Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:35:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This is the Altin Gun thread

Started by badaids, August 01, 2021, 12:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

No thread on this amazing Amsterdam based Turkish psych folk group, despite some chat in some of the threads. For the uninitiated you should check out their KEXP live set in Rennes from a few years ago - they are much better live than on record.

They are of course brilliant and I wanted to start this thread because they have a new digital only record out, their second of 2021. Anyone heard it yet?

Secondly, Ben (the guitarist) and Gino (the percussionist), have been replaced in the recent live shows and seem to have disappeared from their publicity shots on social media. Anyone know what has happened and if it's permanent? They replaced their drummer a year ago to the detriment of the group and to lose these two on top will be to lose a pretty big part.

BlodwynPig

ha, I just downloaded that new album now after being intrigued by the cover. Will give it a 'spin' soon.

Kankurette

On the subject of psychedelic Middle Eastern music, have you heard of Sexwitch? It's Bat for Lashes teaming up with Toy and doing English-language versions of Iranian, Moroccan and Thai psychedelic rock songs.

badaids

Quote from: Kankurette on August 01, 2021, 12:35:37 PM
On the subject of psychedelic Middle Eastern music, have you heard of Sexwitch? It's Bat for Lashes teaming up with Toy and doing English-language versions of Iranian, Moroccan and Thai psychedelic rock songs.

Thanks for the tip I will have a listen.  Did you have a listen to the Altin Gun KEXP session?

Neomod

I've got a couple of albums and did notice Ben was quite vocal in the interviews even though he's not the only English speaker. Saw that the drummer was different but didn't realise the other two had been replaced.

Oh, according to his insta he left in April.

Quotebenriderrr
Sadly my relationship with Altın Gün has come to an end. Thanks to the fans for all your support and to everyone who made this adventure possible.

The male singer seems to be a charisma free zone.

badaids

Quote from: Neomod on August 01, 2021, 03:49:46 PM
I've got a couple of albums and did notice Ben was quite vocal in the interviews even though he's not the only English speaker. Saw that the drummer was different but didn't realise the other two had been replaced.

Oh, according to his insta he left in April.

The male singer seems to be a charisma free zone.

Oh, so it does seem mortal. What a shame. The bloke singer is a fantastic singer and musician but it is true he's po faced. No you mention it I do t think I've ever heard him say a word or even crack a smile. But he is at the core of what makes the group so good, well me and Merve who I still fancy the pants off. I thought the Ben and the bassist had formed the group so I don't know where this leaves them.

Could it be some disagreement over the direction. They have definitely gone in a flatter more electronic direction with their own tunes rather than the psych folk freak out interpretations of Turkish standards, which I preferred.

Kankurette

Quote from: badaids on August 01, 2021, 12:51:14 PM
Thanks for the tip I will have a listen.  Did you have a listen to the Altin Gun KEXP session?
I'm listening to it now, they're pretty good although not the kind of thing I usually listen to. They look like they've stepped out of a time machine. And yes, the singer is very pretty.

ETA: my favourite song was Yüce Dag Basinda. Very catchy. It's got a video!

badaids

Not Altin Gun, but I Just got the recent Derya Yildrim and Grip Simsek record DOST1.

It's absolutely brilliant. The best album I've heard in about 5 years. A fantastical melding of prog, folk and psych that goes in the direction that I wish Gorky's had maintained before they split. They fill a hole in my musical landscape that I've been missing for years.

Kankurette

If we're doing Turkish band recs, then how about Replikas? I read the book version of Iki Genç Kızın/Two Girls by Perihan Magden and looked it up on Youtube, and fell in love with the theme tune, the awkwardly titled [.]. They're not prog/psych though.