Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mainstream actors in arty/culty fare

Started by clingfilm portent, August 03, 2021, 03:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm thinking about Scarlett Johansson in Under The Skin.

Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love and Uncut Gems.

Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine. Not exactly NOT mainstream but certainly not Bruce Almighty.

What are some of your examples please

gilbertharding

chveik

Quote from: clingfilm portent on August 03, 2021, 03:32:20 PM
I'm thinking about Scarlett Johansson in Under The Skin.

hardly out of the ordinary for her to play in arty films

non capisco

Jim Davidson in Greenaway's 'A Zed And Two Noughts' is a very odd one.

Waking Life

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 03, 2021, 03:58:04 PM
Peter Falk in Wings of Desire.

That's not particularly niche though, given he's also in a few Cassavetes films / Mikey and Nicky.

Noodle Lizard

Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson have been doing a fair amount of this in recent years (they even did it together!) But by virtue of them being in the films, they sort of get mainstream attention.

I think Johnny Depp used to turn up in some fairly obscure (at least internationally) French films too.

Midas

Robert Pattinson in Good Time, High Life, The Lighthouse, etc.

Joaquin Phoenix has probably been in something worth watching. Her was quite good. You Were Never Really Here was ok.

fuckitpost

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Midas on August 03, 2021, 06:54:34 PM
Joaquin Phoenix has probably been in something worth watching. Her was quite good. You Were Never Really Here was ok.

He also stepped out to play Jesus in a fairly unknown film about Mary Magdalene a year or two ago. A few big actors do a little Jesus every now and then with little fanfare (Ewan McGregor, Christian Bale etc.) I wonder if Jesus is similar to Hamlet - a role any actor would want to claim - but since Jesus films likely wouldn't get major studio funding anymore, they have to take their chances outside of the system. None of those were very good Jesus films by the way.

greenman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 03, 2021, 06:42:44 PM
Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson have been doing a fair amount of this in recent years (they even did it together!) But by virtue of them being in the films, they sort of get mainstream attention.

Kirsten Stewart as well in Assayas's films, Personal Shopper and Clouds of Sils Maria.

Noodle Lizard

Taylor Lautner slated to appear in Béla Tarr's comeback feature. Strange world.

Dusty Substance

Adam Driver doing Jim Jarmusch's Paterson in between Star Wars movies.

mothman

Mel Gibson did a Wim Wenders. Million Dollar Hotel.

Keebleman

Elliot Gould in the mid-70s, when he was close to an A-list star, was cast in a strange but rather good little British sci-fi film called Who?.  Gould's performance was awful though, he's by far the worst thing in it.

While we're on the subject of famous people in obscure films named after interrogative pronouns, Roman Polanski at close to the height of his Hollywood fame went to Italy to make What?, which was little more than a softcore sex flick.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Seconds was pretty far from Rock Hudson's usual rom com fare.

John Ritter in Sling Blade and Bad Santa.

Waking Life

John Malkovich in Being John Malkovich. It's not quite the same thing in that it's arguably a bit of a send up of him, but he was largely mainstream up to that point and I remember thinking it felt like a jump.

And not quite cult, but I always enjoyed Gene Hackman in Tenenbaums, although not sure he was keen on it himself.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Waking Life on August 03, 2021, 06:33:55 PM
That's not particularly niche though, given he's also in a few Cassavetes films / Mikey and Nicky.

Although those were much earlier in his career - and his casting in Wings of Desire works so well because of Falk's mainstream success, as referenced in the film.

pigamus

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Waking Life on August 03, 2021, 10:07:24 PM
John Malkovich in Being John Malkovich. It's not quite the same thing in that it's arguably a bit of a send up of him, but he was largely mainstream up to that point and I remember thinking it felt like a jump....

One Malkovich cameo that I was going to mention is Mike Figgis' Hotel, which also featured David Schwimmer, Salma Hayek, Lucy Liu, Burt Reynolds and a very rare acting outing for Jeremy Harding.

Chedney Honks

Wet Blanket

Robin Williams in World's Greatest Dad.

QuoteJohnny Depp

I'm sure that pre Pirates of the Caribbean Depp was an art house fixture who very rarely made mainstream blockbuster fare. As I heard someone memorably describe it (maybe here) "It used to be I couldn't wait for the latest Johnny Depp film, now I fucking dread it."

greenman

You could argue really its not so rare these days as mid budget cinema is on its knees so someone like Johansson is either doing action blockbusters or arthouse, not much else.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Chedney Honks on August 03, 2021, 09:26:56 PM
Depp in Arizona Dream.

Although people backing the film had high hopes - hence the cast - and were looking for a more mainstream success. One those examples where people are financing an auteur and then are unhappy that they've backed an auteur is making a film.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: greenman on August 03, 2021, 10:33:21 PM
You could argue really its not so rare these days as mid budget cinema is on its knees so someone like Johansson is either doing action blockbusters or arthouse, not much else.

Yeah - also, there's an awareness that appearing in a relatively low-budget film can be a great way to earn plaudits or boost a career in other ways.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: non capisco on August 03, 2021, 04:50:09 PM
Jim Davidson in Greenaway's 'A Zed And Two Noughts' is a very odd one.

We have a winner.

Also, Davidson was in Colour Me Kubrick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WiiXUR3xM

mothman

Jack Palance in Le Mepris.

Also once late at night I happened across a French (language too, obvs) film, set during the Revolution, which happened to feature Harvey Keitel as Thomas Paine. Talking French. Ah, found it - La Nuit de Varennes. Though going by his filmography HK isn't that averse to arty/cult fare...

peanutbutter

Half the people in Harmony Korine films. Setting yourself up for fuck knows what agreeing to do a Malick film too so I'd say anyone in his films counts too.

Nicole Kidman done a bunch, things like Dogville and Birth at the peak of her career at a point where they could've actively harmed her drawing power.

Colin Farrell does decent dabbles, see he's in the new Kogonada film.

Rachel Weisz has very effectively straddled the lines between mainstream and quite arty pretty much her whole career. To the point her filmography looks like she's deliberately trying to keep an equal balance.

pigamus

Cheggers in Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet

greenman

Polansaki's MacBeth I think you mean, he gunged Donalbain.

pigamus