Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:14:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm listening to Lenny Kravitz

Started by kalowski, August 02, 2021, 04:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Unironically.

The first album. It's not rubbish. I saw him in concert circa 1989 (Manchester International 2) and he 1as great fun. I know he's a cock in a myriad of ways, but this first record is great fun.
I bought the second record but dipped out soon after that, and definitely before Are You Gonna Go My Way.

gilbertharding

I can remember when I first ever heard of him - he was on the cover of the NME with Slasher out of Guns and Fuckin' Roses. I think this was before he'd released anything. Definitely before he'd had a hit. I think the thrust of the feature was 'this guy's going to be huge, but don't worry about it.'

April 1990

His best work is the Vanessa Paradis album that he mostly wrote and produced in 1991. It's a shame they didn't work together again, especially because that album's cool girl-group songs like "Be My Baby" and Bacharach-esque pop stuff like "Your Love Has Got a Handle On My Mind" are where his talent really lies, rather than the soul-rock style of his solo career, where he's a always a bit too restrained and polite to quite carry off what he seems to be aiming at.

Brundle-Fly

The first two albums were top! Saw him live in Brighton in '89/90?, fantastic gig.  He was the first 'cool' one who put his head above the parapet to say it's ok to like 'trad rock'.

willbo

speaking of hated music, I thought Creed's debut was a really good hard rock album in the late 90s. I never thought they'd end up one of the most hated bands in the world. I thought it was quite innovative how they mixed grunge with Iron Maiden and Dream Theater ish leasd guitar lines. (or it least that's how it sounded to me).

I can't imagine Nickleback or Staind etc doing a song with this much flair. However annoying the band is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhbR-pz2iw

kalowski

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 02, 2021, 06:20:00 PM
I can remember when I first ever heard of him - he was on the cover of the NME with Slasher out of Guns and Fuckin' Roses. I think this was before he'd released anything. Definitely before he'd had a hit. I think the thrust of the feature was 'this guy's going to be huge, but don't worry about it.'

April 1990

Yer man Slash played on Kravitz's second album.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on August 02, 2021, 09:00:13 PM
His best work is the Vanessa Paradis album that he mostly wrote and produced in 1991. It's a shame they didn't work together again, especially because that album's cool girl-group songs like "Be My Baby" and Bacharach-esque pop stuff like "Your Love Has Got a Handle On My Mind" are where his talent really lies, rather than the soul-rock style of his solo career, where he's a always a bit too restrained and polite to quite carry off what he seems to be aiming at.
I have that album and it's not bad, but almost ruined by the dreadful 'Gotta Have It' stuck on the end of the version I have. To wit:

"But I gotta have it
Watch out for the damage
From New York straight to Paris
I'm talking Lenny Kravitz"

Yes, I mean if VP wrote those lyrics then it would be just a bit embarrassing but maybe comprehensible in a "Ballad of John and Yoko" kind of way, but given that Lenny presumably wrote them, it's just mind-boggling.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on August 02, 2021, 09:00:13 PM

I love that album, don't like any of his own stuff.

Butchers Blind

I remember liking the first album at the time, but apart from the hits playing on the radio, I've not paid any attention to him since.

idunnosomename

Oh Oh MILKY MILKY MILKY WAY®
I WANT TO GET FUCKIN HIGH
I WANT TO EAT THE SUN
YEAH YEAH YEAH (with you)
OH YEAH!!
I want a little Milky Way®
I wanna FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
JUST LIKE A DRAGONFLY

Glebe

Custard

I think he's a bit more liked and respected in the US. Here he's only known for the hits

I've never met anyone who admits to liking him or owning any of his records. See also: Bryan Adams

It Ain't Over Til It's Over is great though, by anyone's standards. Mutya's Real Girl samples it of course, and made another great tune out of it

...different to the Lenny Kravitz you are listening to now...

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 03, 2021, 12:34:01 PM
See also: Bryan Adams

I always put Jamiroquai into this bracket too. Artists who, by my reckoning ought to be living in a Canvey Island prefab, who are - thanks to being big in Brazil, Indonesia, Russia, etc etc are actually richer than the Beatles and ABBA and Duran Duran combined.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 03, 2021, 12:34:01 PM
See also: Bryan Adams

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 03, 2021, 01:50:02 PM
I always put Jamiroquai into this bracket too

Lenny Kravitz, Bryan Adams, Jamiroquai - All ideal answers to the "When a greatest hits will do" thread.

I quite like Kravitz's 'Light Skin Girl From London', largely because I first heard it as part of one of Soulwax's 2 Many DJs mixes, mashed up with Taxman and Beck's Salt In The Wound.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 03, 2021, 01:50:02 PM
I always put Jamiroquai into this bracket too. Artists who, by my reckoning ought to be living in a Canvey Island prefab, who are - thanks to being big in Brazil, Indonesia, Russia, etc etc are actually richer than the Beatles and ABBA and Duran Duran combined.
Bryan Adams, for good or ill, had a fair few huge hits in America. Mind, the royalties from the Robin Hood song alone were probably enough to buy a tropical island of his own.

Pauline Walnuts

I feel sorry for Bryan Adam, people getting him confused with Ryan Adams.

kalowski

Anyway, I'm now listening to the Pixies.

Greg Torso

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 03, 2021, 03:07:37 PM
Lenny Kravitz, Bryan Adams, Jamiroquai - All ideal answers to the "When a greatest hits will do" thread.

Ah now, see, I'd say they were all ideal answers to "owning zero of their shit music" thread.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Greg Torso on August 03, 2021, 06:23:15 PM
Ah now, see, I'd say they were all ideal answers to "owning zero of their shit music" thread.

I'm with you. I get to hear as much of their music as I reckon I could possibly want to, just by listening to Radio 2 from time to time. And if it turns out I'm wrong, and I find myself deficient in that department, well - hey ho! I'll live.

idunnosomename

Dragonflies don't even fly very high. They usually stay close to water where they can hunt and lay their eggs. I mean I've never seen one fly past say a third-storey window, which I think counts as "above the trees".

A more accurate similie for his aviation ambitions would be "just like a bird".

kalowski

Stop bumping this thread! I've stopped listening to it now. I'm back with Isaac Hayes. 11 minutes of The Look of Love.

Vitamin C

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on August 03, 2021, 02:09:18 AM
Yes, I mean if VP wrote those lyrics then it would be just a bit embarrassing but maybe comprehensible in a "Ballad of John and Yoko" kind of way, but given that Lenny presumably wrote them, it's just mind-boggling.

Paradis has co-writing credits on the lyrics on a number of those songs, including that one. I always thought that song was Len being a bit self deprecating if he was responsible for it, but given his ego is as big as his arse that does cloud judgement on it a bit. They were in a relationship at the time.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Vitamin C on August 04, 2021, 03:43:26 PM
Paradis has co-writing credits on the lyrics on a number of those songs, including that one. I always thought that song was Len being a bit self deprecating if he was responsible for it, but given his ego is as big as his arse that does cloud judgement on it a bit. They were in a relationship at the time.
The credits on the version I have has three names (Kravitz, Paradis and some other bod) for the lyrics, which seems staggering given how inane they are. If Ms Paradis was the only credited lyricist, I could pass it off as her not having English as a first language.

I loved it when his trousers split and his willy waggled around in the sunlight.

Quote from: Greg Torso on August 03, 2021, 06:23:15 PM

You're thinking everyone's too cool to state the obvious at times and then, at last.

Although the strange ownership concept is perplexing, especially these days.