Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hoarders/ fanboys/ clutter - the phenomenon of having your own personal 'museum'

Started by 23 Daves, February 29, 2004, 11:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

5 quid for The Snot Rap which I can't really afford.  I am an idiot.  The Snot Rap ffs, his worst single!!

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"

Ms_Tentacle, when we moved here, threw out 10 years worth of her Kerrangs without telling me, and then insisted that I threw out all my Empires.

And got really shitty when I refused, point blank, saying "Well I didn't ask you to throw all your fucking mags away! They take up, what 1 square foot of space?"

My brother, who is emigrating to NZ in a month and so really really has to clean out, sold his pretty much complete collection of Empires on Ebay. I don't think he made a forutne and obviously didnt shift the more recent issues, but apparently it was worth his while. I'll ask him how much he got.

bill hicks

Quote from: "lazyhour"
Quote from: "23 Daves"the CDs and vinyl that have disappeared are all dodgy club twelve inches that never took off ... and singles by indie no-hopers such as Rosa Mota and Bandit Queen.  Nobody would buy this sort of nonsense off e-bay, they wouldn't even think to look for it.  Indeed, until yesterday I'd forgotten these bands even existed.  

Ha!  Two days ago I threw in the bin a single by Bandit Queen.  It must be that time of the year, as I've also been going through all my CDs and stuff.  It's both traumatic and satisfying to actually put CDs in the bin, I must say.

But then no-one's likely to want the first 3 singles by Northern Uproar, are they?

You think that's bad. I have those Northern Uproar singles on CD and VINYL! And I fucking hated them. I only got them because James Dean Bradfield of the Manics produced them.

(Interestingly he only had two more stints as producer after this, on Kylie Minogue's Impossible Princess and Tom Jones' Reload.)

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "23 Daves"To be honest, though, one of the main things that prompted the original post was just that the posessions were becoming a burden rather than a joy...
Yes, I know what you mean, and have been wondering this myself.  Should I reevaluate my priorities or something?

NO!

Nobody has replied to my original post and that's upsetting, I have done exactly what it sounds like you're planning to and it's the wrong thing. At any time of your llife you'll have different tastes and something that was previously valuable to you will seem less so at some stages of your life. But it will cycle round again, and then you'll feel like a proper idiot having sold your prized possessions for £8 when they're worth at least £20 to another collector and (more importantly) infinitely more to you.

Ambient Sheep

It's OK Gaz, I don't think there's any danger of me doing that anytime soon!  Even if I did, I'd sell to another maniac like me.  (I did read your post by the way and did nothing but agree with it, but not much point in just typing that!)

It's just...having had to move it all 250 miles and finding stuff you haven't looked at in YEARS does make you think a bit.

There's no way I'd ever sell any of my CDs or vinyl though.  No way.  Not books either.  Old magazines is about as far as I'd go, but even then the old ones are *so* old that they must be getting quite collectable now.

The only other thing is maybe, just maybe one day (but I doubt it), reuse/sell all the Star Trek tapes that I lovingly rushed home to tape every Wednesday and Thursday after work for seven years or more.  Have you any *idea* how much VHS tape the complete works of Trek (Enterprise excluded) takes up?  (Back of an envelope estimate: 150)  Yet now you can get them on DVD for - unlike the outrageously priced official VHS tapes - only £70 per season, with commentaries and extras, vastly better picture quality, and taking up a fraction of the shelf space.  The sense of wasted life that I had when I found out the DVD pricing was immense.  The main catch is, can I bear to lose all those beautiful old BBC2 idents and trailers?  Which I watch *regularly* of course...(sarcasm)...

Lt Plonker

I'm afraid it's computer and video game bits for me. I've got over 10 years worth of computer games magazines stowed away in my mum's cupboard at home - back issues of Total!, Sega Pro, Sega Power, Console XS, two brochures from those Future Entertainment shows and it goes on. It's fucking great fun going back through them. I'm never disposing of them, no matter what my mum says.

My collection still grows, although I can only afford and issue of NGC a month. The PC mags are hideously expensive.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
The only other thing is maybe, just maybe one day (but I doubt it), reuse/sell all the Star Trek tapes that I lovingly rushed home to tape every Wednesday and Thursday after work for seven years or more.  Have you any *idea* how much VHS tape the complete works of Trek (Enterprise excluded) takes up? )
Haha, I'm exactly the same.  I taped all the various treks (except Enterprise - I saw one episode and thought it was poo) plus I collected interviews, bloopers reels and the like, and now I have little interest in them, and they now take up a large amount of cupboard space which I really need.  Taping over them isn't really an option cos I don't watch much TV any more, apart from that I download, and the amount of things I've taped off the tv the last 2 or 3 years have fitted onto one vhs tape.  I'll probably end up selling them for a quid each, or throwing them in the trash.

Neil

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"Taping over them isn't really an option cos I don't watch much TV any more, apart from that I download, and the amount of things I've taped off the tv the last 2 or 3 years have fitted onto one vhs tape. I'll probably end up selling them for a quid each, or throwing them in the trash.

Now that's interesting, I said much the same thing recently.  Going through my old video-tapes makes it glaringly obvious to me that the quality of TV in general has declined substantially as I used to be taping maybe three or four different comedy shows per week.  Nowdays you get more choice, but very little worth keeping.

blue jammer

Quote from: "Neil"5 quid for The Snot Rap which I can't really afford.  I am an idiot.  The Snot Rap ffs, his worst single!!

Heh, is it nostalgia that makes us grab hold of these things, or are you an avid collector of all things Kenny Everett? (I noticed your post in the ebay rants thread)

I bought a signed photo of Zig & Zag off ebay for £1 a few months back, purely for nostalgic reasons.

To all those people who want to transfer Video to DVD, it's a good idea, either that or, if you are on broadband, get hold of emule or bittorrent and search for old episodes of whatever it is you want to archive, as there's possibly someone out there that has already done this, and has shared it online, I got hold of all the Max Headroom Episodes last year, and it really was a joy to watch all those again, and all but one were *almost* DVD quality :-)

My collections of Vinyl, CD and DVD are vast, and it bothers me that I buy too much sometimes, I've still a stack of DVD's to watch that I've bought in the last year! inc some box sets.

I used to spend £400/500 a month on vinyl back in the early 90's and had an excellent collection of between 6/7000 12"s/Albums, including tons of rare stuff. But in 1996 I sold about 500 and half my studio which, was then worth around £25k to get out of debt and buy a house.

It was hard to sell some of my much loved and sought after classics, and to this day I have regrets about a few of them, have even tried to buy them again, but the prices now are silly £200 and upwards for some :(

I did get decent prices however, and had 3 copies of Gabrielle's Dreams (the original promo version which contained a Tracy Chapman sample from Fast Car - which was withdrawn and re-edited to remove it) and sold two of those for £80 each, so it wasn't all bad back then.

I wouldn't advise selling *ANY* of your collection, as I'm sure you'll regret it sometime in the future.

The memory (mine especially) can play tricks on you, I remember doing a mix recently of old classics for another forum and went to pull out a particular track, spending most of the day looking for it, only to remember I'd sold it back in 1997, bum titty.

Neil

Quote from: "blue jammer"
Quote from: "Neil"5 quid for The Snot Rap which I can't really afford.  I am an idiot.  The Snot Rap ffs, his worst single!!

Heh, is it nostalgia that makes us grab hold of these things, or are you an avid collector of all things Kenny Everett? (I noticed your post in the ebay rants thread)

I really dunno, I can't afford to be a real gung-ho collect it all type, but I do like getting the odd bit of stuff like this.  I'm kidding myself that I'll stick it in some kind of a frame and hang it up or something (who wouldn't want Sid Snot and Cupid Stunt on their wall?) but in reality I'll probably just leave it sitting on top of the record player in the kitchen for the next x years.  

QuoteI bought a signed photo of Zig & Zag off ebay for £1 a few months back, purely for nostalgic reasons.

That story you told before about making the Zig and Zag tapes had me in stitches...