Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bears don't defecate in the woods, claims Shapps

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 05, 2021, 10:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteConservative donors are not "immoral" and have no influence on government policy, minister Grant Shapps has insisted, amid cash-for-access claims.

Last week, the Financial Times reported those who donated £250,000 could get access to the PM and chancellor...

Asked about the group on the BBC's Today programme, Mr Shapps, now the transport secretary, said there were "a lot of people in this country who believe in this country" and that there was "nothing inherently bad or wrong" about joining a political party.

"It doesn't change any policies but you're certainly welcome to hear about the policies," he added.

Fairly sure you're not going to donate £250,000 just to hear about the policies. And surely if you get access to the PM and Chancellor you're going to use it to influence policy in some way.

Also, no-one said there was anything "inherently bad or wrong" about joining a political party, Shapps. The concern is about donors getting access to the Prime Minister and Chancellor for paying £250,000, something 99% of the country could never afford.

Labour do offer something similar, which I don't think they should, although it costs £5,000 (still a lot of money). Plus Keir Starmar will never be Prime Minister.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58098887

Butchers Blind

¼ million to hear about government policy? Pretty sure you can buy a newspaper for less than that.

bgmnts

Why even bother addressing these things anymore? It's all so ludicrous and these cunts are laughing thenselves to death in their paedophile orgy dungeons.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 05, 2021, 10:36:47 AM

Labour do offer something similar, which I don't think they should, although it costs £5,000 (still a lot of money). Plus Keir Starmar will never be Prime Minister.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58098887

IIRC The Guardian wrote a piece last year saying that Labour were opening up again to wealthy business donors with these behind-closed-doors deals. Something they were not not into doing  a lot under Corbyn, and also something they didn't need to do, because of the large membership. But Starmer was well up for it and they needed this because everyone was fucking off from the party, which was a good thing, so they said.

NoSleep

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 05, 2021, 10:36:47 AM
Fairly sure you're not going to donate £250,000 just to hear about the policies.

Unless they're ones that exactly match what you'd wish for. And if they don't, you don't continue to donate.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: KennyMonster on August 05, 2021, 11:27:39 AM
IIRC The Guardian wrote a piece last year saying that Labour were opening up again to wealthy business donors with these behind-closed-doors deals. Something they were not not into doing  a lot under Corbyn, and also something they didn't need to do, because of the large membership. But Starmer was well up for it and they needed this because everyone was fucking off from the party, which was a good thing, so they said.

I heard some idiots try and spin this as it being totally fine, actually, as it just redresses the balance of power between business and the unions.

You know, the unions that were set up to use collective bargaining to address the power imbalance of wealthy business owners *stares into space*

Pijlstaart

Watching gap-toothed yuckster Wes Sordid get placed in the dusty recesses of the shadow cabinet has enlivened the labour movement, but not much light shines through the keyhole and out here it feels like we've lost the Real Wes. We need mechanisms for access and I can't see how we would ever do that without a pay-for-play app, whatever it is it'll be innovative and that'll only be possible with an unregulated market.

It's a new world and everything is for sale, Farage doing tiktok dances for £60 a punt, Chris Bryant airbnb-ing a range of budget romper suits hanging from his penthouse balcony, it's a great leveller and only fair we can pay for access, and we can make it accessible to all, you won't pay anything up front with the option of a progressive fixed-APR monthly repayment plan. If you're an active influencer or onlyfans creator with 3b hair, beneficent leaders of industry may sponsor you to whip and nae-nae your way before a kneeling keith to enshrine "side-hustle" as a legally protected avenue of untaxable income, putting more money in the pocket of working people.

With my £5000 I lobby keith to rebrand the homeless as Flexible Living Ambassadors and give them training bursaries to become living flowerbeds or walls of meat to keep tenants from the social housing part of new build developments away from the communal amenities.