Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Windows is bad in some ways

Started by Zetetic, August 01, 2021, 05:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 05, 2021, 11:07:07 PM
If you're still using the Windows thing for audio work, it'd be worth looking for "ASIO" drivers compatible with your sound card
Been using ASIO4ALL for years across multiple computers, always seems to work alright even with onboard sound:

https://www.asio4all.org/

Wilbur

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 02, 2021, 09:45:57 AM
I clicked 'rollback driver' on my joystick in Device Manager and it completely hosed my Win 10 install.  The best part was having to type in the insanely long bitlocker password[nb]that I don't even remember turning on, is it on by default now?[/nb] every time I wanted to try and repair.  In the end I had to backup all my stuff and reinstall Windows.  I thought we were past shit like this.....

1.    that I don't even remember turning on, is it on by default now?

Dell are the only company who seem to turn on bitlocker by default as far as I've found. Even worse the process to store your key in your Micrpsoft account doesnt always seem to work so it nearly always means wiping the drive.

pigamus

Need a new laptop, but as The Mollusk has pointed out, even new Windows laptops aren't any good unless you spend a fortune. I can probably spend about £400 - you can get a 2015 Macbook Pro or Air for that, which I'm tempted to do. But then I'd be nervous putting all my chips on a 6-year-old computer off eBay...

Zetetic

Quote from: Wilbur on September 15, 2021, 11:37:06 AM
Dell are the only company who seem to turn on bitlocker by default as far as I've found.
Got a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 this morning[nb]With a Ryzen 7, for £500, which seems pretty good? Don't tell me if it's not.[/nb] and that has it enabled.

It does however have a load of self-reinstalling shit, I believe, which I'm trying to sort out.

Cuellar

Has anyone else had trouble with the bullshit 'Microsoft Store'? I can open it and navigate into a program to download but as soon as I do it becomes unresponsive. I can't actually click on anything, can't download anything. Tried all the troubleshooting tips on all the websites, nothing works. Simply trying to download the Grover Podcast program.

Why do we have to deal with this stupid bit of software anyway. Why can't I just go on a website and download a program, like before. Why do they have to mess around with everything.

Wilbur

You can usually fix this and a lot of  Windows problems with a couple of command prompts.

Need to run as administrator. sfc /scannow let that finish  then DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Reboot and try again.

At own risk no responsibility etc etc....

Cuellar

Hey that seems to have worked. Thanks!

Blumf

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/4/22763641/microsoft-windows-11-expired-certificate-snipping-tool-emoji-picker-issues
QuoteMicrosoft has started warning Windows 11 users that certain features in the operating system are failing to load due to an expired certificate. The certificate expired on October 31st, and Microsoft warns that some Windows 11 users aren't able to open apps like the Snipping Tool, touch keyboard, or emoji panel.

A patch is available to fix some of the issues, but it's currently in preview, meaning you have to install it manually from Windows Update. The patch, KB4006746, will fix the touch keyboard, voice typing, emoji panel, and issues with the getting started and tips sections of Windows 11. You'll be able to find this patch by checking for updates in the Windows Update section of Settings in Windows 11.

<golf clap>

Porky

Quote from: georgetaylor on August 02, 2021, 03:37:19 PMWindows as a user interface reached completion with XP, everything added / taken away since then has made it worse.

1) Forward button in file explorer, serves no purpose.
2) Lack of 'up a folder' button, breaking the mental map of the file system.
3) Control panel spread all over the place, just where is the 'allow this device to sleep' setting, it's not attached to the device properties.
4) A text list of programs is perfectly adequate, no need for tiles.
5) Breadcrumbs, not required, nobody asked for that.
6) Hiding the file extensions is a terrible idea, but it's the default.
7) No delete button in file explorer, have to right click, but the right click menu can appear in one of 4 different places so you have to wait for it to appear and then move to the delete icon
8) Disappearing scroll bars, WTF!
9) Update is not an important function, go away.
10) Menus should not animate, open NOW, I'm in a hurry.
11) Folders need a number in the 'size' column, a blank space is not acceptable.
12) intelligent menus that show you 'most used' commands and hide everything else, eventually leading to...
13) The fucking ribbon
14) I don't need a button to 'show desktop', I'm not an idiot that keeps things on the desktop.
15) etc

I use file explorer a lot, and the deliberate limitations based on what presumably they think people do with it can be frustrating. I often open two folder windows so I can copy things here to there, but windows insists on opening the two windows directly on top of each other, hey this is where the last window was opened, that must be where it needs to go, bang, directly on top.

Oh yeah, different windows should be easy to tell which one is active, making everything ever so slightly different shades of grey is a shit idea and you should be fired.
Once Windows Vista replaced XP I defected to LINUX .. still not perfect but at least I do not need to do a ritual dance when I switch the computer on or off.