Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:47:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel to tell us about online abuse

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 02, 2021, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

it will be about antisemitism in the left and that bloody jermy crobbins

phantom_power

That's not a conspiracy theory. That's just FACT!*

*According to a load of cunts

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: thugler on October 03, 2021, 12:19:09 PM
I don't think structural unemployment is a vague or unprovable thing, it's very real and very well evidenced. Surely you would accept that not including this removes the possibility of someone interpreting this in the way I and most of us would see it as being intended?

Potentially, although I'm not suggesting that structural unemployment is an unprovable phenomenon in toto, just that proving it as a manifestation of racism seems rather more contentious and nebulous (and after all, the chief negative consequence of unemployment, structural or otherwise, is lack of money). However, I don't own his book, so I've only been taking the word of the jewdas website's review (https://www.jewdas.org/aging-liberal-confuses-self-blames-left/). But on twitter, Nick Cohen was directly addressing Ask Sarkar when he tweeted:

Quote from: Nick CohenYou say, as he says you do: "Antisemitism, at this point in history, is primarily experienced as prejudice and hostility towards Jews as Jews, largely without aspects of material dispossession (such as structural unemployment) that manifest in other forms of racism."
https://twitter.com/nickcohen4/status/1357708850359660545?lang=en

This seems to imply that Baddiel did include the parenthetical bit about structural unemployment in the quote in his book. Can anyone confirm? I was only responding to the use of the word 'doctoring', and whether it's a fair description of what he's done in this case.

Kankurette

Ah, Jewdas. Everyone's favourite Good Jews along with Neturei fucking Karta.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Kankurette on October 05, 2021, 04:16:29 PM

I know AT is just shit stirring, but this is a rubbish comparison.

And vaguely on topic, I'm surprised to see that Baddiel defended Corbyn spending Seder with them:

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/980942124362366977

Johnny Yesno

canadagoose

Quote from: Kankurette on October 05, 2021, 04:16:29 PM
If I never have to see another pic of Neturei Karta posted by some dipshit on Twitter saying "See, look, these are the good guys 👍" I'd be very happy. And I'm not even Jewish.

idunnosomename

Incredible.

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1446138362956484617?t=bmFF1sVTr_50TQdUt9Z6TA

There's only ONE mention of antisemitism in this article about Tory Islamophobia! The Guardian are the REAL racists here! *phrrt*

*applause*

MrsWarboysLover

I'm not going to say anything that hasn't been said already but baddiel is:
- not funny (and never has been, literally not even once)
- incredibly stupid (see taskmaster plus every opinion he has) but portrays himself as an intellectual

the man is thick as pigshit and his obsession with antisemitism is either disingenuous and just being used as a political tool by him, or he's genuinely unhinged and it's pathological the point he automatically sees every single event, idea and person through the lens of "is there any antisemitism here?"

I almost think he must really believe all his garbage, because if he's using this antisemitism stuff cynically for self promotion or political reasons it would be showing some form of intelligence (albeit of a low and cunning kind.)

Cold Meat Platter

I was thinking about what 'body of work' Baddiel might have in terms of recorded original scripted comedy content that one might buy or stream: it's none, isn't it?
Have you ever heard someone say anything like 'my David Baddiel collection'?

petril

it's strangely comforting watching David Baddiel resolve into something Professor FJ Lewis would say on History Today

olliebean

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on October 09, 2021, 10:46:43 PM
I was thinking about what 'body of work' Baddiel might have in terms of recorded original scripted comedy content that one might buy or stream: it's none, isn't it?

Do audiobooks count? Other than that, his 2007 stand-up show is available on Audible, and there's some Newman and Baddiel stuff, but nothing recent.

phantom_power

I think the Mary Whitehouse Experience is on BBC Sounds but it is embarrassing and unfunny

It is understandable that Anti-Semitism is a subject close to his heart but that doesn't excuse him seeing everything through that lens   

MrsWarboysLover

I have a new hot take on the subject of David Baddiel.
I was wondering why Frank Skinner was so chummy with him.
Frank Skinner is obviously funny - or, you know, even if you don't think he's funny, I think you'd have to be pretty cynical to not be impressed by how quickly he can improvise jokes and wordplay on the fly. Basically, he's talented. And Baddiel has no talent.

So, my theory is this - I've heard Skinner say that he genuinely believes that he himself is the "funniest bloke alive". He wants to be seen as the funny one. So maybe Skinner wants to only associate with hacks to make himself look better?

Anyway, this is more a theory that I WANT to be true than one that I genuinely believe. But at the very least I'm throwing David a bone anyway by writing this up - he can use it in his trolls show or something.

Dr Rock

He dones that film where Omid Djalili found out he was Jewish or something.

fake edit - 11 years ago that was.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on October 09, 2021, 10:46:43 PM

Newman and Baddiel in Pieces was massively popular, and also the live version filmed at Wembley to 12,000 people (which had never been done before by a comedy act). The VHS of it sold a shitload too (I had it although I think taped off telly). They hated each other by that point though. Watched the Fantasy Football stuff but never any of his solo work, whatever it is.

idunnosomename

dont forget his vast bibliography of children's literature. who can forget such classics as "Bumfluff Boy" and "The Bogey-Tron 9000"

El Unicornio, mang

I remember him saying on TFI Friday that Steven Spielberg was going to turn one of his books into a movie. Guess that didn't happen...

olliebean

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 10, 2021, 01:24:04 PM
Newman and Baddiel in Pieces was massively popular, and also the live version filmed at Wembley to 12,000 people (which had never been done before by a comedy act). The VHS of it sold a shitload too (I had it although I think taped off telly). They hated each other by that point though.

And on that I agree with them both.

KennyMonster

Quote from: olliebean on October 10, 2021, 03:32:49 PM
And on that I agree with them both.

I'm a fan of Newman's work from this century, even the TV series that everyone else on here hated.

(although one of his non-fiction books is poorly researched apparently, i haven't brought myself to read it yet).

batwings

Not the afterlife MLK was hoping for, I imagine..

Pink Gregory

fucking hell, no wonder it's all gone to his head.  Elevation of a mediocrity by having the right opinions at the right time.

jobotic

Churnwell is a pisstake account, like Zands.

Funny too.

frajer

Quote from: jobotic on October 11, 2021, 02:24:56 PM
Churnwell is a pisstake account, like Zands.

Funny too.

You know Baddiel would retweet the shit out of that if it was genuine. Maybe with some hilariously dry bon mot like "now I know why blacking up felt so natural."

Seeing as this is the 'slagging off David Baddiel' thread, I personally haven't forgiven him for this:

Yes, this is a real extract from one of his shite David Walliams knockoffs.

idunnosomename

Hahaha oh god. Ok meme aside, how the fuck does he not know what dank means

jobotic

I don't either, but I didn't write it in a book.