to work, management turnover is low, so there was little opportunity to progress and make more money.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: king_tubby on August 03, 2021, 03:30:40 PM

Largely male, nerdy hobby with somewhat restrictive buy in cost has a toxic culture, does it?

I live around the corner from the owners of Gregs according to some bloke in our local.  Possibly the worst claim to fame ever.

Fonz

Timpsons get recognition because they are 'key workers'

idunnosomename

I think it's one thing working in a Games Workshop as shop staff and another being an artist who gets screwed over by them. they always used to buy the art outright, the copyright and the physical work, so the artists never got royalties or anything. and those box arts were really the most powerful part of their brand for suckering kids in in the 90s.

Sebastian Cobb

Greggs might be making vegan food these days but the owner raised a convicted bacon.

poo

Greggs is a wonderful company and employer.

Hat FM

Quote from: pancreas on July 31, 2021, 10:52:31 AM
Labour Party, the party of the workers, the political arm of the Trade Union movement: LIKE A SICK FUCKING JOKE.

Greggs: good? No zero hours, so proper pensions, holiday entitlement etc. seems like it has good gender equality.

Timpsons: very good. praising the govt for its covid response, but: 'Staff, always called "colleagues", get extra days off for birthdays, bereavements, and children's first day at school; the company owns holiday homes for their use, and in a paternalistic touch, it even rewards employees with £100 for giving up smoking or vaping.'

Any more

how many times a month are you allowed to give up smoking?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on August 03, 2021, 07:37:05 PM
I live around the corner from the owners of Gregs according to some bloke in our local.  Possibly the worst claim to fame ever.

No way!  You know Gregg?

Sebastian Cobb

Greggs is like the ITV of the pastry world, objectively awful and doesn't pretend otherwise and people inexplicably love it.

Shame it pulled the rug from under a lot of better, independent bakeries.

pancreas

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 04, 2021, 03:57:20 PM
Shame it pulled the rug from under a lot of better, independent bakeries.

Really? I think it's possibly polarised things. Can't help but think the profusion of artisan bakeries doing sourdough and £3+ croissants are a direct reaction against the sordidness of Greggs. And they are doing well.

shiftwork2

More hearteningly, an unpretentious independent and a Greggo coexist side-by-side opposite my newish place of work.  There's a queue outside the independent at lunchtime (despite the prices being around double) and Greggo seems to get by on those not willing to use their lunch break in that way.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pancreas on August 04, 2021, 04:27:22 PM
Really? I think it's possibly polarised things. Can't help but think the profusion of artisan bakeries doing sourdough and £3+ croissants are a direct reaction against the sordidness of Greggs. And they are doing well.

No need to drag artisan bakeries into it. I don't really think they're very good within the space of cheap pastries. Sub corner-shop 'slices', with unpleasant flaky and greasy pastry that are neither hot nor cold, just tepid.

Kankurette

What happened to Sayers? I used to pop in there for a pasty when I worked in an Oxfam shop, it was on the row below. Did it get assimilated by Greggs?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: kalowski on July 31, 2021, 06:10:59 PM

Still not worth it