Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things To Do With An Old iPad

Started by DrGreggles, August 02, 2021, 09:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I got an iPad from work about 5 years ago (for testing of some shit software).
It wasn't really any good, so it went into a drawer and was forgotten about.
Was doing a clear-out recently and found it, checked if it charged up - and it did!
Can't be updated to a newer IOS though, and no apps seem to work on it any more.

So, is using it as a clock my best bet?

katzenjammer

I've got a couple of old iPhones and wondered the same thing.

Tether it or Bluetooth to a speaker and use it for an audio player.
Get some cameras and use it for home security or something.
Donate it to charity

But in the end they just stayed int the drawer

evilcommiedictator

Use it as another screen for videos and youtube if/when you're working from home?

Neomod

In a semi related note what's the cheapest iPad i could run procreate on. It would be the only thing I'd use it for so second hand is fine.

I've no idea about apple stuff but Android is crap for portable art apps.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Neomod on August 04, 2021, 12:22:09 PM
In a semi related note what's the cheapest iPad i could run procreate on. It would be the only thing I'd use it for so second hand is fine.

If it runs on IOS 9.3.5 you can have mine.

Neomod

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 04, 2021, 12:57:15 PM
If it runs on IOS 9.3.5 you can have mine.

What's an IOS 9.3.5?

eta. Oh right operating system. Bit too long in the tooth I'm afraid but cheers.

Apparently iOS 11.1 is the oldest it will run on.

MojoJojo

Stick on the wall in the kitchen and use it to display recipes/control smart speaker/show photos of your disgusting relatives.

(mostly fixing the edit bug)

Blumf

Have any hipster gastropubs used them instead of plates?

Consignia

Quote from: Blumf on August 10, 2021, 04:59:43 PM
Have any hipster gastropubs used them instead of plates?

Does the pope shit whilst idly scrolling his iPhone?

Ferris

I have two elderly iPads kicking around that are basically past it, and seems like a tremendous waste to just turn them into plugged-in clocks or whatever.

Sebastian Cobb

I think they'll run kodi if you jailbreak them, if that's any use to anyone.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Neomod on August 04, 2021, 12:22:09 PM

I've no idea about apple stuff but Android is crap for portable art apps.

I think you'd need an iPad Pro for Procreate, otherwise you get a bit of lag with the pen (and performance issues).

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sell it. I had an original iPad 1 that I sold on ebay a couple of years ago for seventy quid. Dunno why anyone wanted it, it would barely run anything.

Neomod

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on August 22, 2021, 08:22:22 PM
I think you'd need an iPad Pro for Procreate, otherwise you get a bit of lag with the pen (and performance issues).

Thanks. That's not going to happen.

Malcy

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 22, 2021, 08:28:39 PM
Sell it. I had an original iPad 1 that I sold on ebay a couple of years ago for seventy quid. Dunno why anyone wanted it, it would barely run anything.

My iPad 1 is still going strong. I use it for music, books, pdf's, loads of good games that still run on it plus the 64GB storage is quite good.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 22, 2021, 08:28:39 PM

I think some nerds collect old hardware. I sold a Nintendo 64 to a colleague about 20 years ago, was glad of the 50 squid.

MojoJojo

Realistically, it's more likely someone who doesn't know how poorly/how little software an iPad 1 will run nowadays.

touchingcloth

Stick it on eBay for £250 and let the buyer beware. They couldn't possibly be selling a ten-year-old one for that much, right?

Sebastian Cobb

Thought of this thread the other day when people were bigging up some patch editors for a synth I've had in a cupboard and want to play with, seems it runs on ios' greater than 9.
https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base

I know fuck all about ipads (or this fucking synth tbh).

studpuppet

You could install an app like Alfred or Manything and use it as a home security or baby/pet monitor. A guy I know uses a couple of old iPhones to find out what his cat is up to during the night.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Don't cats go out and hunt things at night, or have sex with other cats?