Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Robin Cook and Mo Mowlam dead

Started by aaaaaaaaaargh!, August 06, 2005, 07:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadness

I am pissed my friend , you're right, but poor old cookie.....Very sad!!

Nighty,night.....a new day tomorrow as they say.....

S.

cptwhite

RIP Roob as stated above I felt really sadness when I heard the news driving home last night, I had real respect for the man and he'll be sorely missed.  His family should be proud of his contribution he was a great man.

Bilko

RIP Robin Cock

Was a big shock yesterday, and is unfair he had to go when he had integrity.

Almost Yearly

Outstanding amongst politicians, intelligent, witty and principled,  "satirist"'s shorthand for ugly, RIP.

Does being good take more energy, and therefore kill you quicker, or is it God admitting life is a trial and letting you out early?

That Ben Stack looks like the mountain in Train Spotting. Anyone know?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"That Ben Stack looks like the mountain in Train Spotting. Anyone know?
Yes.  No - the mountain in Trainspotting would be one of the ones in the background of Rannoch Moor.  The station at which they alighted was Rannoch Station, which I've been to twice just for the curiosity of going to a station in the middle of nowhere.  I only found out after the last time that that's where they filmed it.

slim

ITMA

Very, very sad news. One of the few decent ones. Not relevant, but this seems more shocking because I always used to see him at the horse racing; he'd always wander around like a normal racegoer, even when he was foreign secretary.

LadyDay

Sad for his family that he died so young but he seems to have gained a rather undeserved reputation as a left wing government critic. If you check out his voting record he was far more likely to abstain than vote against Blair.

Ambient Sheep

In case anybody else hasn't seen the Sunday papers (or I've missed it earlier in this thread), it seems that the prime cause of death was actually a broken neck - the heart attack caused him to fall off the mountain.  This isn't confirmed yet I believe, but that's what all the papers were saying.

Purple Tentacle

Oh christ, that's disturbingly slapstick.

I'm going to admit it... I stifled a giggle, then felt very guilty about it.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Oh christ, that's disturbingly slapstick.

I'm going to admit it... I stifled a giggle, then felt very guilty about it.
I know.

Sunday Mirror's version here.
QuoteROBIN COOK IS KILLED IN FALL
Aug 7 2005
Ex-Minister died on the hills he loved
By Euan Stretch

FORMER Foreign Secretary Robin Cook died yesterday after collapsing and falling while hill-walking in Scotland.
::
They arrived at Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, at about 3.50pm, where continued efforts were made to save him, but to no avail. It is believed he suffered a heart attack and then fell, breaking his neck.
::

Observer's version here:
QuoteThere were unconfirmed reports last night that he suffered a heart attack and then fell, breaking his neck.
So the shitty thing is, if he hadn't fallen, he might have lived.

Pinball

weirdbeard

Quote from: "Pinball"Was he murdered?

Is there anything anyone could ever say or do that would make you think he wasn't?

Canny

The only good thing he ever did was oppose the Scottish Parliament. Otherwise his politics were crap, his personal life was crap and I am grateful that we won't ever have to put up with his garden gnome nastiness ever again.

jonholyfield

I have no way of saying how much I despise that hateful statement.

I want newspaper articles and evidence.

Otherwise fuck off you troll.

Canny

QuoteI want newspaper articles and evidence.

Oh grow up! He resigned over Iraq without thinking he would be upstaged by George Galloway. A year later he was quietly evicted from his official residence in Carlton Terrace (the poshest appartment in the world by the way and one which no minister has ever actually lived in for over a century except him so he could shag his daft tart wife under a gilded ceiling without paying for it).

He dumped his first and honest wife for a short sharp middle-aged man shagging TV make-over. No wonder he fell off a treacherous mountain in his beloved Scotland after a heart attack.

Harfyyn Teuport

INT. Guinness Headquarters

Receptionist: Hello ? No. No, I'm afraid not. Well, I'm sure it's a very posh apartment, Mister Windsor, but I'm afraid we've already conferred the honour on someone else.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Canny"He dumped his first and honest wife for a short sharp middle-aged man shagging TV make-over.
You mean his secretary, Gaynor Regan, who was the person who identified his body today because she's still with him eight years afterwards?

Sadness

Quote from: "Canny"
QuoteOh grow up! He resigned over Iraq without thinking he would be upstaged by George Galloway. A year later he was quietly evicted from his official residence in Carlton Terrace (the poshest appartment in the world by the way and one which no minister has ever actually lived in for over a century except him so he could shag his daft tart wife under a gilded ceiling without paying for it).

He dumped his first and honest wife for a short sharp middle-aged man shagging TV make-over. No wonder he fell off a treacherous mountain in his beloved Scotland after a heart attack.

Thanks Canny, I respect and like him EVEN MORE after your post, Cheers!!

Canny

Sadness by name - sadness  by nature

Harfyyn Teuport

Nice hyphen work, there - Canny. It works - real well.

Sadness

Quote from: "Canny"Sadness by name - sadness  by nature

I'll let you in on a little secret...................Sadness is not my real name. I thought you were inteligent, bloody peasant.

Purple Tentacle

Yep, I prefer to judge politicians on how they conduct their personal lives too, it saves having to think too hard about how they do their jobs. That we elect them to do.

Plank

Poor Rory Bremner. He loved doing Robin Cook. You could see the look of glee on his face as he slipped his vocal chords around him.

RIP Throbin' :`(

Quote from: "Pinball"What an amazing coincidence that an anti-war politician dies. Like David Kelly, expect a cover-up.

I thought the very same thing.  Then I remembered I've been watching a lot of 24 recently.....

It's very sad to see Robin Cook die.  I was shocked.  too young.

Ambient Sheep

In case anybody else had missed it, it seems that it WAS his heart that killed him, and not the fall after all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4135256.stm

I do think it's shitty of Blair not to interrupt his holiday for the funeral.

TraceyQ

sproggy

Bless her.

Bet she doesn't give up without a darn good fight though.

It's a shame how all the decent one's shuffle off first, like splatts said, it's as though they've passed the test and have been given leave to proceed to the next phase of the experiment.

jonholyfield

That is sad.

Still my experiences of hospices have been mainly positive.

Sometimes I feel we should side with the devil. But better to die good and young(ish) than as a shrivelled old evil woman like Thatcher.

This should possibly be a new thread but I feel that we do not treat death very well in the UK.

I'll try and say why but its tricky. We are sort of lied to. We will die in our sleep. Lie one. We will probably die struggling for breath desparately trying to hang on. I've watched it twice and was totally unprepared. It shocked me. Why are we scared of talking about it? It baffles me it is the one thing that affects us all. But it is still a bit taboo.

Pinball