Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:51:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Matt Gaymon

Started by touchingcloth, August 02, 2021, 12:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 03, 2021, 06:47:17 PM
It's not that they are unfamiliar with it being an offensive gay slur, they just don't care because they see the way they use it as separate and distinct, not the same word or meaning at all. Which is bollocks, clearly, but that's the most common defense I've heard of it, a "don't try and tell me what my words mean" thing.

I'm a generation younger than Damon, so my "gay" is what I imagine his "faggot" probably was. It's mental that anyone in my generation could have got very far into their twenties at the latest without realising that the word they used to use naïvely was actually quite offensive, so I'd be surprised if Damon's realisation of this hadn't come at some point between 1990 and his daughter's letter. He must have known - I wasn't really mad or incredulous when I started this thread, but the way he's tried to style it out since is a bit bloody brazen.

BeardFaceMan

Like I say, he did know, he just didn't care as he was using it in a different way so he didn't see it as being offensive to gay people, like the word has been divorced enough from its original meaning to mean something entirely different. Which again, is total bollocks.

touchingcloth

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 03, 2021, 06:59:44 PM
Like I say, he did know, he just didn't care as he was using it in a different way so he didn't see it as being offensive to gay people, like the word has been divorced enough from its original meaning to mean something entirely different. Which again, is total bollocks.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, just adding some personal bollocks about why I don't feel like treating him particularly charitably. It feels like a whole different level compared to, say, teaching your great grandparents about casual racism.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah the amazing bit is that it's taken him this long to realise it and that he had to have a child explain it to him. Better late than never, though it is odd he's declared this like he needs to be patted on the back for it. That's what comes from living in a bubble, I suppose.

Goldentony

if you recall the mid 2000s were rife with blokes using comedy routines as opinions, so when Louis CK did a funny look at usage of the world historically in America and out came a routine about being a stubborn shithead tons of men unfortunately realised they had an argument for it in between telling you to check out Opie and Anthony

Shit Good Nose

I still don't understand how or why he thought putting it out there like that was a good idea.  Surely, even inside his celebrity bubble, he must be aware of what happens when something like that is made public on social media, especially Twitter.  Surely.

chveik

he's thick as pigshit (see what he said about metoo)

Butchers Blind

Should've left the cunt on Mars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58069170

"Can I just shock you? I've actually never said the word faggot. Despite that yarn I spun you about my daughter earlier."

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 04, 2021, 10:13:49 AM
I still don't understand how or why he thought putting it out there like that was a good idea.  Surely, even inside his celebrity bubble, he must be aware of what happens when something like that is made public on social media, especially Twitter.  Surely.

You'd think (and hope) that he'd be aware, but after a decade of two of you and your very rich and very famous chums sniffing your own farts inside that bubble, it really does make it hard to see what goes on outside it.

Icehaven

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 04, 2021, 10:13:49 AM

Like with the aforementioned Liam Neeson thing, I think some people genuinely think that explaining how they've stopped saying or doing something clearly offensive shows personal development and growth and reflects well on them, and it doesn't occur to them that the response will be that they shouldn't have been saying/doing it in the first place and it'd be better not to admit to it. When I was in college there was a bloke with abhorrently racist views which emerged during class discussions (it was a politics class) and he refused to accept being called intolerant as he said he considered himself to be very tolerant as he had to share the world with people he found objectionable but didn't openly go around saying so or constantly acting on it. He genuinely thought he was being tolerant by letting a black person sit next to him on the bus.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on August 02, 2021, 03:22:29 PM
What exactly is the history of that word? Is it like poof here? You'd never have used the term poof to have anything to do with being gay it's just being effeminate or weak. Or is it the association with being gay and being weak and gay? No idea.
As far as I'm concerned a fag is a cigarette and a faggot is a sort of meatball.

Really? I can see this for someone in their 80s maybe but surely otherwise you'll know that faggot is a homophobic slur. I'd never even heard of faggot being used to mean anything other than a gay person until this news story and later seeing them in a freezer in Iceland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2698507.stm

Fag I still use out of habit, although I remember even when I was 16 me and my mates would joke about the double meaning, and I was careful not to say "can I bum a fag" too often when I was in America.

I was actually just thinking the other day that Matt Damon is one of the few Hollywood people who hasn't had any negative stuff said about him, guess that's over now...

Dex Sawash

This may be the event that pushes me to finally sort out which one is Marky Mark and which one is Matt Damon. Unless Wahlberg has done something dumb too.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 04, 2021, 11:55:19 AM
This may be the event that pushes me to finally sort out which one is Marky Mark and which one is Matt Damon. Unless Wahlberg has done something dumb too.

Depends if you count doing time for beating a Vietnamese man half to death while shouting racial epithets at him. If you don't, there's always his music career.

Dex Sawash

OK, back in same box they go

bgmnts

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 04, 2021, 11:25:55 AM
Really? I can see this for someone in their 80s maybe but surely otherwise you'll know that faggot is a homophobic slur. I'd never even heard of faggot being used to mean anything other than a gay person until this news story and later seeing them in a freezer in Iceland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2698507.stm

Fag I still use out of habit, although I remember even when I was 16 me and my mates would joke about the double meaning, and I was careful not to say "can I bum a fag" too often when I was in America.

I was actually just thinking the other day that Matt Damon is one of the few Hollywood people who hasn't had any negative stuff said about him, guess that's over now...

I honestly dont think i've ever heard the word to used towards a gay person in my life. Admittedly my frames of reference are limited.

My uncle called me a faggot for years and years, I never took it to mean gay, just that I was being a baby or a weakling.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: bgmnts on August 04, 2021, 12:13:00 PM
I honestly dont think i've ever heard the word to used towards a gay person in my life. Admittedly my frames of reference are limited.

My uncle called me a faggot for years and years, I never took it to mean gay, just that I was being a baby or a weakling.

Yes, because he was comparing you to a gay man while insulting you for being less than a man. That's what it means when you use it to a straight man, that's why it's not a separate insult and why it's still homophobic and offensive.

bgmnts

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 04, 2021, 12:18:15 PM
Yes, because he was comparing you to a gay man while insulting you for being less than a man. That's what it means when you use it to a straight man, that's why it's not a separate insult and why it's still homophobic and offensive.

Yeah that's what I was saying, I just have never heard it used as a straight up slur to a gay man.

I think south park did an episode on the word and what they thought it represented.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: bgmnts on August 04, 2021, 12:19:32 PM
Yeah that's what I was saying, I just have never heard it used as a straight up slur to a gay man.

Not in this country, no. Well, not when I was young, its certainly used by kids now and has been for a while (my niece was using it in the late 90s when she got into nu-metal). The only reason I hate them is because when I went on holiday to Porthcawl as a kid my mum would get faggots and mushy peas and then absolutely destroy the bathroom afterwards, I kept expecting UN peacekeepers to kick down the caravan door and drag her off to the Hague for gassing her own people.

Vitamin C

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 04, 2021, 11:25:55 AMI was actually just thinking the other day that Matt Damon is one of the few Hollywood people who hasn't had any negative stuff said about him, guess that's over now...

Do a search for Matt Damon metoo for previous negative stuff antics.