Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:00:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Strange emotional responses

Started by kalowski, August 05, 2021, 04:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I cried when Danny Kendall George Harrison died. I like The Beatles, and had a soft spot for George, but to this day I have no idea why his death made me cry.
Am I alone or have any other readers had unexpected emotional responses to stuff?

Jasha

Just means you're a nicer human being that you thought

Buelligan

Don't know.  Sometimes feel being human is like being an egg.  Full of formless or formed inner life.  Sometimes we crack and a bit leaks out.

Sometimes we cry because we can because we crack but the crying is about something completely else.  Maybe we don't even know what.  Not on the surface, anyway.

bgmnts

I get spiritually horny when it rains.

Twit 2

Quote from: Buelligan on August 05, 2021, 05:29:36 PM
Don't know.  Sometimes feel being human is like being an eggwe.  Full of formless or formed inner life.  Sometimes we crack and a bit leaks out.

Sometimes we cry because we can because we crack but the crying is about something completely else.  Maybe we don't even know what.  Not on the surface, anyway.

Onions?

bgmnts

Actually in honesty at this point due to the touch starvation I get a very strange mixture of excitement and discomfort if someone touches me. If a woman touches me it's doubled with a hint of goosebumps.

I don't think that is a normal emotional response.

kalowski

Quote from: bgmnts on August 05, 2021, 05:38:27 PM
Actually in honesty at this point due to the touch starvation I get a very strange mixture of excitement and discomfort if someone touches me. If a woman touches me it's doubled with a hint of goosebumps.

This was Captain Tom's excuse.

flotemysost

Quote from: kalowski on August 05, 2021, 04:49:06 PM
Am I alone or have any other readers had unexpected emotional responses to stuff?

Ha, I'm ridiculously sensitive and cry/feel overly sad or emotional about fucking everything, always have done. Apparently at primary school once the teacher had to console me because I'd finished reading a book I loved, and I was sad because I was going to miss the characters. There are certain songs I can't listen to/be within earshot of in public because I know I won't be able to control my emotional reaction - not even because they remind me of a person/time/place or anything, sometimes it's just the combination of notes that does it.

Not quite sure how I've managed to survive/function this far, really. Don't think I've ever cried at a celebrity death tbf, though I suspect it's only a matter of time.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 05, 2021, 05:38:27 PM

That's very relatable (see: my Remain Indoors anecdote about getting an amazing head massage as part of a haircut deal earlier this year, and feeling like I should probably be hastily paying in cash in a seedy basement room somewhere then sneaking out the back, such was the weirdness of intimate touch in an oddly clinical environment after being starved for so long).

I also once burst into tears during a cervical smear, for similar reasons - not that it was in any way enjoyable obviously, it just felt bizarre being so exposed and physically vulnerable/close to someone in that context - so yeah, that's completely understandable.

Tony Tony Tony

I frequently tear up watching The Repair Shop and consider this completely normal.

Buelligan

Quote from: flotemysost on August 05, 2021, 06:24:47 PM
Apparently at primary school once the teacher had to console me because I'd finished reading a book I loved, and I was sad because I was going to miss the characters.

Indeed.  Every book (almost every book), film or series, I've really enjoyed, I close, cease to view, before the end because I cannot stand a thing to be ended.  I walk away and it lives on without me.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 05, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
I frequently tear up watching The Repair Shop and consider this completely normal.

Your avatar almost made me do a cry. I'm very easily emotionally manipulated, the sight of "cute" things, teddy bears, old toys, anything with a big smiley face really, getting destroyed, always tears my heart out.

N64 and PS1 music from when I was young and innocent, that too. This piece, from Croc: Legend Of The Gobbos, is almost unbearable in terms of the heart strings it pulls in me.

https://youtu.be/blwldbqmBpA

willbo

I was a big Discworld fan and met Terry Pratchett as a kid, but when he died, I felt kind of sad that I wasn't more sad. I sat there re-reading his "last tweet" (the one his daughter had ready to post) and trying to feel something. I dunno, I guess it just didn't feel real. Maybe it's because I liked them more as a kid and had moved on a little. I think maybe I just haven't had an artist/creator I'm currently feeling close to go yet.

kalowski

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 05, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
Bloody hell, yes, that's an absolute tear jerker every time.
When I was in my late 20s I moved back in with my mum (I'm still there now at 49). If I had a lot to drink on a Saturday I'd end up in floods of tears watching Suprise Surprise, which she loved.

Cerys

Quote from: flotemysost on August 05, 2021, 06:24:47 PM
I also once burst into tears during a cervical smear

Not ideal behaviour for a gynaecologist, it must be said.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on August 05, 2021, 05:30:49 PM
I get spiritually horny when it rains.

What do you do about it

LIVE IN CWMBRAN!

PlanktonSideburns

Can't get very far into that Jesus Blood Never failed Me Wrong tune with out going to bits

madhair60

Quote from: Buelligan on August 05, 2021, 07:07:56 PM
Indeed.  Every book (almost every book), film or series, I've really enjoyed, I close, cease to view, before the end because I cannot stand a thing to be ended.  I walk away and it lives on without me.

I do this as well and I honestly thought I was insane.

I'm doing this with Nirvanna the Band the Show right now. Every episode is so utterly life affirming, so beautiful and so funny that I just can't bear the idea of it ever ending.

chveik

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 05, 2021, 10:50:44 PM
Can't get very far into that Jesus Blood Never failed Me Wrong tune with out going to bits

surely that's the effect he was going for

Buelligan

Quote from: madhair60 on August 05, 2021, 11:05:38 PM

I'm doing this with Nirvanna the Band the Show right now. Every episode is so utterly life affirming, so beautiful and so funny that I just can't bear the idea of it ever ending.

:)  That's beautiful, m

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: madhair60 on August 05, 2021, 11:05:38 PM

I feel the same when watching an episode of Dogtanian

sevendaughters

I've had a total fuck of a last two years in the tragedy stakes but the only time I cried was the other day when I remembered Derek Redmond at the 1992 Olympics.

WhoMe

Any interview with old veterans from WWII completely does me in. Especially when they're trying to be humorous or put a brave face on while describing things they experienced. Just that flicker of trouble that comes across once the smile fades.

mothman

The Martian makes me cry. I console myself that it also made Neil DeGrasse Tyson cry, albeit for more identifiable and different reasons.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You know that bit in Bad Lieutenant where Harvey Keitel wanks against the side of the two girl's car? You're meant to find it disturbing (a friend who saw it at the cinema told me that several people walked out during that scene). I laughed. There's just this completely unintentional bit of comedy timing after Keitel has spunked up and done up his fly, where he looks at the girls and then just storms off into the night.

chveik

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 06, 2021, 01:52:34 AM
You know that bit in Bad Lieutenant where Harvey Keitel wanks against the side of the two girl's car? You're meant to find it disturbing (a friend who saw it at the cinema told me that several people walked out during that scene). I laughed. There's just this completely unintentional bit of comedy timing after Keitel has spunked up and done up his fly, where he looks at the girls and then just storms off into the night.

it's a pretty funny film (unintentionally since how much of a catholic ferrara was at a the time, but him and the cast where all on drugs while shooting the film)

Bigfella

Often watch terrible things happening on the news and say 'poor buggers' and am actually stony faced and thinking about my next snack.  After 9/11 when those near the towers were weeping and ohmygodding I thought Jesus, aren't new yorkers supposed to be tough? Yet after the tsunami in 2004 I saw a woman who had lost kids, pacing a room and shrieking.  That really ripped right through me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on August 06, 2021, 02:14:05 AM
it's a pretty funny film (unintentionally since how much of a catholic ferrara was at a the time, but him and the cast where all on drugs while shooting the film)

What happened to Zoe Lund is pretty sad.

thugler

Bowie AND Prince deaths. I think I was just really emotionally unstable at the time and having all these massive highs and crushing lows, probably tied greatly to bingeing on alcohol and then caffeine to get through subsequent days. Felt a bit stupid afterwards. But I am pretty sensitive and can be set off by books/films/art/music fairly often, usually in more positive ways though. Sometimes I'm just so blown away by stuff that I get shivers and feel a bit teary basically.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 05, 2021, 10:50:44 PM

Great example. Just builds and builds.

kalowski

Fir both Bowie and Prince I was at work, and on my own. The headline about Bowie was released early one morning, and I just sat dumbfounded and almost winded.
The info about Prince came early evening, and I'd been doing something at work and just said goodbye to some visitors. As I walked to the car I checked the news alert that had popped up on my phone. I was devastated.
But neither made me cry, whilst George Harrison did. I wasn't even working for the utter cunt I could have used as a stress based excuse.

non capisco

I was carrying around the uncertainty of Bob Odenkirk's fate like a bowling ball of dread in the gut the other week, almost like it was someone I knew personally. I can rationalise it by tying it in with the ill health of a parent at the moment and just the shittiness of everybody's last year and a half. With a healthy dose of selfish "Oh, right, that'll be the fucking capper on all this bullshit, won't it? They'll never finish Better Call Saul!"