Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel to tell us about online abuse

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 02, 2021, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 13, 2021, 10:29:45 AM
I don't know who the person is specifically but jeez that's some weak bait. Try to stop biting please guys.

You're right, sorry everyone.

KennyMonster

Quote from: TerryPickering on October 13, 2021, 06:26:57 AM
I've read the entire thread thanks - some technical limitations seem to prevent me from posting on earlier pages of it ...

"Technical Limitations"

Otherwise known as not being able to travel backwards in time.

Obviously a fault of the forum.

Sort it out Barry Admin.

KennyMonster

Quote from: TerryPickering on October 13, 2021, 07:53:15 AM
I don't, no, and I also have no problem saying that racism, including anti-Semitism, is wrong and people shouldn't be required to find excuses to allow them to challenge it.

But you are doing exactly that Mr Troll.

Baddiel was once again shown to be dismissive of other races (who happen to have darker skin than he does).

An article about Islamophobia was criticised by him in his tweet for not talking enough about AS, because that's all that matters to him.

Famous Mortimer

I've read the entire thread thanks - some technical limitations seem to prevent me from posting on earlier pages of it ...

Jolly good, so you're just pretending to not know anything about him for effect.

A quick tip - next time you're going to troll, ease into it a little first. That first post faux-naivete "just asking questions" shtick isn't as effective as it once was.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: KennyMonster on October 13, 2021, 10:47:02 AM
"Technical Limitations"

Otherwise known as not being able to travel backwards in time.

Obviously a fault of the forum.

Sort it out Barry Admin.

Seconded. I need to go back and kill Baby Hitler.

gilbertharding

Hmmm. Seems thick enough to actually be David Baddiel himself...

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on October 13, 2021, 09:14:19 AM

If only there was a word......

Is this a new right-wing catchphrase? Why so coy?

Are there any examples of anti-Semitism in this thread? Can you show us them? Or have you just picked this one randomly?

That is just a rubbish line of thinking isn't it. If an author objected to their book being sold in Saudi Arabia due to the human rights record, or South Africa in the 1980s there would be no such fuss. It is only the, ironically(?), conflation of Israel and Judaism, which is itself anti-Semitic, that allows this sort of thing to be said without condemnation from some sectors

peanutbutter

She's objecting to using an Israeli publisher though, isn't she? Not explicitly the book being published in Hebrew.

phantom_power

Well yeah, even if the tweet was factually correct it would still be bollocks

Ray Travez

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on October 12, 2021, 11:19:26 PM
There was an episode of cats does countdown where David Baddiel was the dictionary corner guest, and his entire 'funny dictionary corner bit' involved reading out his own tweets, and that was it. There have been some pretty ropey bits on that segment on that show, but his was the first one that made me genuinely angry in it's sheer balls out laziness.

Damn. That certainly supports my theory that he's a pathological narcissist.

...as does everything else he does.

robhug

the amount of times he refers to himself in the 3rd person as 'so-called intellectual David Baddiel' says it all. Its not good enough for him that he says he's an intellectual (which he also does very often) its got to be other people bestowing this accolade upon him to satisfy his ego.

Has anyone heard anyone apart from him calling him an intellectual?

imitationleather

Quote from: robhug on October 14, 2021, 01:04:52 PM
Has anyone heard anyone apart from him calling him an intellectual?

Only when they're being sarcastic.

gilbertharding

Well, he did get a double first from Cambridge, and they don't hand those out with the rations. And depending on where you read it, he either "started" or "did most of" a PhD.

Does that make him an intellectual? Probably not.

It definitely makes him a "so-called intellectual" though.

Autopsy Turvey

"Few people in public life have David Baddiel's intellectual or cultural range", said Sathnam Sanghera

"Baddiel is, of course, a highly intelligent man who ably circumvents the British awkwardness with the concept of the "public intellectual" — better to have a comedian in such a role," said Ian Shuttleworth

"I quickly learned that David has a ferocious intellect and the kind of moral gravity that only a comedian can conceal," said Salley Vickers

SpiderChrist

Might have told this story before but fuck it here goes.

Back in 1991, me and a bunch of my ne'er-do-well chums were drinking a Bank Holiday away in the front bar of a pub in Cambridge. There were about 6 of us and we were the only ones in the front bar, the back bar being the larger and always busier of the two.

In walks The Intellectual David Baddiel with a female companion, and stands at the bar, clearly anticipating some service (not unreasonably, unless you knew the pub - the staff rarely made their way to the front bar to see if anybody needed serving, as the back bar was constantly busy). After standing there for about 5 minutes, and without calling to see if anyone was serving, TIDB and chum decided to leave and walked towards the exit. Just as he opened the door, still within earshot, my mate loudly cried "Hey! Wasn't that Rob Newman?"

Had to be there I guess.

ProvanFan

"He had scurvy, and rickets, and was covered from head to foot in festering sores. All in all he was quite the most ghastly apparation of a man I had ever seen," said Professor F. J. Lewis.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Ray Travez on October 14, 2021, 11:33:48 AM
Damn. That certainly supports my theory that he's a pathological narcissist.

...as does everything else he does.

For reference, it's at 9:43 on this video titled "David Baddiel's FUNNIEST MOMENTS on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown!".

https://youtu.be/aC-VRjGdfAQ

Fuck, I hadn't even remembered him comparing how many retweets they all got. You're definitely bang on about the narcissism.

idunnosomename

the lesson there is actually make a very shallow partisan political statement and you will get a higher engagement that actually saying anything funny.

please RT if you think Boris Johnson is a cockwomble henceforth.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on October 14, 2021, 06:48:21 PM
For reference, it's at 9:43 on this video titled "David Baddiel's FUNNIEST MOMENTS on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown!".

Fuck, I hadn't even remembered him comparing how many retweets they all got. You're definitely bang on about the narcissism.
There are a lot of Taskmaster compilation / highlight videos on Youtube, and the good about them is Baddiel is barely in any, and when he is it's down to him being massively fucking useless.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on October 14, 2021, 06:48:21 PM

David Baddiel holding forth on his favourite topic- the wit and wisdom of David Baddiel

idunnosomename

David Baddiel to tell us about being an atheist 20 years after anyone gives a shit

And blames "the reactionary left" before he's even written it. No doubt something about transgender on the horizon

He twitter is just a publicity machine. His banner, pinned tweet, plugging his cynical children's books (the publishing equivalent of celeb voices in animated films) and the Avalon mates he retweets and interacts with. He's such an incredibly shallow sell-out. No doubt this is anti-Semitic. Yeet!

Jerzy Bondov

What's he fucking banging on about there now. A whole book of that shite, can you imagine

Captain Z

Gibberish. Bloke shouldn't be allowed to write his own shopping list, let alone books.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 14, 2021, 08:39:18 PM
There are a lot of Taskmaster compilation / highlight videos on Youtube, and the good about them is Baddiel is barely in any, and when he is it's down to him being massively fucking useless.

One of my favourite Taskmaster moments is when Ed Gamble is visibly annoyed that he'd been paired with David Baddiel on a task. And I don't even like Ed Gamble, but that was a great moment.

Endicott

Was that the drawing on the backs one? Where The Intellectual David Baddiel just draws whatever nonsense is in his head, paying no attention to Ed's finger on his back. Gamble was apoplectic, it was glorious.