Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Real life film locations you've been to

Started by Greg Torso, August 04, 2021, 10:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

I used to live in the house next to the shop that Simon Pegg walks from his flat to at the start of Shaun of the Dead, so I've been in that shop loads. It's also just round the corner from where, as Brundle-Fly says, the opening titles (for only the early series, did they make new ones later on?) of Peep Show were filmed.

They sometimes used to film Juliet Bravo in the park across the road from where I lived at the time.

studpuppet

Quote from: Glebe on August 07, 2021, 04:57:21 PM
Can't view the video, but I'm gonna assume that the Christopher Cazenove clip is from either Hammer House of Horror episode 'Children of the Full Moon'... oh wait, or Mystery and Suspense episode 'In Possession'. Amirite?

As described, it's from the ITV series, Jennie. Try now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbmaeVGs9P8

Glebe

Quote from: studpuppet on August 08, 2021, 02:14:03 PMAs described, it's from the ITV series, Jennie. Try now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbmaeVGs9P8

Ah right. Warren Clarke... was watching the BBC Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night and he pops up in that in a small role. And Patrick Stewart, to my surprize. Sorry, going off topic here.

kalowski

Quote from: Glebe on August 08, 2021, 04:11:21 PM
Ah right. Warren Clarke... was watching the BBC Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy last night and he pops up in that in a small role. And Patrick Stewart, to my surprize. Sorry, going off topic here.
Patrick Stewart was Karla!

Glebe

badaids

I've been in aeroplane, the interiors of which have featured in many films, not least Airplane, Snakes on a Plane, and Airplane 2.

Blinder Data

I've had many a drink on the mezzanine of the pub in which Begbie throws the pint glass over his shoulder in Trainspotting. It was a hipster pizza type place last time I went.

If I were the owners, I would tie a plastic pint glass with a bit of string to the railings and charge tourists a quid a pop to throw it over their shoulder. Make a thing of it, you know what I mean?

Best pub in the world The Laurieston seems to be the go-to choice for Glasgow-made films: Young Adam, Wild Rose, the video of Take Me Out (when Alex Kapranos gets punched), etc.

Pink Gregory

I've been to Wells once or twice.  Doesn't really count.  The Bishop's Palace is nice.

Waking Life

McSorley's Ale House - Once Upon a Time in America
Mulberry Street Bar - Donnie Brasco
Washington Street - Once Upon a Time in America

There's obviously a lot of Hollywood films in fairly prominent places.

Quite a few places in Young Adam, although not The Laurieston Bar. Pennan in A Local Hero. Glencoe whenever that is used in James Bond and Harry Potter. Plockton in the Wicker Man. The village in Braveheart. The Beach in The Beach. The Man With The Golden Gun 'island'. Mount Doom.

I'm sure there are a lot of others that I've either not been aware of or just forgotten. Not sure what is the most iconic though - Coronation Street maybe when I went to Granada Studios.

olliebean

Quote from: badaids on August 08, 2021, 08:23:37 PM
I've been in aeroplane, the interiors of which have featured in many films, not least Airplane, Snakes on a Plane, and Airplane 2.

If that's where we're setting the bar, I've been in loads of buildings, the interiors of which feature in nearly every film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Fr.Bigley

badaids

Quote from: olliebean on August 10, 2021, 12:06:39 PM
If that's where we're setting the bar, I've been in loads of buildings, the interiors of which feature in nearly every film.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 10, 2021, 12:14:26 PM
Yeah, well I'm on Planet Earth.

Reckon you're good?  No word of a lie I've been in space, which famously appeared in Star Wars, Star Trek and Critters.  AND I've stuck my own arm up my arse to the elbow which means I've been in Innerspace as seen in the film Innerspace with Dennis Quaid and that mild yet affable actor who's not as good as Dustin Hoffman.

gilbertharding

I've been to West Malling and I work at the nearby former RAF West Malling, and they were locations for Magical Mystery Tour, but you really can't tell - partly because the former only features as a generic shopping street, and the shop they use has completely changed, and the latter was an airfield then and is a massive housing estate now.

The airfield was also a location for All You Need is Cash.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 10, 2021, 02:54:39 PM
What animal were you playing? You on IMDB?
I played zooplankton #8,008,135, who gets eaten by a blue whale. I prepared for the role by taking up swimming and lying in the path of road sweeper trucks.

Quote from: badaids on August 10, 2021, 03:13:15 PM
that mild yet affable actor who's not as good as Dustin Hoffman.
Meg Ryan?

studpuppet

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 10, 2021, 03:54:16 PM
I've been to West Malling and I work at the nearby former RAF West Malling, and they were locations for Magical Mystery Tour, but you really can't tell - partly because the former only features as a generic shopping street, and the shop they use has completely changed, and the latter was an airfield then and is a massive housing estate now.

The airfield was also a location for All You Need is Cash.

Greg Torso

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on August 04, 2021, 09:10:35 PM
Visited Lincoln Cathedral when it was all dressed up as Westminster Abbey, with some extra fake bits like Newton's tomb, to be filmed for the Da Vinci Code.  I was surprised to be able to go up right close to the fake bits (the filming hadn't been done at that point), it was really interesting to see how much better they looked on screen than they did in reality.  Got in free too.  Thanks, Dan Brown.

Oh yes, forgot about that they filmed The Da Vinci Code there. I was living la vida miserable in Lincoln at that time and made plans to ascend Steep Hill so I could try and meet Audrey Tatou and give her a tape I'd made for her of sad indie songs.

gilbertharding

Quote from: studpuppet on August 10, 2021, 10:46:36 PM

Lovely stuff. My office is in one of the old barrack blocks, which are still there, and on one of the maps you posted! Shame they couldn't keep one or two of the blast walls.

Fr.Bigley

I drink regularly in the interior pubs of a "Touch of Frost" namely the Adelphi, and the Garden gate. I remember them filming as a kid all over our shithole that was Leeds at the time. DENTON, was Leeds FYI.

Head Gardener

Central Milton Keynes railway station as seen in Superman IV

Head Gardener

the building featured in the tea-room scene in Withnail & I (it was actually a chemist in the market square in Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRgwbkdoIcY

Glebe

Quote from: studpuppet on August 07, 2021, 10:30:10 AMSpent my childhood living next-door to Salisbury Hall, which has been used for various things over the years. Here it is as the main location for Hammer House Of Mystery & Suspense episode, The Tennis Court.

So I watched that on Dailymotion the other night. The presence of Peter 'Captain Oveur' Graves doesn't help ameliorate the ludicrousness of the episode, but the scenery around the house is idyllic indeed.

studpuppet

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 11, 2021, 06:40:37 PM

Central Milton Keynes railway station as seen in Superman IV

And also the M25 between junctions 21 and 22!

studpuppet

Quote from: Glebe on August 12, 2021, 07:47:13 PM
So I watched that on Dailymotion the other night. The presence of Peter 'Captain Oveur' Graves doesn't help ameliorate the ludicrousness of the episode, but the scenery around the house is idyllic indeed.

It is indeed ludicrous, even down to the tennis court having no space behind the baselines (filmed in a warehouse a couple of miles away). Isla Blair in a tennis outfit though...

Attila

I had to collect keys for a uni-owned flat from an agency that was located in the same little street as the shop from Black Books. The day I was there, there was someone in the shop bellowing at a customer/fellow worker in a very Bernard Black sort of way.

About two weeks ago I was in the Waterstones in Gower St, which I think stood in for Goliath Books in Black Books. & at some point tomorrow I will be at Kings Cross, but sadly am not in the demographic for anyone looking for bearded men to photograph for their speciality magazines.

On neither book shop occasion did I stride into the shop and announce, 'I'd like to buy a book, please.'