Author Topic: Windows is bad in some ways  (Read 1478 times)

Re: Windows is bad in some ways
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 11:06:23 AM »
If you’re still using the Windows thing for audio work, it’d be worth looking for “ASIO” drivers compatible with your sound card
Been using ASIO4ALL for years across multiple computers, always seems to work alright even with onboard sound:

https://www.asio4all.org/

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 11:37:06 AM »
I clicked 'rollback driver' on my joystick in Device Manager and it completely hosed my Win 10 install.  The best part was having to type in the insanely long bitlocker password[1] every time I wanted to try and repair.  In the end I had to backup all my stuff and reinstall Windows.  I thought we were past shit like this.....

1.    that I don't even remember turning on, is it on by default now?
 1. that I don't even remember turning on, is it on by default now?

Dell are the only company who seem to turn on bitlocker by default as far as I've found. Even worse the process to store your key in your Micrpsoft account doesnt always seem to work so it nearly always means wiping the drive.

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »
Need a new laptop, but as The Mollusk has pointed out, even new Windows laptops aren’t any good unless you spend a fortune. I can probably spend about £400 - you can get a 2015 Macbook Pro or Air for that, which I’m tempted to do. But then I’d be nervous putting all my chips on a 6-year-old computer off eBay…

Tags: