Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:39:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Are The Funniest Books By Comedians?

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 31, 2021, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

By fuck he appears to have written a lot of books though.

gilbertharding

Fibber in the Heat by Miles Jupp had several passages which made me laugh almost uncontrollably the first time I read it. He has a brilliant turn of phrase.

Utter Shit

YES! Loved that book, it's a fantastic combo of humour, travelogue and cricket nerdiness.

Autopsy Turvey

I realise he's widely hated round here these days, but Woody Allen's Complete Prose is often wildly funny.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on August 01, 2021, 11:55:27 PM

Still haven't read any of his other books but this is a classic. A Mommy Dearest parody painting Bob Elliot as a power-mad pushy showbiz father, but with rebuttal chapters by Bob (a few of which are just him saying "whatever" then telling his own rambling story about going to a fish market or whatever).

Full chapter about a father/son cruise ship booking that goes awry, then the next chapter begins with Bob saying something like "I'm not going to insult your intelligence by pointing out that was just the plot to the Poseidon Adventure"

I've only read "The Guy Under The Sheets" so far but while not up there with the best comedy books I did like it a fair amount, so will give Daddy's Boy a go at some point.

Quote from: pancreas on August 02, 2021, 09:39:30 AM
By fuck he appears to have written a lot of books though.

The fact that Higson has written so many, often for a young audience, has put me off his work but I should try one of his adult novels, and will have to keep an eye out for one in the local charity shops. Or buy one on ebay for £2.03 if worst comes to the worst.

wrec

Alexei Sayle's Thatcher Stole My Trousers - extremely funny but also does a great job of recording the lost era of aimless art college existence and the early days of the Comedy Store. The only fiction of his I've read is Barcelona Plates, and noticed a couple of anecdotes were common to both, but work better in an autobiographical context. Keep meaning to get hold of Stalin Ate My Homework.

Dr Rock

non capisco

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 01, 2021, 06:22:18 PM
I wouldn't bother personally - the live audience of mates in the XFM shows makes them the best way to enjoy them IMO, even if the book/audiobook versions are more polished. Having said that, I can't remember if the book has any anecdotes that weren't on the radio. And the audiobook is still good, not least because Acaster is audibly amused by the stories as he tells them.

"Classic Alistair!"

Fucking love Acaster. Turns out he lives up the road from me, keep seeing him striding about the place with his headphones on and am still wrestling with whether or not to go up to him and say hello in an "oh the joy you have brought me" manner, risking tainting my enjoyment of his output forever in case he clearly thinks "who's this throbber?". Gotta keep those heroes at arm's length, bebbeh! Being Facebook friends with Neil from Chart Music should probably suffice.

turnstyle

I remember really enjoying Paul Merton's spoof biography, My Struggle, back in the day. Holy shit that was 1996 apparently. Was disappointed it wasn't an actual proper autobiography, but we got one of those later.

Thing is, was it good, or did I was I just in the thrall of yer man Merton?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: wrec on August 02, 2021, 04:47:10 PM
Alexei Sayle's Thatcher Stole My Trousers - extremely funny but also does a great job of recording the lost era of aimless art college existence and the early days of the Comedy Store. The only fiction of his I've read is Barcelona Plates, and noticed a couple of anecdotes were common to both, but work better in an autobiographical context. Keep meaning to get hold of Stalin Ate My Homework.

One of my friends went to to art school with him - have been meaning to see what the book says.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 02, 2021, 04:07:20 PM...The fact that Higson has written so many, often for a young audience, has put me off his work but I should try one of his adult novels, and will have to keep an eye out for one in the local charity shops. Or buy one on ebay for £2.03 if worst comes to the worst.

I like his novels a lot - in particular, King of the Ants - but wouldn't say they are a great fit for this thread. All are dark thrillers and IIRC, Higson described them as 'dark and nasty'. There is humour in them, but some puts me in mind of Derek Raymond's Factory series.

The last two Full Whack and Getting Rid of Mr Kitchen are lighter (and slighter) but the former still manages to have five or six murders; I've never been able to look at a Parker ballpoint pen in the same way since reading.

King of the Ants is the one that I would recommend most. Higson also adapted it for a film that Stuart Gordon directed - well worth a watch and George Wendt is astoundingly good in it.

Brundle-Fly

Crying With Laughter, Bob Monkhouse's autobiography. Why this wasn't made into a BBC4 biopic I'll never know. Just utterly brilliant from start to finish. Cannot recommend it enough. What a life.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 02, 2021, 10:27:48 AM
I realise he's widely hated round here these days, but Woody Allen's Complete Prose is often wildly funny.

Not by me. It is a great book.

GMTV

I loved Harry Hill's Flight From Deathrow when it came out. Read it at least twice, but a long time ago so no idea how well its aged. Was a massive Harry Hill fan boy back then so probably fairly biased too.

zomgmouse

Quote from: turnstyle on August 02, 2021, 06:02:58 PM
I remember really enjoying Paul Merton's spoof biography, My Struggle, back in the day. Holy shit that was 1996 apparently. Was disappointed it wasn't an actual proper autobiography, but we got one of those later.

Thing is, was it good, or did I was I just in the thrall of yer man Merton?

I liked it too!

who cares

I liked Herring's Talking Cock, the book of the show; probably if you saw the show it's a bit redundant.

Frankie Boyle's Work! Consume! Die! is good if you like his schtick. I never finished it; it's perhaps too dense with jokes (and nihilism), without enough of a through-thread. Might work better as an audiobook, as it's pretty much his stand-up written down.

The Spitting Image Book- possibly quite dated, but I loved it at the time.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 02, 2021, 06:34:26 PM
Crying With Laughter, Bob Monkhouse's autobiography. Why this wasn't made into a BBC4 biopic I'll never know. Just utterly brilliant from start to finish. Cannot recommend it enough. What a life.

Yes, this is frequently hair-raising. Am I misremembering, or does he basically cop to losing his virginity on the bathroom floor, to a member of his own family?

The most hair-raising bit was when he mentions his family taking their cat on a holiday up north, the cat going missing, then turning up at home a year later, and when they went to the local paper they said 'you'd be amazed how often this happens'. I expect it happens less now, what with motorways.

Magnum Valentino

I didn't see Bridget Christie's A Book For Her mentioned but it's right at the top of the funniest books I've ever read. Got the audio on my last Audible trial but haven't listen to it yet but can vouch for the print edition wholeheartedly.

I hear that Peter Kay's first biography is brilliant but you have to stop at that one. Anyone confirm this?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 03, 2021, 11:02:15 AM
I didn't see Bridget Christie's A Book For Her mentioned but it's right at the top of the funniest books I've ever read. Got the audio on my last Audible trial but haven't listen to it yet but can vouch for the print edition wholeheartedly.

I missed it from the OP stupidly, but then later said:

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 31, 2021, 01:56:37 PMI should have mentioned Bridget Christie's A Book For Her in the opening post as I loved that, it's full of great stories along with some fascinating insights in to her career and how female comedians are treated by the industry.

Tony Yeboah

Bipolar Comedian by Harriet Dyer. She's had an eventful life, and there's plenty of stories about the UK comedy club scene in the last ten years or so.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 03, 2021, 02:33:00 PM
I missed it from the OP stupidly, but then later said:

Do all me Cabbin on my phone these days and miss so much stuff. Soz SMBH.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 03, 2021, 03:33:26 PM
Do all me Cabbin on my phone these days and miss so much stuff. Soz SMBH.

Ah, no need to apologise, just wanted you to know that you weren't alone in liking it!

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on August 03, 2021, 02:41:56 PM
Bipolar Comedian by Harriet Dyer. She's had an eventful life, and there's plenty of stories about the UK comedy club scene in the last ten years or so.

Thanks for the recommendation, it's a bit pricey right now (and I am nothing if not a cheap bastard) but I've put it on my Amazon Wish List and will buy it when it comes down in price a bit.

Pink Gregory

Does David Sedaris count as a comedian?

Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy remains the only book I've finished in one sitting.  You'd think I'd be able to recall things from it, but...no.

Tomsidg

Tim Key - He Used Thought As A Wife

About the first lockdown. Loved the chats with Kitson. One of my favourite books for a while.

Quote from: Tomsidg on August 03, 2021, 09:27:17 PM
Tim Key - He Used Thought As A Wife

About the first lockdown. Loved the chats with Kitson. One of my favourite books for a while.

Just came here to post that one. It's beautifully designed and presented too.

who cares

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on August 03, 2021, 02:41:56 PM

I love Harriet Dyer, definitely getting that one :)

Bahamadia

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on August 01, 2021, 11:55:27 PM

Still haven't read any of his other books but this is a classic. A Mommy Dearest parody painting Bob Elliot as a power-mad pushy showbiz father, but with rebuttal chapters by Bob (a few of which are just him saying "whatever" then telling his own rambling story about going to a fish market or whatever).

Full chapter about a father/son cruise ship booking that goes awry, then the next chapter begins with Bob saying something like "I'm not going to insult your intelligence by pointing out that was just the plot to the Poseidon Adventure"

Thanks for the recommendation!! Found a copy yesterday and read it all while on a break from study. It was very funny and weird.

Bahamadia

I remember when I was a kid enjoying Memoirs of a Mangy Lover by Groucho Marx. Similar to Woody Allen's Prose there are some unpleasant aspects, such as the 'tale' that (warning sexual assault)
Spoiler alert
a woman who only fancied Chico was tricked into having sex with all Marx brothers by them all sharing the same stripey shirt and her not noticing in the dark, so just Boat That Rocked rape hijinks
[close]
But with that caveat, I remember it having some great lines. I also enjoy The Groucho Letters which is a great compendium of letters both to and from Groucho.

I enjoyed Acaster's Classic Scrapes, but like others above I enjoyed Youtube clips of him on the XFM shows sharing the scrapes, as the audience really added to the energy of the story.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Bahamadia on August 04, 2021, 04:23:59 AM
I remember when I was a kid enjoying Memoirs of a Mangy Lover by Groucho Marx. Similar to Woody Allen's Prose there are some unpleasant aspects, such as the 'tale' that (warning sexual assault)
Spoiler alert
a woman who only fancied Chico was tricked into having sex with all Marx brothers by them all sharing the same stripey shirt and her not noticing in the dark, so just Boat That Rocked rape hijinks
[close]
But with that caveat, I remember it having some great lines. I also enjoy The Groucho Letters which is a great compendium of letters both to and from Groucho...

I too read that when quite young and would take the stores with a pinch of salt. Later on, read accounts of a few that were quite different to what was in the book (although that doesn't necessarily mean that it's wrong). Also, in the Stefan Kanfer biography of Groucho, he claims that some of Groucho wrote were written with other people - Memoirs of a... was one but can't remember the full details as it was a while ago.  I did find some of Kanfer's assertions or interpretations rather quite questionable and it did feel that at times, if he had to think the worst about Groucho or give him the benefit of the doubt, he would go with the former. Don't know if you've read it, but it's still a good read although the end is very depressing.

Have you read Harpo Speaks? Absolutely lovely and very very funny.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 04, 2021, 09:22:52 AM
Have you read Harpo Speaks? Absolutely lovely and very very funny.
Did you meet him at a charity do?