Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Aspects Of Shit Movies

Started by Egyptian Feast, August 04, 2021, 04:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundarrshirt

Quote from: Deliciousbass on August 06, 2021, 01:52:22 AM
Silent Hill might be a great film

https://youtu.be/T5QznpMp2LA?t=881

smash the skip anytime dialogue lasts more than 10 seconds or if sean bean is onscreen and you'll have a good time, A dabba doo time, You'll have a gay old time  !!!

Bloody loved this as a tasteless teen but you can tell they're struggling to fill the time between set pieces in a satisfying way; in the game you have, y'know, gameplay between cut scenes. In film you have uhhhh Sawney Bean mournfully looking at mist and unnecessary lore dumps? Top production design and prosthetics, although chucking in Pyramid Head and the nurses sort of breaks the whole JAMES SUNDERLAND'S FREUDIAN HELLSCAPE thing.

Content: Exorcist III is good

mjwilson

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on August 05, 2021, 02:00:53 PM
A couple of years ago this film came out called Last Christmas, written by Emma Thompson and directed by Paul Feig. It's a Christmas set romcom that features the music of Wham!, and it's not very good. But it takes a turn towards the end that's so so so insane you have to respect it. Emilia Clarke is a messy zany girl who works in a mad Christmas shop and wants to be singer or something, but has been spinning her wheels since some sort of unspecified health crisis, which happened the previous Christmas. She meets Henry Golding who is this hunky guy, and he shows her how to appreciate life or whatever. And then it turns out
Spoiler alert
he's dead. And then it turns out that Clarke had a heart transplant, and the heart came from dead Golding.

The twist is a literal interpretation of the lyrics of the song - "Last Christmas I gave you my heart".

I cannot believe that they made an entire film out of one line taken completely out of context. The fucking balls to do that. It's mental. I love it!
[close]

Not only that, but the twist was widely predicted as soon as the title of the movie was announced.

Brundle-Fly

The egg buttons in Prometheus (2012)

Neomod

Morricone has obviously made a silk purse out of some real sow's ears more than once. His Soundtrack to the mediocre jaws ripoff Orca is spellbinding.

https://youtu.be/LDTFvg1ijZc?t=192

willbo

Always liked the first ten minutes of Judge Dredd 1995. I like the Angel Gang scene too.

phantom_power

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 06, 2021, 12:49:32 PM
The egg buttons in Prometheus (2012)

I would say the first half of Prometheus is pretty great. I have never done such a u-turn over a film during the course of watching it. I spent the first half thinking this was a new sci-fi classic and worthy film to add to the Alien mythology and by the end though it was the worst pile of shit I have ever seen

beanheadmcginty

The "holey rusted metal" gag in Batman Forever.

badaids

Quote from: phantom_power on August 06, 2021, 01:44:42 PM
I would say the first half of Prometheus is pretty great. I have never done such a u-turn over a film during the course of watching it. I spent the first half thinking this was a new sci-fi classic and worthy film to add to the Alien mythology and by the end though it was the worst pile of shit I have ever seen

Yes this.  I think it applies to all the Alien films to an extent, but Prometheus drops off a cliff face once they land on the planet. I went from mouth open amazement at the landscapes and beauty of the cinematography to actually shouting 'FUCK OFF' out loud. Specially when the rock bloke and jurgen klopp change their minds from scarpering to stroking the alien creatures. What were they thinking?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: badaids on August 06, 2021, 01:52:48 PM
Yes this.  I think it applies to all the Alien films to an extent,

What? Even the first two?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The big shootout at the end of Miami Vice was thrilling enough that it temporarily made me forget that the rest of the film had been complete pants.

dissolute ocelot

Gerard Butler action movie Gamer is as mediocre as they get, with action sequences that look like a 20-year-old video game and Butler giving his customary impression of a dim Glaswegian trying to remember where he left his wallet before punching you in the face. But it does feature a superb performance from Michael C Hall as the villain, including a Butler-baiting dance sequence which is like something from another, infinitely better movie.

It's not the only Butler movie to reach amusing levels of insanity: in Olympus Has Fallen when Michelle Yeo and colleagues sing the American national anthem while being tortured. Who can fail to be stirred by that? It's also amusing watching crowds of Americans being mown down by gunfire from a fake plane.

Also, the destruction of the world in Independence Day. A mix of great model-work and old-fashioned running away from very bad things, which still looks more lifelike than most of the acting.

badaids

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 06, 2021, 02:25:18 PM
What? Even the first two?

Yep. I must first be clear and say that I love both movies, easily in my top ten both.  The later acts are great too, but in both films the first acts are much better (and different) from the others, to me anyway.

In Alien the opening scenes and build up to the face hugger scene build excruciating dread before it turns into a haunted house film. The hyper sleep and exploration of the hill are just amazing. I've watched the film dozens of times and with every rewatch it always feels a bit downhill after that, once the viscerality of the Chest buster loses its effect.

Aliens has, I think, one of the most effective ever introductions to the much bigger cast of characters. The way it builds up the marines in just a few scenes and lines of dialogue is a masterpiece of dialogue and characterisation. After that bit you get a feel for the lives of each marine and root for them.  Once again, once on the planetoid it becomes the bug hunt. A brilliant bug hunt that I love (the med bay scene might be my favorite scene in any film ever), but again it feels a bit downhill once the aliens are on the scene.

Just the way I feel about it.  Difference of course is that the Prometheus and Covenant turn to complete  middle after the first act. I hate those films.

Quote from: Billy on August 05, 2021, 04:14:52 PMCleverest thing about that was
Spoiler alert
the death date - it's set in Xmas 2017 and the guy died 'last Christmas'. As did a certain singer on Xmas Day 2016...
[close]

Good pick tho, was expecting a shit romcom but that did impress me too.

Watched this last night. The main plot, while deep fried nonsense, was helped by the cast taking it seriously.
Really liked the background stuff about her family, again, really helped by the cast.