Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 10, 2024, 10:01:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jongleurs Is Back - And It's Horrible!

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 02, 2021, 04:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Some guy has bought the Jongleurs name / brand and is putting on comedy nights at various clubs, rather than owning new venues. Anyhow, the line up seems pretty horrendous to me:

Admittedly I've not see all of them, and Michael Legge and Kate Lucas are performing and I've liked them in the past, but overall it seems to me to be the kind of comedy night that gives comedy nights a bad name.

Or am I being unfair? Are any of the comedians on the list actually really good and I'm judging them based on my dislike of Jongleurs? I just don't know anymore.

mippy

Blimey, Raymond and Mr Timpkins are still going? I saw them at the Frog and Bucket about two decades ago.

An tSaoi

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: An tSaoi on August 02, 2021, 04:59:26 PM
Mike Cox lol.

I hadn't heard of him so thought I'd check online to see if he was reviewed anywhere, and found this Chortle:

QuoteKG's energy made it difficult for the following act, and Mike Cox seemed rather more pedestrian than he probably is. He proved himself to be an assured comic, with precise wording and a steady hand. There's a little of the Phill Jupitus about him in his phrasing (and probably the Ccockney-ish accent), but his material can let him down: talking about new parents being Facebook bores and the idiocy of the questions Ryanair ask, are clearly pitches at mainstream comedy but discussing such well-worn subjects without an original take won't get him very far.

And the bits in bold have put me off him for life.

Shit Good Nose

Most of those playing Jongleurs when it was...well, Jongleurs.

Jarred Christmas is alright though isn't he?  Must admit I've not seen him for years, but remember him being a regular act at Jesters in Bristol in the late 90s/early 00s.  In fact, come to think of it, the last time I saw him might've been at Jongleurs in Bristol before it just turned into an expensive bar with live "entertainment" (music and cabaret as well as comedy), not long after which it closed.

MarkyMark2000

Jeepers, if ever a brand should have been doing forgotten it is this one, I used to go with a flatmate about 15 years ago and Tim Clark, Rudi Lickwood, Colin Cole etc were dated, sexist homophobic dinosaurs back then so unless they have moved with the times then I can only imagine what a train wreck they must be now. Those line ups are a combination of the tired (Mike Gunn), the terrible (Cerys Nelmes) and the "need to pay a bill" talents (Christmas).

pigamus

Did Mrs and Mrs Orkian really have a Kevin, or am I just naive

Brundle-Fly

Have to say, looking at some of those bills is like picking up a beer sodden comedy flyer for the Custard Club of Chalk Farm circa 1991. Geoff Boyz!  I wonder if he still does his Robocop routine. That picture of John Mann is from nearly thirty years ago.

up_the_hampipe

Jongleurs was known as hack comic paradise, wasn't it? Never seemed to have a good reputation elsewhere in the comedy scene. So, this all seems quite fitting.

Replies From View

Morrison Lard

If Kev Orkian is as funny as his presumably-self-edited wikipedia page, I'm booking a ticket right now.

Quotehis comedy rendition of Elton John's 'I'm Still Standing' has been described as Comedy Gold, and has generated standing ovations

QuotePrince Charles congratulated him and said he was an "absolute genius"

QuotePiers Morgan commented "That is one of the smartest things I've seen"

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 02, 2021, 05:18:49 PM
Most of those playing Jongleurs when it was...well, Jongleurs.

Jarred Christmas is alright though isn't he?  Must admit I've not seen him for years, but remember him being a regular act at Jesters in Bristol in the late 90s/early 00s.  In fact, come to think of it, the last time I saw him might've been at Jongleurs in Bristol before it just turned into an expensive bar with live "entertainment" (music and cabaret as well as comedy), not long after which it closed.

I've only seen Christmas once and that was a good decade ago, but you're right, he was fairly decent when I saw him and much better than the majority of the others.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 02, 2021, 06:27:10 PM
Have to say, looking at some of those bills is like picking up a beer sodden comedy flyer for the Custard Club of Chalk Farm circa 1991. Geoff Boyz!  I wonder if he still does his Robocop routine. That picture of John Mann is from nearly thirty years ago.

I noticed that Paul Tonkinson was looking very young in his picture too and did a quick google search, and I'm pretty sure his was from the early nineties too.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 02, 2021, 06:55:59 PM
Jongleurs was known as hack comic paradise, wasn't it? Never seemed to have a good reputation elsewhere in the comedy scene. So, this all seems quite fitting.

I only ever went once when I had free tickets, it wasn't great by any means but I remember they had a reputation for giving new comics a shot occasionally, and the headliners weren't as grim as those in the opening post.

Jarred Christmas is one of those acts who gets harshly judged for his appearances on shit TV years ago, but is an absolute pro when it comes to a circuit gig like this. I'd put Robs Deering and Rouse in that bracket too. You wouldn't seek them out, but if they're on a mixed bill then you'll end up having a decent night.

I wouldn't say the same about Paul Tonks though. He's always been dog's dirt.

Rudi Lickwood is a name I recognise from ITV's disastrous Apprentice meets X Factor meets Live at the Apollo show Show Me the Funny, which also harmed the careers of the likes of Stu Goldsmith, Tiff Stevenson and Ellie Taylor.

bomb_dog

How are you supposed to say the name of the place anyway? I've been mocked for saying 'Jong-lee-urrs' but it's all it deserves.

Quote from: bomb_dog on August 02, 2021, 09:07:42 PM
How are you supposed to say the name of the place anyway? I've been mocked for saying 'Jong-lee-urrs' but it's all it deserves.

John Glurs.

PlanktonSideburns

bomb_dog

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 02, 2021, 10:34:03 PM
John Glurs.
I'm not sure that's better. Perhaps it's originally supposed to be some sort of faux French pronunciation, 'chaun-glee-yurs' sort of bollocks

Theremin

I know Cerys, she's always seemed like a nice person to me.

typeforty

I only know of her from her 'I'll do anything to be famous' stint co-hosting with Justin Lee Collins on Fubar Radio (the result of a 'find me a co-host' competition) and her 'Why are you here?' contributions to an otherwise enjoyable programme about quiz shows a while back. I'm sure she's delightful as a person, though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Has generated standing ovations" = Everyone was already stood up so it was 'Has generated applause'.

Dr Phil Gammons, spoken to the largest crowd in human history who weren't there to see him