Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:12:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Left-wing sitcoms & comedy on TV

Started by tribalfusion, August 05, 2021, 05:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribalfusion

I originally posted this in another part of the forum a while back but this might be a better place for it.

While there certainly are left-wing comedians like Mark Thomas or Rob Newman, can you come up with markedly left-wing comedy shows or sitcoms from TV?  It's especially hard to think of a left-wing sitcom.

Some of the shows which occurred to me as coming closest to this are the Mark Thomas Comedy Product, Redacted Tonight (Lee Camp) and the Stewart Lee Comedy Vehicle. Mark Steel & Rob Newman have had some programs which deserve a mention. What else would you suggest?  Maybe Alexei Sayle and a few bits from the early Simpsons or Superstore. For those of you who speak Spanish, there's Peter Capusotto from Argentina as well.

Bonus points for anything from the past few years but older references are also appreciated.

Thanks!

Bad Ambassador

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: tribalfusion on August 05, 2021, 05:47:32 PM
It's especially hard to think of a left-wing sitcom.

I bet it is, you dirty old bollocks.

steveh

Perhaps more subtly rather than markedly, but Nightingales?

Jake Thingray

Struggle, by Peter Jenkins, starring Tim Pigott-Smith and Ray Smith.

Norton Canes

SpiderChrist

kalowski

Quote from: SpiderChrist on August 06, 2021, 10:01:21 AM
Up The Elephant And Round The Castle
What was that like. My dad watched it, but I can't remember anything about it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Despite the fact that Rick is portrayed as a posturing prick with a merely superficial grasp of left-wing politics, the anti-Tory sentiments in The Young Ones were entirely sincere.

Catalogue Trousers

The same can also be said of Filthy, Rich & Catflap: although the primary target was the back-slapping self-serving of the showbiz network, it also took time out to excoriate the right-wing popular press in no uncertain manner. Perhaps given the times, Friday/Saturday Live also had a clear left-wing slant to a lot of its stand-up and sketches.

tribalfusion

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 06, 2021, 04:09:53 PM
Despite the fact that Rick is portrayed as a posturing prick with a merely superficial grasp of left-wing politics, the anti-Tory sentiments in The Young Ones were entirely sincere.

Yep the Young Ones came up in the other iteration of this thread. I agree that there's at least a general sense of anti-Tory sentiment there though the negative portrayal of Rick is pretty noteworthy as well.

It's interesting that almost every suggestion is from a show several decades old and generally none of them is a slam dunk so to speak.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: kalowski on August 06, 2021, 11:31:09 AM
What was that like. My dad watched it, but I can't remember anything about it.

Apologies - I was in a facetious mood. It was not markedly left wing. It was shit, though. That I do remember.

tribalfusion

Quote from: Jake Thingray on August 06, 2021, 08:40:14 AM
Struggle, by Peter Jenkins, starring Tim Pigott-Smith and Ray Smith.

I'm unable to find much online about Struggle beyond basic summaries. Would you mind describing it a bit more please?

Jake Thingray

There are places to find things out apart from being online.

tribalfusion

Quote from: Jake Thingray on August 07, 2021, 03:01:20 PM
There are places to find things out apart from being online.

I'm not in the UK; where would you like me to 'find out' about an old TV show which was never even broadcast where I'm located?

Brundle-Fly

tribalfusion

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 08, 2021, 09:25:26 AM
This is pretty comprehensive.

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/mark-lewisohn/radio-times-guide-to-tv-comedy/9780563487555?gclid=CjwKCAjwgb6IBhAREiwAgMYKRp10wTprzPx4Fao6JTJwHaW6WzhUZiLr7G40jv4IS-SgfAUR8X9u2hoCE-wQAvD_BwE

Thanks. That book is unlikely to approach the show (if it's even in there) in terms of the subject of this thread, however.

Any more suggestions from anybody? Bonus points for something I might actually be able to find...