Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:14:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel to tell us about online abuse

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 02, 2021, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Agent: "Have you got another book in you about the left attacking for you being Jewish, David?"
Baddiel: "No, I put all that into the first pamphlet."
Agent: "What about how the political right treat Jewish people?"
Baddiel: "The right? We, I mean they, are a great bunch of lads. I hardly think they'd be intolerant."
Agent: "Well we need something..."
Baddiel: "Oh wait, I'm an atheist!"
KERCHING.

Jerzy Bondov

Hang on, first this prick's Jewish and then he's an atheist, what next, a rasta?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Endicott on October 15, 2021, 02:33:30 PM
Was that the drawing on the backs one? Where The Intellectual David Baddiel just draws whatever nonsense is in his head, paying no attention to Ed's finger on his back. Gamble was apoplectic, it was glorious.

That's the one. Hilarious.

EOLAN

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 15, 2021, 12:02:28 PM
What's he fucking banging on about there now. A whole book of that shite, can you imagine

More like a pamphlet surely.

imitationleather

They should show those images to prisoners about to undergo lethal injection to calm them down and make them look forward to what is about to happen.

MrsWarboysLover

Why is it only bad comedians that end up being children's authors?

phantom_power

That's not true. David O'Doherty has a couple of them, and they are pretty good

shiftwork2

I'm only buying that if it's backed by a whirlwind marketing and PR campaign. I'm in luck!

jobotic

Quote from: phantom_power on October 16, 2021, 08:57:45 AM
That's not true. David O'Doherty has a couple of them, and they are pretty good

Ooh really? What age group?

Bernice

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 15, 2021, 12:01:00 PM
David Baddiel to tell us about being an atheist 20 years after anyone gives a shit

And blames "the reactionary left" before he's even written it. No doubt something about transgender on the horizon

He twitter is just a publicity machine. His banner, pinned tweet, plugging his cynical children's books (the publishing equivalent of celeb voices in animated films) and the Avalon mates he retweets and interacts with. He's such an incredibly shallow sell-out. No doubt this is anti-Semitic. Yeet!

Very indicative of the arrogance of the guy and why it makes him thicker. He likes to think of himself as an intellectual, seemingly based on his time at uni. But it's one thing being 'academically gifted' when you're fed a syllabus and reading list – now as a Famous Comedian and Author he seems to think that any idle thought he has is worthy of elaboration and publication, without further research to back it up and challenge it.

This is how he ends up writing a book about a worthy and sensitive subject and bases it entirely on his own Twitter timeline. Now he's gonna write a book that mashes together nu-atheism and a critique of identity politics (gosh, how novel) based on an idle thought he's had on the shitter, without the humility or the curiosity to discover that this take is not clever, nor new, nor interesting.

idunnosomename

Why do practically all his children's books have a white boy protagonist? Seems extraordinarily lazy these days. Even Dahl managed female leads in the BFG and Matilda. And a fox with no tail.

olliebean

I've never heard of this "demonisation of atheism as being somehow reactionary." Is he making that up to pre-emptively deflect criticism of his book, or basing it just on replies he's got when he's tried to make a point of being an atheist on twitter, or what?

The Guppy

He's probably noticed people calling Ricky Gervais a cunt and thinks it's because Ricky Gervais is an atheist, and not because Ricky Gervais is a cunt.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on October 16, 2021, 08:19:31 AM
Why is it only bad comedians that end up being children's authors?
It seems every comedian and comic actor has written a children's book. A quick survey reveals Ade Edmondson, Lenny Henry, Julian Clary, Jerry Seinfeld, Jay Leno, Chris O'Dowd, Miranda Hart, Rosie Jones, Russell Brand, Whoopi Goldberg, Jim Carrey, BJ Novak, Jimmy Fallon, Danny Wallace, Charlie Higson, Rhys Darby... And Bo Burnham and Tina Fey wrote movies for teens. I'll stop now

imitationleather

What's so baffling about it is that kids can't even read so what's the point?

wrec

Quote from: olliebean on October 16, 2021, 01:14:25 PM
I've never heard of this "demonisation of atheism as being somehow reactionary." Is he making that up to pre-emptively deflect criticism of his book, or basing it just on replies he's got when he's tried to make a point of being an atheist on twitter, or what?

This is his second book discussing how demographics he considers himself part of are oppressed. He's already claimed that antisemitism is worse than other kinds of racism so presumably this new one will explain that atheists are more downtrodden than any religious group, and he'll probably make a few casually Islamophobic statements in the process.

Ideas for future books:
- Comedians get no respect
- People inexplicably hate the English
- Politically homeless centrist blues
- The War Against Intellectuals
- Middle aged white men get less respect than you might think, actually

The "intellectual" thing reminds me of Morrissey, who seems to have always thought of himself as a cut above based on being good at English in school. He didn't go to college to have that moment of realisation when you're surrounded by equally or more intelligent people. Fitting that Baddiel would go straight to the most solipsistic Morrissey lyric to explain his dislike for crime films: "it says nothing to me about my life" (trans: I am uncomfortable when we are not about me).

thenoise

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on October 10, 2021, 11:21:38 AM
I have a new hot take on the subject of David Baddiel.
I was wondering why Frank Skinner was so chummy with him.
Frank Skinner is obviously funny - or, you know, even if you don't think he's funny, I think you'd have to be pretty cynical to not be impressed by how quickly he can improvise jokes and wordplay on the fly. Basically, he's talented. And Baddiel has no talent.

So, my theory is this - I've heard Skinner say that he genuinely believes that he himself is the "funniest bloke alive". He wants to be seen as the funny one. So maybe Skinner wants to only associate with hacks to make himself look better?

Anyway, this is more a theory that I WANT to be true than one that I genuinely believe. But at the very least I'm throwing David a bone anyway by writing this up - he can use it in his trolls show or something.

Well they were flatmates for ages, so I guess Skinner got into the habit of knocking ideas about with him.

And Skinner might be confident/arrogamt about his comic abilities but he's fairly humble about his wider intellectual abilities (which are certainly there). So the dynamic could work as a double act, with someone who wears their (overrated) intellectual credibility on their sleeve.

Sebastian Cobb

this cunt needs to go and take his face for a shite

idunnosomename

• BACKED BY A WHIRLWIND MARKETING AND PR CAMPAIGN

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 16, 2021, 01:33:07 PM
It seems every comedian and comic actor has written a children's book. A quick survey reveals Ade Edmondson, Lenny Henry, Julian Clary, Jerry Seinfeld, Jay Leno, Chris O'Dowd, Miranda Hart, Rosie Jones, Russell Brand, Whoopi Goldberg, Jim Carrey, BJ Novak, Jimmy Fallon, Danny Wallace, Charlie Higson, Rhys Darby... And Bo Burnham and Tina Fey wrote movies for teens. I'll stop now

I've lost track. Does that make them all cunts now?

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 16, 2021, 01:33:07 PM
Oh wow I had no idea about that. For some reason Walliams is the only one I ever seem to see, I guess cos he's churned out a million of them.
I wonder how many of them are one off books though, and how many have tried to make it into a new "career" like Baddiel and Walliams.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Oh dear.

It seems David Baddiel has confused "being an atheist" with "being objectively right about everything, all the time, because I'm not some deluded sheeple who believes in a magical old man who lives in the sky." David, catch up with the rest of us, mate. The online atheist/skeptic community went into decline because they thought not believing in God made them totally objective, which in turn meant that their sexism, racism, homophobia and transphobia was Scientifically Accurate and Proven.

It's been TEN YEARS since Richard Dwakins showed his ass during Elevatorgate. Get with the program.

robhug

dont try and pretend your an intellectual 'cos Dave is a bona fide genuine one, due to this everything he says, does and thinks is infinitely more worthy than any of the shite thoughts rolling around your tiny mind.

wrec

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on October 14, 2021, 04:47:56 PM
"Few people in public life have David Baddiel's intellectual or cultural range", said Sathnam Sanghera

"Baddiel is, of course, a highly intelligent man who ably circumvents the British awkwardness with the concept of the "public intellectual" — better to have a comedian in such a role," said Ian Shuttleworth

"I quickly learned that David has a ferocious intellect and the kind of moral gravity that only a comedian can conceal," said Salley Vickers

Quote from: Public intellectual, David BaddielReally very much did sound just then that Gary Neville said that the crowd at Tottenham had started pooing.

Sebastian Cobb

Britain's leading self-proclaimed intellectual just microwaved his own glasses.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1462042253900365831

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 20, 2021, 02:25:26 PMBritain's leading self-proclaimed intellectual just microwaved his own glasses.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1462042253900365831

I put my glasses in the dishwasher once to clean them, they didn't come out that bad but they were pretty warped.