Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Real life film locations you've been to

Started by Greg Torso, August 04, 2021, 10:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Torso

Which film setting type places have you been? Obviously, there's London where Guy Richie does his shits, but I mean like, interesting or unusual ones.

I visited the custom-built village set for Robert Altman's Popeye (sailor film) in Malta when I was a kid. Thought it was really cool. There was a big mechanical octopus. I've still never seen the film, but it was a notorious flop. At least they make good revenue out of the set now.

Also been to Zhangjiajie in Hunan, which if you've seen James Cameron's Avatar(animated film), you'll recognise is the basis of the planet where those big smurfs live and there's a tree telling them to get all tooled up because the filth is coming and there's all these soldiers doing weird mind sex in a cabin, anyway, beautiful place and we went right up to the top before being hurtled down in a glass elevator that went right through the ground into a basement and made everyone shit themselves.

SteveDave

I cycled a 20 miles to see that bit where Alex kicks the shit out of the droogs in "A Clockwork Orange" in Thamesmead. It was fenced off. Still had a sit down and some cold pizza and then cycled 20 miles home in the drizzle.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Greg Torso on August 04, 2021, 10:17:44 AM
I visited the custom-built village set for Robert Altman's Popeye (sailor film) in Malta when I was a kid. Thought it was really cool. There was a big mechanical octopus. I've still never seen the film, but it was a notorious flop. At least they make good revenue out of the set now.

I'd recommend watching it, I did so a couple of years ago and liked it a lot, it's bloody strange and Williams mumbles his way through a lot of the dialogue but it's never less than very watchable throughout.

Tv rather than film, but the only location I've deliberately visited was while on holiday in Denmark I went to the hospital that Lars Von Trier's Riget / Kingdom was filmed in, even managing to sneak in to the basement when no one was looking as that was where a fair bit of the action took place.

non capisco

An old flame lived right by the road where Basil Fawlty thrashes his car with a branch. For an anonymous suburban street it's extremely recognisable.

Pancake

Got a pic of me looking glum on the Regents Park bench Withnail hocked up a some goz from

Pancake

How could I possibly know what we should do? What should we do?

Jockice

I've been in the Job Centre in Sheffield where that scene in The Full Monty was filmed. In fact someone I vaguely know is in one of the queues. I didn't even get offered a job as a male stripper.

Dex Sawash

I dislike Robin Williams and agree that Popeye is good.

Pancake

I'm from where Kevin Turvey - The Man Behind the Green Door is set/filmed so know all of those places

olliebean

When I was a teenager, I talked my dad into a holiday in North Wales so we could visit Porthmeirion, and I spent a happy day wandering around The Village. I guess this must have been 1984, the summer after Channel 4 showed The Prisoner.

Also, the games shop seen in an episode of Peep Show is just up the road from me.

Dusty Substance

Many years ago I visited the Notting Hill pub known as The Mother Black Cap in Withnail & I. It was then a trendy vodka bar and I'd never seen so many "fancy" vodka cocktails on the menu - Vodka and Mars Bar, anyone? The pub interior was unrecognisable from the film, except for the "I fuck arses" graffiti in the gent's toilet.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've seen a bunch of the places in Bruges that were in In Bruges: The Koningin Astrid Park, with its bandstand and alcoves. I also went up the belltower which, unlike in the film, has a load of bells at the top (and wire mesh over the windows). Another thing you don't see in the film is that the city is a lot more modern looking just outside the areas that were filmed.

I've been to Wells, where Hot Fuzz was filmed. I didn't see a miniature village or a pile of corpses there, though.

famethrowa

Drove up this very road about a month ago (the sign wasn't there):

Visited the Local Hero phone box years ago and called my old dad on the other side of the world. I said "I'm calling from a very great distance!"

bgmnts

I have run up the Rocky steps and have chilled out in front of the lion statues in Ghostbusters.

GoblinAhFuckScary

i live by that alleyway where them shaggers shagged in quadrophenia

Brundle-Fly

One from Jockice's manor. I've visited several locations in Castleton where they filmed a lot of The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue (1974). I wouldn't want to be up there alone after midnight.

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/l/Living-Dead-At-Manchester-Morgue.php

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jockice on August 04, 2021, 11:30:29 AM
I've been in the Job Centre in Sheffield where that scene in The Full Monty was filmed. In fact someone I vaguely know is in one of the queues. I didn't even get offered a job as a male stripper.

That reminds me when I was dating a woman from Sheffield in 2003/4 and when we caught the bus to her place she excitedly pointed out a newsagent that featured in The Fully Monty, but I couldn't summon up the same level of joy.

gilbertharding

My brother lived in a house in the grounds of the house in Kind Hearts and Coronets.

A few weeks ago I went to the nearby picturesque village of West Peckham, and found that they were in the middle of filming the forthcoming reboot of The Darling Buds of May. They'd changed the name of the pub, and resurrected the long-gone post office, and generally turned the clock back 70 years.

Neomod

A Selection

• As college students we got chucked off the set of A View to A Kill at Amberley Chalk Pits. We even tried to look officious with paper, pen and lots of pointing
  • Coney Island. Still had Warriors graffiti up from the film 30 years later
  • Up the Junction, Wish You Were Here and Dance With A Stranger had scenes on the beach of my home town of Worthing

Locations I want to see:

Pennan (Local Hero)
Cumbernauld (Gregory's Girl)
Alan Bird's flat in Shawlands, Glasgow cos I want to buy it. (Comfort and Joy)

Locations I will never get to see.

Abronhill High School (Demolished)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 04, 2021, 01:38:33 PM
A few weeks ago I went to the nearby picturesque village of West Peckham, and found that they were in the middle of filming the forthcoming reboot of The Darling Buds of May.
Had they got Pop Larkin confused with Del Boy?

gilbertharding

What a mistake to make!!

But no, seriously... I think it's Bradley Walsh or something this time. Guessing it will be on ITV at Xmas.

nw83

Regularly eat at Chungking Mansions and go on the mid-levels escalator.
Paid a ridiculous amount for a shot of whiskey at the bar in Lost In Translation (in the same trip, I went to loads of the locations in the Manics' Motorcycle Emptiness video).
I'm pretty sure some rocks I regularly used to walk over at Malham in Yorkshire were in a Harry Potter film or something.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Neomod on August 04, 2021, 01:48:54 PM

Pennan (Local Hero)

It's beautiful. Not all of the locations in the film are in that neck of the woods but the village, excluding the beach, is Pennan (they had to install a red phone box as there were so many pilgrims). The pub exterior is now a Thai restaurant but the pub interior is in Banff, and has a lot of Local Hero memorabilia on the walls. There are also some spectacular coastlines a little further east. My uncle lives in Turriff so I'm planning another visit soon.

Local Hero is probably my favourite film. Absolutely magical.

QuoteI feel I've been here forever.

The Mollusk

Immediately got the music from Gregg Turkington's "On Cinema On Location" bit stuck in my head reading h this thread title.

Neomod

Banff added to the list.

Once at a cèilidh with my girlfriend I found myself doing the Lambeth walk in the centre of a clapping circle of aged Irish matrons. The location was The Eccles Hotel in Glengarriff, County Cork.

It was also used in The Lobster 2015

checkoutgirl

In New York a couple of years ago I went to the Restaurant exterior from Seinfeld and went inside for some pancakes and bacon. Also went to the Friends apartment exterior in Greenwich Village around the same time. Dunno if that counts.

I grew up in Laytown where the opening scenes from The Crying Game were shot, I was an extra on the fairground rides. Dunno if that counts.

SteveDave

I live *quite* close to the house from "Naked"

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 04, 2021, 03:18:21 PM
In New York a couple of years ago I went to the Restaurant exterior from Seinfeld and went inside for some pancakes and bacon.

I too went to that diner and was saddened to discover that their "Pizza Burger" wasn't a burger inside two mini-pizzas. I made that burger when I got home.

Rizla

The 1975 Play for Today Just Another Saturday was partially filmed outside my house-

The bollocks, backhandedly insulting story goes that they shot the orange walk scenes in Leith because Glasgow had been tarted up too much at that point.

I've eaten in Katz's, where Sally shows Harry how she fakes it. Can't think of any more but there must be.

Brundle-Fly