Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ayoade On Top

Started by Icehaven, August 05, 2021, 02:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Has anyone else read this? It's basically a 200 page long sarcastic review of an execrable 2003 romcom that bombed called "View From The Top", starring Gwyneth Paltrow as a wannabe air hostess. Such an odd, slight premise for an entire book by someone who could probably get his shopping list published if he wanted to. I've never been a massive fan of Ayoade but this wasn't a hate read so much as a curious read, as I may be wrong but I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone writing an entire book mocking a flimsy, throwaway film that they naturally think is total shite before, particularly not an already successful TV personality. I watched the film on YT (bad quality, Spanish subtitles several minutes out of sync) and yes of course it's awful, but I'm intrigued as to why out of god knows how many other crappy forgettable romcoms there are out there, this one ''inspired'' him? Was he having some kind of contractual spat with his publisher and chucked out something deliberately awkward? (there is actually a bit where he jokes about his ''nameless'' publisher furiously asking how they're supposed to publish a book about a film no one's seen. It's not supposed to be serious though. I don't think...)

I didn't not enjoy it though, it wasn't brilliant but it had a few moments and passed the time, but I'm more confused as to why it even exists. I mean I get that the idea is part of the joke, but to then go and take the time to actually write it?

j_u_d_a_s

Always found him, and by extension Matt Holness Matt Berry and especially Garth Marenghi, all surface and no substance so doesn't surprise me that he's stretched out a thin concept to 200 pages. No desire to read it myself but did you get any hint of a wider message or purpose to choosing that particular film?

It does have the whiff of fulfilling a multi book contract though.

Famous Mortimer

Didn't he do something similar when he was on Cats Does Countdown?

Icehaven

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on August 05, 2021, 03:51:07 PM
Always found him, and by extension Matt Holness Matt Berry and especially Garth Marenghi, all surface and no substance so doesn't surprise me that he's stretched out a thin concept to 200 pages. No desire to read it myself but did you get any hint of a wider message or purpose to choosing that particular film?

Not really no. There's a few extremely short chapters where he tells supposedly personal anecdotes peppered with made up stuff but they don't give anything away about why this film. I think maybe he was hoping something would come to him while he was writing it but then didn't.

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on August 05, 2021, 03:51:07 PM
It does have the whiff of fulfilling a multi book contract though.

Yes it does, it's the 3rd book he wrote about film for Faber, so as I said before I wonder if the bit where his exasperated publisher asks how they're supposed to sell a book about a film no one's seen actually happened.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on August 05, 2021, 02:34:53 PM
Has anyone else read this? It's basically a 200 page long sarcastic review of an execrable 2003 romcom that bombed called "View From The Top", starring Gwyneth Paltrow as a wannabe air hostess. Such an odd, slight premise for an entire book by someone who could probably get his shopping list published if he wanted to. I've never been a massive fan of Ayoade but this wasn't a hate read so much as a curious read, as I may be wrong but I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone writing an entire book mocking a flimsy, throwaway film that they naturally think is total shite before, particularly not an already successful TV personality. I watched the film on YT (bad quality, Spanish subtitles several minutes out of sync) and yes of course it's awful, but I'm intrigued as to why out of god knows how many other crappy forgettable romcoms there are out there, this one ''inspired'' him? Was he having some kind of contractual spat with his publisher and chucked out something deliberately awkward? (there is actually a bit where he jokes about his ''nameless'' publisher furiously asking how they're supposed to publish a book about a film no one's seen. It's not supposed to be serious though. I don't think...)

I didn't not enjoy it though, it wasn't brilliant but it had a few moments and passed the time, but I'm more confused as to why it even exists. I mean I get that the idea is part of the joke, but to then go and take the time to actually write it?

That's disappointing to read, I bought it a couple of weeks ago as it was only a quid and hoped it might be fun, but I'm not sure I'll bother with it now, or it'll at least go to the bottom of my to read list.

Icehaven

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 05, 2021, 05:35:47 PM
That's disappointing to read, I bought it a couple of weeks ago as it was only a quid and hoped it might be fun, but I'm not sure I'll bother with it now, or it'll at least go to the bottom of my to read list.

I wouldn't unrecommend it, and it's an extremely quick read so I'd still give it a go. If you haven't already seen it (and I'd wager you haven't) I'd watch the film first though, I got about 20 pages in before realising as much as it was 90 minutes of my life I wasn't getting back reading the rest of the book was going to be even more of a waste of time if I didn't know what he was on about. Who knows though, it might be better not to and just imagine.

thundarrshirt

Worked in a bookshop when this came out in hardback and, despite the niche premise, it sold like warm cake. No guarantee any of the people who bought it liked it, mind.

Ayoade's an odd duck, isn't he? Didn't think his other books were much cop either, hewing to the same slightly-off-beat but not particularly arch light entertainer persona he has on Travel Man, the panel shows etc. Then at the same time Submarine and The Double especially (although admittedly I watched both as a fresh-faced and disgustingly earnest ingenue) did an uncommonly good job of depicting isolation, anxiety and depression. Who is the real Ayoade, eh? He can only be one or the other!

Icehaven

Quote from: thundarrshirt on August 05, 2021, 08:58:23 PM
Worked in a bookshop when this came out in hardback and, despite the niche premise, it sold like warm cake. No guarantee any of the people who bought it liked it, mind.

I'm interested to hear that! Did the hardback cover have a big picture of him on it like the paperback did? Wonder if many people just assumed it was his biography, particularly also with his name being in the title.

thundarrshirt

Quote from: icehaven on August 05, 2021, 09:14:03 PM
I'm interested to hear that! Did the hardback cover have a big picture of him on it like the paperback did? Wonder if many people just assumed it was his biography, particularly also with his name being in the title.

Sure did, and you're almost certainly right! Was a big Christmas seller. Not sure on the number of returns a week later.

sevendaughters

it's kind of an extended pisstake/appreciation of Film Studies as a thing; I actually think he's a sincere cineaste locked in a block ironic ice. I thought it amusing, and part of me admires the idea, but mocking the humanities for its earnestness/overstatement feels politically mistimed. And ultimately the book is throwaway, it's not like there's secretly a kernel of rethinking trash cinema in there, which could actually be an interesting counter to postmodernism etc.

sevendaughters

he did a precursor to this as well under the name Gordy LaSure, which was kind of a mockery of Hollywood capitalist approaches to film.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 05, 2021, 09:45:35 PM
it's kind of an extended pisstake/appreciation of Film Studies as a thing; I actually think he's a sincere cineaste locked in a block ironic ice. I thought it amusing, and part of me admires the idea, but mocking the humanities for its earnestness/overstatement feels politically mistimed. And ultimately the book is throwaway, it's not like there's secretly a kernel of rethinking trash cinema in there, which could actually be an interesting counter to postmodernism etc.

Yea the irony thing really stops any interesting readings to happen I think. Being interested in cinema, being able to make good cinema and being able to have interesting things to say about cinema are all very different skills

Natnar

For a moment i thought this thread was about a remake of Girls On Top with Richard Ayoade playing every role.

Jake Thingray

Would never read anything by Ayoade so don't know if it's mentioned, but Gwyneth Paltrow spending a good deal of View From The Top wearing bikinis, bending over and behaving flirtily is really rather pleasant.

13 schoolyards

About ten years ago a friend of mine who'd also grown up seeing endless VHS trailers for The Manga Collection referred to him as "Cyber City Oedo Ayoade" which for mine remains the funniest thing he's ever been connected with.

PlanktonSideburns

There's a bit of a vibe of

Look at me, RICHARD AYOADE

WATCHING PLEB THINGS

AND PRETENDING THEY'RE GOOD

Grand tour of those quaint films that aren't based on Russian books

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 05, 2021, 09:47:15 PM
he did a precursor to this as well under the name Gordy LaSure, which was kind of a mockery of Hollywood capitalist approaches to film.

One of the worst things i've read in years. Endless trite and obvious satire. Schmucks like movies with tits and explosions!

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 07, 2021, 09:39:29 AM
There's a bit of a vibe of

Look at me, RICHARD AYOADE

WATCHING PLEB THINGS

AND PRETENDING THEY'RE GOOD

Grand tour of those quaint films that aren't based on Russian books

This is what irked me about Garth Marenghi. There's a line from Dean Learner/Ayaode in one of the talking head sections that goes "This could easily be as big as Quantum Leap" that I think is key to why I just didn't get on with it. There's a hint of sneeriness about what was just another perfectly entertaining sci-fi show of its time. Not a cultural landmark sure but not a dreadful disaster and actually had a fairly big audience for what was just escapism. Darkplace was a parody of a sort of show that could have existed in the early 80s, Quantum Leap didn't start til 1989. Pedantic? Yes, but when you're selling your spoof as tribute to an era of TV then you better get your details spot on.

Even without that nitpick, the talking heads always felt like at best an unnecessary layer of self indulgence and an admittance of weak writing at worst. All those character details could have been mixed into the parody show instead (but I will say, it does deliver the "I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards!" line which is genuinely brilliant).

Anyway, point is Ayoade is still doing 6th form revue as an adult. Too indebted to his influences without bringing anything new to them or understanding what made them work.

sevendaughters

Take your point on the details but the talking heads was a good parody of television's over-eagerness when it comes making a hagiography.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Natnar on August 05, 2021, 10:55:42 PM
For a moment i thought this thread was about a remake of Girls On Top with Richard Ayoade playing every role.

Hee! I instinctively sing # of the Kensington town# to meself every time I see the thread title.

Good post, this.

Fambo Number Mive

Read this a couple of days ago, enjoyed it even though it's not difficult to make quips about a film like he reviewed. I do enjoy reviews of bad and/or cliched films, would love to read his take on Batman Forever or Judge Dredd (1995).

Oosp

Haven't read it, but am reminded of this - my favourite video on the Internet:

Icehaven

Quote from: kitsofan34 on February 14, 2023, 08:36:01 AMHe's finally back doing films, following years of penance appearing on panel shows.

https://pitchfork.com/news/richard-ayoade-to-direct-and-star-in-george-saunders-film-adaptation-the-semplica-girl-diaries/

Bloody hell, I've done that story with various reading groups so I've read it half a dozen times and I'm still virtually unable to picture how the display works, so I'm genuinely fascinated to see how they do it.

Petey Pate

Must admit my innate dislike for Ayoade was challenged when Boots Riley sincerely recommend The Grip of Film as one of the best and most inspiring books on cinema he's read. Still haven't got around to checking it out though.

Quote from: Oosp on February 14, 2023, 10:19:56 AMHaven't read it, but am reminded of this - my favourite video on the Internet:

Whenever I've shown this to people the reaction is always 'why is this an hour long?' Impressively, it was filmed entirely in one take.

Urinal Cake

He's a dumb comedian's idea of a smart comedian. It's why Fielding etc love him.

Virgo76

I've nothing against Ayoade.
However, I tried this a few years ago and couldn't get through it.
I'd previously read one of his other film-related books which had its moments but wasn't great.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Was it here I read someone describing a footlights documentary with Ayoade in it basically being a bit of an arsehole throughout? What was it

Petey Pate

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on February 16, 2023, 09:56:05 AMWas it here I read someone describing a footlights documentary with Ayoade in it basically being a bit of an arsehole throughout? What was it

There was a thread about this some years ago. As someone probably noted back then, it's quite striking how different Ayoade is compared to his current public persona.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=62472.0

lb99

God I'd hate to be judged now by how I acted 25 years ago as a student.