Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:51:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vicar sews his lips up in anti-Murdoch protest

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 02, 2021, 05:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I was not expecting to see this in my local paper, but good for the Rev.Hewes

QuoteA VICAR from Oxfordshire has sewn his lips together as part of a protest outside the offices of a global media company owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Reverend Tim Hewes, who lives in Wantage, was photographed in London earlier today holding a sign that read 'Murdoch - the most destructive man in the history of the planet?'.

The 71-year-old was also jailed in March for 14 days for gluing himself to furniture at the City of London Magistrates' Court.

In a statement published by Christian Climate Action, the Christian arm of Extinction Rebellion, he said: "I have sewn up my lips to demonstrate the terrible havoc Rupert Murdoch's actions have reaped upon the world and to make this visible.

"Climate science and truth has been muted, those who suffer are not being heard."

After two hours Rev Hewes ended his protest and removed his stitches.

I wonder how they removed him from the furniture

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19485693.oxfordshire-vicar-sews-lips-shut-protest-rupert-murdoch/

Mr_Simnock

Fambo Number Mive

Can't imagine the pain of sewing your own lips shut. He must be very committed.

It must be quite hard to sew your own lips shut as well.

Buelligan

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 02, 2021, 05:03:45 PM
I was not expecting to see this in my local paper, but good for the Rev.Hewes
QuoteA VICAR from Oxfordshire has sewn his lips together as part of a protest outside the offices of a global media company owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Reverend Tim Hewes, who lives in Wantage, was photographed in London earlier today holding a sign that read 'Murdoch - the most destructive man in the history of the planet?'.

The 71-year-old was also jailed in March for 14 days for gluing himself to furniture at the City of London Magistrates' Court.

In a statement published by Christian Climate Action, the Christian arm of Extinction Rebellion, he said: "I have sewn up my lips to demonstrate the terrible havoc Rupert Murdoch's actions have reaped upon the world and to make this visible.

"Climate science and truth has been muted, those who suffer are not being heard."

After two hours Rev Hewes ended his protest and removed his stitches.
I wonder how they removed him from the furniture

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19485693.oxfordshire-vicar-sews-lips-shut-protest-rupert-murdoch/

And yet, https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/watch-rupert-murdoch-awful-woke-orthodoxy-1118910/

So who's the real victim here?

Replies From View

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 02, 2021, 05:09:48 PM

Maybe he had already made the holes first.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Hmm. I know it's for a noble cause and everything, but sewing your own lips together? Mate?
Just keep him away from the petrol.

Buelligan

That's why we're talking about though.  If a vicar said, hey folks, we need to stop this destruction of our home planet or we'll all die soon, the awful woke orthodox press would just ignore him.

Shit Good Nose

Got me wondering what glue he was using at the Mag court.  If he's willing to literally sew his lips together, then we're not gonna be talking PVA from the local school are we...

AllisonSays

The Mollusk

Only 746 likes on the Twitter post. That in my estimation makes it a failure.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 02, 2021, 05:22:17 PM
Got me wondering what glue he was using at the Mag court.  If he's willing to literally sew his lips together, then we're not gonna be talking PVA from the local school are we...

Thank fuck.  One of the only good vicars.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on August 02, 2021, 07:47:03 PM
Thank fuck.  One of the only good vicars.

Maybe that's why no one cares, cos he hasn't raped any kids.  Or stormed out of Panc's gaff after yet another undercooked chicken. (EDIT - didn't see AllisonSays'post)

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If he glued himself to furniture they could have just taken off his shirt and trousers and hauled him away. Unless he did it naked.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 02, 2021, 08:03:35 PM
If he glued himself to furniture they could have just taken off his shirt and trousers and hauled him away. Unless he did it naked.

If he sewed his own lips shut (using REALLY thick thread by the looks of it), then he DEFINITELY glued his skin.  Probably with araldite rapid or something.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 02, 2021, 05:22:17 PM
No More Nails. There a crucifixion joke to be made there, but I'm too tired to work out the details.

steve98

I think it's do-able. I'm sitting here making a few tentative prods at my upper-lip with a cocktail stick, and it's not that bad.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: steve98 on August 02, 2021, 08:18:30 PM
I think it's do-able. I'm sitting here making a few tentative prods at my upper-lip with a cocktail stick, and it's not that bad.

Mate...a few tentative prods is lacking conviction.  We can all say we've considered cutting the brake cables on Boris' jalopy...

Rev+

In a statement published by Christian Climate Action, the Christian arm of Extinction Rebellion, he said:

Said?

Quote from: steve98 on August 02, 2021, 08:18:30 PM

Would you have to use a curved needle?  If it was a straight one, you could do the stitch going inwards, but what about coming out again?

steve98

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 02, 2021, 08:45:43 PM
Would you have to use a curved needle?  If it was a straight one, you could do the stitch going inwards, but what about coming out again?

No. Lips are pliable, you can pout them and bend them to whatever shape suits.

rack and peanut

He's a priest, maybe he's become anascetic.

Quote from: steve98 on August 02, 2021, 08:51:32 PM
No. Lips are pliable, you can pout them and bend them to whatever shape suits.

now you mention it, I can quite see that's possible. One article said he used to be a dentist - wonder if a bit of local anesthetic was used?

fair play to him though, that's real commitment to a cause

thenoise

Especially grim as he's made a bit of a botch of it. When Pyotr Pavlensky did it it looks very neat and tidy, and healed very nicely. Mind you, he did end up nailing his bollocks to the pavement and slicing his own ear off.

Shit Good Nose

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Next he should sew his arsehole shut to protest third world famine.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 02, 2021, 08:28:32 PM
Mate...a few tentative prods is lacking conviction.  We can all say we've considered cutting the brake cables on Boris' jalopy...

NANNY STATE

Replies From View

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 03, 2021, 12:21:20 AM
Next he should sew his arsehole shut to protest third world famine.

Or to protest against Rupert Murdoch's mouth.