Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:18:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death metal, or as I like to call it, BEST metal

Started by The Mollusk, August 05, 2021, 11:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: kngen on August 13, 2021, 01:38:41 PM

There's not much I see eye to eye with from the early Norwegian black metal scene - but this is definitely something we can agree on.

'Wow, that's a pretty condensed mix you've got going on there, Scott. Where are you going to fit the bass drums in?'

'Oh, I thought I'd stick them somewhere between the hi-hat and the guitar leads'

Click-click-click-clickety-clickclickclick. Click-click-click-clicketyclicketyclick-click.

Making Pete Sandoval sound like he's doing a typing test for a position in a secretarial pool. Brilliant.

What are you thinking of specifically here? The drums on World Downfall sound ace and Burns never worked with Morbid Angel, did he?

Dirty Boy

The kick drum sound is the worst thing about the aforementioned Arise.

kngen

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 13, 2021, 02:12:59 PM
What are you thinking of specifically here? The drums on World Downfall sound ace and Burns never worked with Morbid Angel, did he?

Fair point. I should have made it clear I was talking about Morrisound production in general, not just Burns.

Famous Mortimer

I'm glad someone else brought it up - I remember listening to some early...Deicide?...and the drums sounded like someone hitting a piece of paper with a matchstick.

JaDanketies

Checking out Obituary for the first time. Can't believe how much they sound like Death. Or how much the singer sounds like Chuck.

a peepee tipi

Quote from: thugler on August 09, 2021, 09:48:35 PM
Loving gorguts, I'd never heard them before and they're just fantastic. Such an original sound, something almost jazzy about it.
I only really know Obscura and I couldn't tell you what I find so captivating about it, you can't even headbang to it really, but I'm always totally engaged when I've thrown it on. It's fascinating stuff

Generally, I don't listen to much death metal anymore. I go back to Human all the time, though. Such a killer album. Edge of Sanity's Crimson still slays too

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Dirty Boy on August 13, 2021, 05:37:54 PM
The kick drum sound is the worst thing about the aforementioned Arise.

Morrisound must have had a permanently set up drum kit (maybe that's a standard thing in studios) as Arise, Butchered at Birth by CC, Death Shall Rise by Cancer and a few others I've forgotten were all recorded with the same snare, no mistaking it.

I love that triggery bass drum sound from that time. You know what Dirty Boy... you can fuck off mate. YOU CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF!

Famous Mortimer

They're billed as symphonic death metal, have a brilliant name and some absolutely banging tunes, Fleshgod Apocalypse.

This is like the third band I've discovered thanks to the "metal alarm clock" section of Ed Gamble and Matthew Crosby's Radio X show, which indicates I should probably listen to a wider range of things. But I think I need to stop pretending to myself that symphonic metal isn't the greatest thing ever and just steer into it. Fleshgod Apocalypse's Wikipedia page has this, apropos of pretty much nothing, at the end of the first paragraph.

QuoteIn 2021 a cover of "BLUE (DA BA DEE).

Dirty Boy

Gorguts fans would probably like to listen to the last couple of albums by Pyrrhon, Abscess Time and What Passes For Survival.

Are the Carcass documentaries on yt worth watching? The Napalm Death Scum doc was ok, even though it was mainly Mick Harris being a hyperactive twat in a pub.

Would Strapping Young Lad be considered death metal? Their s/t album isn't as good as City or Alien, but it sounds like Deicide and Morbid Angel. I didn't rate it at the time, but i've got more into it recently.

Magnum Valentino

The Carcass doc is made in almost the exact same way as the Scum one. I think they were produced for the same line of reissues. Carcass one benefits from having the whole band interviewed but it's similarly dingy and grotty looking. No production value at all. They've done one for Blessed are the Sick if you're into MA, too. All on the official page

Cold Meat Platter

This is the best thing I've heard in fucking years, Death/Doom/Black hybrid.
Worm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeAm9i4lgv4

Shaky

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 10, 2021, 09:04:00 PM
Are the Carcass documentaries on yt worth watching? The Napalm Death Scum doc was ok, even though it was mainly Mick Harris being a hyperactive twat in a pub.

Hard to hear at times but yes, they're well worth a watch. Plenty of interesting tidbits and down to earth insights, wry scouse humour, and it's lovely to see Ken even though he doesn't say much.

Shaky

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 14, 2021, 12:06:01 AM
This is the best thing I've heard in fucking years, Death/Doom/Black hybrid.
Worm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeAm9i4lgv4

Oooh, that is very tasty. I like the credits too:

Phantom Slaughter, Nihilistic Manifesto... L. Dusk (Lionel?)

jobotic

Shaky

The new Carcass album is now "available" a couple of days before release (definitely buying a copy too, mind) so I'll be digesting that all day!

boki

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 09, 2021, 10:32:40 PM
Rivers of Nihil's Where Owls Know My Name is an album to try if you like Gorguts' branching out. Very Tool/King Crimson. and it has a saxophone!

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on August 10, 2021, 02:53:35 AM
The last Rivers of Nihil album was excellent.

Quote from: This week's Hell Bent For Metal podcast
....listen to Rivers Of Nihil....

This new album (The Work) is really fucking good, innit? Probably gonna spend this evening going back through their discography now.  I like how they teeter on the edge of Djent at times without plunging right down into it.

idunnosomename

was a bit underwhelmed by The Work. I'll give it another "spin" now. barely metal at some points, which is fine, but it's not doing much for me at the moment. but Owls is so good I will give it time.

they were adamant not to bring the sax back, but then the songs fitted it so much, they felt they had to.

edit im going to invoke the edit bug with this but whatever, yeah, it's growing on me. lyrical themes very original and engaging, and the whole seasons stuff carrying from their previous albums. clearly a lot of thought put into it so will continue to give it a chance

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 27, 2021, 08:01:29 PM
New Succumb album is a blast.

Looking forward to checking this out today. It was featured in a recent Treble Zine article about 6 great new death metal releases, alongside two others which I'm gonna big up here:

Sermon of Flames - I Have Seen the Light, and It Was Repulsive

Such a good album title. This thing is as fucking nasty as you'd hope, great walls of dissonant atmospherics but not so much that they ever wash out the pummelling assault of the music. Had it playing on the way to work this morning and couldn't stop myself grinning at how gnarly it is.

Full album stream here

Qrixkuor - Poison Palinopsia

Epic blackened/atmospheric death metal, two 24-minute long songs with an impressive range on each one. There's a big spacious sound on it, especially in the vocals which are pushed further back in the mix and sound more like an omnipresent floating evil than the average death metal approach to vocal production of feeling like your head is being shoved against a concrete wall. I particularly liked that they don't focus too much on the progressive quieter moments, knowing exactly how much to deploy in order to set the groundwork for the heavy stuff, of which there is an abundance. This is a really great record, can't wait to listen to it again.

Full album stream here

Famous Mortimer

A video about microtonal music popped into my recommended videos today, and they led me to Last Sacrament, who make microtonal metal using guitars with 16, 26 and 31 notes. I've only dipped my toes into their stuff, but it sounds pretty fucking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzeG2Gflkk4

That Sermon Of Flames that was posted above is brilliant, and the "next video" thing was the full album of "He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten" by Fossilization, an absolute death-doom beast.

iamcoop

After my old one finally perished I've just treated myself to a long sleeve Death 'Spiritual Healing' shirt as an early birthday present to myself from the Relapse store.

Fucking tekkers band as the kids would say.

I would argue that there is no greater buzz than treating yourself to some niche merch from America that has inexcusable shipping costs that's made bearable by the excitement of waiting for that exotic package to hit the doormat that hopefully (and usually) has a few stickers thrown in for good measure.

JaDanketies

Quote from: iamcoop on October 18, 2021, 06:38:31 PMould argue that there is no greater buzz than treating yourself to some niche merch from America that has inexcusable shipping costs that's made bearable by the excitement of waiting for that exotic package to hit the doormat that hopefully (and usually) has a few stickers thrown in for good measure.

I've spent a fair bit of time trying to find anyone who'll ship the Pig Destroyer beer to the UK. Would be the ideal Christmas present for a friend and then I've got to try it too obv. People selling empty bottles on eBay

iamcoop

Quote from: JaDanketies on October 18, 2021, 06:57:06 PM
I've spent a fair bit of time trying to find anyone who'll ship the Pig Destroyer beer to the UK. Would be the ideal Christmas present for a friend and then I've got to try it too obv. People selling empty bottles on eBay

Fuckkkk I want some of that as well.

As it happens I run a pub.

Let's see if I can pull some strings. (Buy some outlandish shit hardly anyone will buy in Newcastle with a trade account)

JaDanketies

Quote from: iamcoop on October 18, 2021, 07:15:08 PM
Fuckkkk I want some of that as well.

As it happens I run a pub.

Let's see if I can pull some strings. (Buy some outlandish shit hardly anyone will buy in Newcastle with a trade account)

I'll get in on that! :)

Famous Mortimer

I live in that there USA so could...well, the beer would be flat, or might explode, if I just bunged it in the regular post. But I'll give it a go if anyone desires (and pays me first).

The Mollusk

Quote from: iamcoop on October 18, 2021, 06:38:31 PM
After my old one finally perished I've just treated myself to a long sleeve Death 'Spiritual Healing' shirt as an early birthday present to myself from the Relapse store.

Fucking tekkers band as the kids would say.

I would argue that there is no greater buzz than treating yourself to some niche merch from America that has inexcusable shipping costs that's made bearable by the excitement of waiting for that exotic package to hit the doormat that hopefully (and usually) has a few stickers thrown in for good measure.

Fuck yeah. Just got a big "Scream Bloody Gore" back patch sewn on my jacket which I'm feeling immensely cool about.

On a similar note I got pissed up in the pub the other weekend and was listening to Krallice on the tube home. When I got back I was like RIGHT, sat down and ordered 3 of their CDs off Bandcamp. The whole thing including shipping came to £50 haha.

It was Bandcamp Friday though so they got every penny, Mick Barr messaged me to say thanks and - oh yes - big Krallice logo sticker in the package. So satisfying!

JaDanketies

Gave the guitarist from Primordial (performing as Dread Sovereign) a joint and then later a bit more weed tonight after he asked for someone to sell him weed on-stage. Refused payment and apologised for pirating his stuff in the past. Beats my previous anecdotes of telling Altar of Plagues they are awesome in a hallway, or Fear Factory denying being Fear Factory

iamcoop

Wayyy late to the party here but fuckin' hell lads how good is Surgical Steel by Carcass?

It really is Best metal.

It's one of the mintest and skillest albums of the 2010s.

iamcoop