Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Real life film locations you've been to

Started by Greg Torso, August 04, 2021, 10:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Jockice on August 04, 2021, 11:30:29 AM
I've been in the Job Centre in Sheffield where that scene in The Full Monty was filmed. In fact someone I vaguely know is in one of the queues. I didn't even get offered a job as a male stripper.

I lived like two doors down from the paper shop seen briefly at the top of the hill and you could see the side of the house.

NattyDread 2

I live a few miles from Plockton, where the harbour shots from The Wicker Man were filmed.
Also very close to Eilean Donan castle of Highlander fame...and a Bond film I think.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: SteveDave on August 04, 2021, 10:20:49 AM
I cycled a 20 miles to see that bit where Alex kicks the shit out of the droogs in "A Clockwork Orange" in Thamesmead. It was fenced off. Still had a sit down and some cold pizza and then cycled 20 miles home in the drizzle.

They used Brunel University for the Ludovico building exteriors. They never forced us to watch footage of lads in pirate hats kicking the shit out of each other, but I had to watch Body of Evidence at 9am on a Friday morning, which did make me want to snuff it, to blast off forever out of this wicked cruel world.

badaids

I grew up in Walton on Thames where the pythons filmed lots of stuff, so it was weird watching the town centre or the bridge appear in the ministry of funny walks.

Shit Good Nose

A chunk of Radio On was filmed in around where I used to live in Bristol.  The house with the flat roof and curved turret-type frontage is still there and is about a minute's walk from my old house.

kalowski

At the start of A Taste of Honey they do a flit from a house. That was filmed in Raye Street, Stockport, where I lived for the first two years of my life.

sutin

My brother lived near the Laurel & Hardy steps in Los Angeles, that was always amazing to see.

bakabaka

The Bollywood dance fantasy in East is East was filmed in Meanwood Park in Leeds (despite the film being based in Salford). Sadly it was filmed midweek, so I didn't get to see it on my weekly weekend walk with the kids.

Not a film, but the Biederbecke Trilogy has loads of shots looking over Leeds in the 70's, while they were demolishing large parts of the city and rebuilding, so is fascinating to watch and see just how much has changed.

And Van der Valk, the famous detective in Amsterdam, who popped over to Leeds for all the interior shots. There's one episode in a series of nightclubs which are all the same one (the secret cinema in the Merrion Centre) from different angles - the same people dancing in all of them is a bit of a giveaway.

Brundle-Fly

Strictly a TV series but there was a film too.

Jockice

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 04, 2021, 06:08:39 PM
I lived like two doors down from the paper shop seen briefly at the top of the hill and you could see the side of the house.

I may as well do my usual bits here about meeting Paul Barber in the sauna at the Hallam Towers hotel and him telling me he was filming a low-budget film about strippers that he didn't expect to be a success AND about the woman who broke my heart, leading to lots of years of celibacy etc etc being in the crowd at the climax. Although I've seen the film quite a few times and have never been able to spot her.

Johnboy

On holidays in Kerry now.

Today we climbed Dunmore headland on the Dingle peninsula which is was a location for Star Wars the last Jedi

bomb_dog

Universal studios backlot covers tons of films.
Also
Doc from BTTFs house in Los Angeles. Not exciting but recognisable.
The Goonies house in Astoria. The owners must get bored as there was a string of people walking down and up to it when we went.
The Lost Boys Santa Carla - Santa Cruz seafront. Visited out of season. Asked a security guard to let me into the galloping horses and he kindly took my photo.
Ghostbusters Fire station, lions outside the library, Dana's apartment building, Venkman's AC/DC jig / spinning plaza. NYC of course.
Puzzlewood - shitloads of films now including some Star Wars
Gloucester cathedral - when someone asks where I live I can say I live about a mile from parts of Hogwarts.

Visiting film locations from classic films you love is somehow better than going to see something famous that just looks exactly like it does in all the photos you've seen. 'Yep, there it is.'

in student days, lived just around the corner from the street where all of the dogs are squashed in Fish Called Wanda.  Never saw any real dogs killed there.

Visited Lincoln Cathedral when it was all dressed up as Westminster Abbey, with some extra fake bits like Newton's tomb, to be filmed for the Da Vinci Code.  I was surprised to be able to go up right close to the fake bits (the filming hadn't been done at that point), it was really interesting to see how much better they looked on screen than they did in reality.  Got in free too.  Thanks, Dan Brown.

Mr Banlon

The Common, Southall from One Jump Ahead (Grand Junction pub in background, where I used to drink)

Neomod

Couple of Clint Eastwood related ones from holidays.

Alcatraz Island The Enforcer (must be loads of others too including of course The Rock)
Big Sur and Ocean Avenue, Carmel Play Misty for Me

kalowski

Sebastian Cobb

A mate owned and was doing up the church seen in the film Local Hero.

Neomod

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 04, 2021, 09:22:52 PM
A mate owned and was doing up the church seen in the film Local Hero.

I'm guessing the interior as the exterior was a cottage that was set dressed according to Movie-Locations.com.

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/l/Local-Hero.php

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Neomod on August 04, 2021, 09:53:30 PM
I'm guessing the interior as the exterior was a cottage that was set dressed according to Movie-Locations.com.

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/l/Local-Hero.php

Yeah they used a mock-up for the exterior shots but I think it was quite faithful to what the place actually looks like.

This is it, but I think this must've been after he sold it, he started renovations but ended up selling it when he ran out of money, one of the problems was getting running water to it, I think he would've had to have paid to get a pump installed midway between it and wherever the supply was coming from.

https://www.scotsman.com/regions/inverness-highlands-and-islands/local-hero-church-be-turned-family-home-104038

mothman

I've been to Sparta. Nothing like in 300. Rubbish!

I do have a few places saved in Google Maps in case I'm ever in the vicinity. The site of the cemetery in The Good The Bad And The Ugly, in Spain. The Korean lake from Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring. The Scottish valley road where Bond stands looking moody in Skyfall. Places like that...

St_Eddie

The tube station where the posh git was mauled in An American Werewolf in London (Tottenham Court Road)

The bridge where Victor Meldrew carked it in One Foot in the Grave (Shawford)

The skyscraper most well known for being scaled by King Kong in the 70s version of the film of the same title (World Trade Center, New York)

non capisco

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on August 04, 2021, 06:55:31 PM
They used Brunel University for the Ludovico building exteriors. They never forced us to watch footage of lads in pirate hats kicking the shit out of each other, but I had to watch Body of Evidence at 9am on a Friday morning, which did make me want to snuff it, to blast off forever out of this wicked cruel world.

Tanya Krzywinska or Mike Wayne?

Big up the wasted three years doing a film and TV studies course at Brunel massive!

greenman

Unintentionally found one of the locations from Highlander a few years ago, a Corrie on the north west side of Beinn Eighe near Torridon.

Brundle-Fly

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: non capisco on August 05, 2021, 12:21:04 AM
Tanya Krzywinska or Mike Wayne?

Big up the wasted three years doing a film and TV studies course at Brunel massive!

It was Michele Aaron. I had a few modules with Mike Wayne, but never had anything with Tanya, unfortunately. I still have a printout of an article she wrote called 'The Dynamics Of Squirting' though.

Neomod

We stopped off at Castle Stalker on our way to Oban having recognised it from Monty Python and The Holy Grail

Icehaven

My old school in Coventry was used as a location in Nativity! (I haven't seen it so I don't know which bits were used). Coventry Cathedral was in it too but everyone who's ever been to Coventry has been there and it's probably been in other films too (other than German propaganda).

My late uncle lived in Hadfield, otherwise known as Royston Vasey, and we visited him there a few times although I was a small child and it was years before League of Gentlemen was made so I didn't really appreciate it at the time.

I mentioned it in the 'disappointing things that are supposed to be good' thread the other day but I went to Castle Howard a few years back to pretend I was in Brideshead Revisited. I already knew they only used the exteriors in the series so I wasn't bothered about the inside really but it was quite underwhelming, although it was apparently being done up. 

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Neomod on August 05, 2021, 09:17:00 AM
We stopped off at Castle Stalker on our way to Oban having recognised it from Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Doune Castle near Stirling is another one prominently featured in the Holy Grail; apparently different parts feature as multiple castles in the film. About 10 years ago I ended up driving a Canadian Python fan there, and it's quite picturesque. Nice wall.

Edinburgh where I live features in a few films. The steps they run down near the start of Trainspotting (next to the Black Bull pub on Leith Street) inspired nearly Joker-level enthusiasm for running down stairs in the 90s. Also Infinity War in Cockburn Street and Waverly Station. And the Barony Bar which is animated in The Illusionist (2010) and a friend of mine used to live across the road from; a real traditional bar.